Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #1  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Question I'm... just... not....hungry....

I know it's extremely bad for your metabolism when you don't eat, but what do you do when you're JUST NOT HUNGRY???

I mean whenever I do eat, I dont go crazy and binge eat and scarf down a tub of peanut butter, I eat a normal meal, but lately I just have no appetite or hunger at all.

Take yesterday for example, I woke up early to drop off the fiancé at his brothers house around 10, and I wasn't hungry, I ran errands all morning then by 2pm, I had a chicken wrap with lettuce, no sauce.

And that kept me full all day.

Now this morning, I made myself a protein shake, knowing very well I wasn't hungry, but drank the shake so I get some calories in...

Does this happen to anyone other than me? Is my body rejecting the idea of food?

I really dont mean to sound stupid or ignorant, I just dont know what is happening, oh and when I do end up eating a meal, I just get nauseous for the entire day. I don't throw up, because that's by far the one thing I find the most disgusting in the world. lol But I do end up gagging a lot.

Of course, my weight loss has stalled, as it is clearly not getting enough calories...

So I guess my question is:
How do I get my body to want food again?
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Can you eat smaller quantities, or when you do eat, make it high-cal food? Instead of the chicken wrap with no sauce, have mayo-filled chicken salad on actual bread or something? That way when you do eat, at least you get calories. Snack on some walnuts or macadamia nuts? Eat full-fat yogurts and cheeses? That would at least up your cal intake without increasing volume.

I think it's normal to go through periods of un-hungry to some extent, but if it lasts for an abnormal length of time maybe you should see a dr? Especially where the gagging and wanting to barf is concerned.
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I can help you with the not hungry part, but if you're getting nauseous around food you might want to see WHY that's happening.

I hardly feel hungry anymore once I realized that my "hunger" was just food cravings. However, like you I could go quite a long time without eating if I were to simply listen to hunger cues.

I eat on a schedule to avoid getting to the end of the day without many calories. As soon as I wake up, I eat breakfast. Around noon I eat lunch. Around 5:00 or so I'll eat dinner and usually not eat anything else for the rest of the day. I do this regardless of whether or not I'm hungry.

Granted the schedule changes if I'm going out to eat or something of that nature, but for the most part that's my day. I might throw a snack or two in there (usually fruit or a fiber one bar) if I'm having a particularly strong craving.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I don't know the answer, but I'm noticing with myself that I fluctuate a lot with my hunger. I went fro a couple months where 1100 calories a day PLUS exercising 4 times a week for an hour was enough. I wasn't hungry, so why eat more than I felt hungry for?

Fast forward to now and I'm just plain hungry and had to up my caloric intake to 1600 with 7 days of exercise a week for an hour at a time. Eating less, builds up my cravings.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

like BBB, my hunger tends to vary over time. I don't count calories on my plan, but there are just times when I eat more food because I'm hungry and times where a few bites of food is enough to fill me up. Mostly I feel fine either way, although I do find that if I am feeling consistently tired, it's usually because I am not eating enough, and I try to make a bit of an effort to eat more consistently, even if it's still small portions.

If this is just for a few days, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure to stay well hydrated as we normally get a fair amount of our water intake from food. If it's been longer than a few days, and if the nausea is getting worse, I'd definitely call your doctor.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
what do you do when you're JUST NOT HUNGRY???
Before I post an answer, I just want to clarify that after I lose my desired amount of weight, I intend to stop calorie counting & go to intuitive eating for maintenance.

Now, having said that, there are plenty of times when I am "just not hungry". I do not force myself to eat during those times, because I believe my body is learning the cues it needs to learn in order to find & stay at a healthy weight (for me.) And having said that , I also know the importance of getting proper nutrition as well. So I take into consideration the time of day that I am "not hungry." If it's at or near breakfast time, then I make sure I have SOMETHING, be it a protein shake/bar, piece of toast, one boiled egg, whatever - because that really does seem to set me up for the rest of the day & if I don't eat something upon awakening (within a couple hours) I do tend to get a bit dizzy & feel not-so-great physically.

But if it's around lunch or dinner time, then I just don't worry about it. I don't eat if I don't feel like eating. Mainly because that's been part of my unhealthy attitude toward food all my life. "oh, it's lunch time! time to eat!" ...or...."Hey! somebody brought donuts!! Ummm... donuts!!!" without giving one iota of attention to whether or not I was actually HUNGRY.

I also have the "oh-my-god-I'm-ravenous!" feelings as well. Then I take care to have a snack between meals or an extra helping of veggies or whatever it takes to make sure I don't have that gnawing feeling because it's that constant gnawing feeling that seems to set me up for a binge. And that's EXACTLY what I'm trying to conquer in my life concerning food: binging.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

You can mess up your metabolism is you're going for too long on a very very low calorie diet, so I definitely suggest trying to eat smaller amounts of food spaced out during the day. If the foods you're eating are making you sick, you might have developed an allergy or sensitivity to something you eat regularly. I'm not sure if this is the answer but an example of a similar situation I know of is a friend at college started getting sick after eating every meal and then lost her appetite. She went to the doctor and ended up having a gluten intolerance. Since gluten is in almost everything she ate, it explained why eating triggered her to feel sick.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #8  
Move over Kim Kardashian!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Thanks so much everyone!! I have been trying to eat smaller foods with higher calories just to see how it goes for the next couple days...

im still not hungry but at least im not going to ruin my metabolism.
caramelkitty is offline   Reply With Quote