General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #1  
New Beacher!

S/C/G: 174/154/125

Height: 5' 4"

Default Annoyed

So, our company is all about supporting the American Heart Association... and every other day or so we get an email from HR (with subject lines like "please take a moment to read") that are about eating nuts for health or how exercise is good for you.. blah blah blah.. it's getting to be like nagging..

I know that part of this is to help reduce health insurance costs.

But yesterday? yesterday was the kicker.

I go to the bathroom and (ahem) sit down and taped on the inside of the bathroom door at what is now eye level is the "Stall Street Journal".

Evidently this is our "newsletter" on healthy eating and exercise and I quote:

Quote:
The information contained in this monthly publication will help arm us with the information we all need to make informed choices that will enhance our personal health and reduce our group health care consumption. Since our health plan is experience rated, the more claims we have as a group the higher our annual health premium increases.
People around here USE their health insurance because we have 3 people with spouses with cancer, one employee with cancer, two with kids who have celiac disease, one with a kid with albinoism and the various health problems that roll along with that.. and a broken bone here or there. MOST of the people in this office are already health conscious.

This is the "healthy" peach float recipe they are recommending. We got this in our email too so I copied and pasted. Serves 4

Quote:
1 can (15 ounces) peaches, drained, except for 1/2 cup juice
4 cups vanilla ice milk
32 ounces club soda or seltzer water
1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
Ground nutmeg, to taste
I guess this came from the mayo clinic.. but OMG is there enough SUGAR in this thing? The best part? It's right next to the article on diabetes.

I'm really getting annoyed by all the constant info that I'm being bombarded with every day.. I GET IT. I eat what is healthy for MY body and I'm really not convinced that this recipe is "healthy"

I think, what the problem really is, is that the definition of healthy changes based on the most current "research" that is founded by one organization or another with either an agenda or a goverment subsidy to support.

But seriously.. the BATHROOM!?

Last edited by KicknKnit; 08-12-2011 at 10:04 AM.
KicknKnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

lol
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #3  

I get so much spam from my bcbs plan I almost put the number they use to call me to let me know I am doing well with my 'diabetes'. Well gee I have it now for 35 years I really do not think talking to someone about how to take my blood sugar will benefit me nor diet tips lol. My company also has a self clinic where if you give the company a basic health exam ( blood work is free). You get 50 dollars off your insurance per 6 months. Ok tmi to give them. I feel for you it is awful but maybe they were told if they spam this they might get a discount
strangewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Wow.

Can you not go to HR with your issue? I would. It's getting stalkerish!

If not, take a sharpie and write substitutions to the recipes
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #5  
New Beacher!

It's HR that's sending them.. that's the worst/best part.

I'm totally wanting to take a pen and write "calories: one bazillion" next to that recipe... which sits over the "burn 149 calories with Water aerobics!" article.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #6  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

We get them in our emails. Typically, they are stalking the overweight. They used to stalk the smokers but then they had semi-free quit smoking clinics and someone had a stroke from, presumably, the chantix that was part of the program. They haven't had the quit smoking programs for a while, but they sure love to push weight watchers at work. Part of the incentive to join is 1/2 price if you attend 1/2 of the meetings in a 16 week series. It is interesting how it is the cancers and the premie kids with ongoing health problems and the ivf coverage and the real illnesses that up the costs, but they focus on the overweight people. I guess picking on the overweight really is the last tolerated inequity, but its done in the name of getting everyone healthier, and saving insurance costs. What can you do?

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 08-12-2011 at 12:06 PM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #7  
Goals are the fuel

S/C/G: 176/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I say you reply to HR and request to "opt-out" of their emails, or that you'd like to change to the one-email-a-quarter plan.
FurnaceOfAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'll move this to General Chatter where it'll get move coverage.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #9  
New Beacher!

whoops! sorry.. yes you are right.. this is a better place for this. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 185.5/175/125

Height: 5'3"

It's not only companies but the government, I guess its their way of trying to off set this country wide health care plan that we can neither afford nor do more than half of Americans even want.
Abigail207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

I can see how that would be annoying. Sorry you all have to deal with that. My company doesn't give a flying crap about that stuff. Thankfully I have my own health insurance.
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #12  
it's always something

I hope you don't mind a different viewpoint

First, I think as long as it's a company provided email account then I see no problem with the spam. But if it's a personal email account they should think twice. Maybe they should suggest everyone get a new gmail account just for work purposes and they can spam away.

I'm not sure how I feel about the bathroom literature. I'm sure it was surprise, but there are a lot worse things that could be read on the bathroom walls It's still their territory, though, and if they are trying to make efficient use of every opportunity, then I see nothing wrong with that.

I really think it's fantastic that a company is willing to become active in promoting good health. It sounds like a very subtle way of going about it, compared to other stories I've heard.

BUT I think if they are going to go this route that they should be a little more careful. Providing a recipe for Diabetes in a Glass is a definite fail. I also hope they offer healthier options in the snack area as well.

It sounds like they are using a generic newsletter that may come off as too informative (lecture?) and less personal. Maybe they should solicit stories from people who have made improvements in their health, to put the spotlight where it belongs. Personally, I'd like to see in black and white what kind of savings I could expect in my health plan if I did this or that. Nudges can do wonders.

Where I'd really like to see diet and health tips posted is in the lounges and bathrooms of those who decide our childrens school lunch menus. But that's another thread
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #13  
Made of Starstuff

I think my favorite part is that a recipe was taped to a door in the bathroom...

And what's healthier for one person is ... diabetes overload for another!

I guess it's good that they're trying, but I did have to laugh about it being in the bathroom
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

First of all I am all for reading material being posted on the bathroom stall door! Especially the sports page

I also am for companies e-mailing or news-lettering any solid information on healthier living.....

as with all info we must do our own research

I absolutely see no reason any company or any living being should not try to keep health care costs down...

I went to the Mayo Clinic website and actually found some great information there

The recipe posted was from there...to be honest, it doesn't look all that bad to me It is a dessert....I think it is a great alternative to one full of fat.

RECIPE ~

Dietitian's tip: This refreshing beverage is made with club soda — a carbonated water that is the forerunner of sugary soda pop. This float is a good source of calcium.
By Mayo Clinic staff
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 can (15 ounces) peaches, drained, except for 1/2 cup juice
4 cups vanilla ice milk
32 ounces club soda or seltzer water
1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
Ground nutmeg, to taste

Directions

In a small bowl, mash the peaches with a fork. Divide the mashed peaches into 4 glasses (12 ounces each). Add to each glass 2 tablespoons of the peach juice and 1 cup ice milk. Pour 1 cup soda or seltzer into the glasses. Top each drink with 2 tablespoons whipped topping and a dusting of nutmeg. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Analysis
(per serving)

Serving size: 1 peach float

Calories

Cholesterol

18 mg

Protein

5 g

Sodium

177 mg

Carbohydrate

48 g

Fiber

1 g

Total fat

7 g

Potassium

421 mg

Saturated fat

5 g

Calcium

194 mg

Monounsaturated fat

1 g
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #15  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm finding that the older I get, the less annoyed I get.

Deleted the emails and don't read the bathroom stuff. Life's too short to spend it being annoyed.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote