Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Default Apple Cider Vinegar and its effects?

Hi all, I have a question that I'm hoping some of you can answer.
Yesterday I was googling ways to cut down on cravings, and how to keep my mind off food. Well I came across a website that was dedicated to information on apple cider vinegar. The site gave general information but also a longggg list of benefits from ingesting 2 tbsp 2-3 times a day. It said that it helps with cravings, weight loss, acid reflux, digestion, energy, mood, arthritis pain, cellulite, sleep and overall health. I saw this and I was thinking there is no way it could do all of that. But as I kept clicking around the site there were TONS, literally tons of reviews and comments on people's personal experiences with it; all good. So I thought it might be worth a try since it is so inexpensive in stores, and hey if it can help control my insane cravings, i'm in!

So I went out and bought the recommended bottle today from the store and took 2 tbsp in a glass of water. As you can imagine the taste was a little hard to get down, but nothing I can't get used to. I feel energized? But that could be because I went to the gym today and had a good dinner. And that might be because that's what my brain wants to happen.

Anyways, I would like to know if any of you have ever tried this and what your experiences were? Have you heard about this? Did you try it and get results? Please share!
whatupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Just realized there was a thread below mine on the same topic, sorry about that. Can anyone give any more reviews beyond the other post?
whatupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/245/150

Height: 5'3

I can't find the other thread with this question (I'm a newbie! ha), so I may be repeating some things. I did a lot of research on it a year ago because I was super sick and leaving for vegas in a week. Ended up drinking a couple tb a day in water and it helped me kick a sinus infection / congestion that I could not get rid of.
I have read concerns about potential damage because vinegar is an acid. But for the most part the concerns for targeted towards people with acid reflux or thyroid issues. There is SO MUCH information and discussion on the positives and negatives, its so hard to say!
So I go with moderation. I don't use it every day but probably 3 or 4 times a week. I don't notice anything different when I use it but I like it as a healthier alternative. Instead of salad dressing I use a combination of the ACV and Salad Supreme (made by McCormick, I cannot live without it) and a little bit of splenda to cut the sourness. I use the same thing on sliced cucumbers as a snack and it is pretty good.
And hey if your brain wants to think the ACV is giving you more energy , whether it is or not, even better! haha
OnaMission29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #4  

I tried ACV for reflux (contrary to my thoughts that it really didn't make sense to add acid to combat acid!), and I was miserable. Then someone pointed out that they had never heard of a GI doctor recommending it (now, skeptics could make points about making money, but....I'm inclined to believe most doctors don't want patients to suffer!). But, that was just my experience, and that's purely on the GI aspect. Good luck, whatever you do!
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This has been a fad diet that's been around since at least the 1950's.

I've often heard it said that a side effect is foul gym-sock scented body odor.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote