Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #1  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Default I know the what - now I need to know the how

This is going to be more of a ramblings than a question...

I have the "what" figured out: eat less, exercise more. But now I need to work on the "how". The exercise thing... well, I got that covered. I am training (simultaneously) for a Triathlon and a Half Marathon. So... I've been exercising. A lot. Everything hurts. I have also been eating (and drinking ) whatever the heck I want. I haven't been gaining... but I haven't been losing, either.

I get home from work and the "crazed person" inside takes over. I'm tired - I worked hard (both in my job and at the gym). I want to snuggle my toddler on the couch and watch TV and play on my computer and eat something cheesy and salty (and have a drink! ).

All day, I have everything planned out... my low-sugar instant oatmeal. My lean proteins and organic veggies from a CSA. My one serving of something salty and crunchy. My chobani yogurt or LF cottage cheese. I even DRINK WATER! Whoa!!

So... I need to hoan in on the evening issue. I think I need to start with having a snack set aside and pre portioned that I can eat as soon as I walk in the door. This will help curb the insane hunger. (might also eat my afternoon apple on the way home from work...)

I need to plan my dinners a week in advance... then I can grocery shop and have everything ready to go. I can even pre cook some stuff (like barley, which takes forever or things to put in stuffed peppers - like chicken).

I really just need to change... my habits! My VERY bad habits.

Last edited by SCraver; 08-11-2011 at 01:34 PM.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Just a quick suggestion... if you are looking for something cheesy and salty have you tried making your own jalepenos poppers? Basically you cook the jalepenos with cream cheese on them (I add some garlic and boil the jalepenos first so they aren't so spicy) and pop them in the oven for a bit. they're great and better than eating cheetos or something.

also it might be more of a timing issue. I was STARVING late afternoon and then again in the evening for a long time. I started eating a much later breakfast and eating more in the middle of the day and that helped tremendous. Maybe try playing around with that a bit?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

For me, the "what" to eat fell into line when I started calorie counting. At first, I just kept eating what I usually ate, while counting. Then, I started eating those things while eating the appropriate number of calories (1350 for me). After a while, I got tired of sugar/complex carb crashes, feeling hungry, etc, so I added in more and more healthy foods, especially foods high in protein and fiber, which keep you full.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Just a quick suggestion... if you are looking for something cheesy and salty have you tried making your own jalepenos poppers? Basically you cook the jalepenos with cream cheese on them (I add some garlic and boil the jalepenos first so they aren't so spicy) and pop them in the oven for a bit. they're great and better than eating cheetos or something.
That is a BRILLIANT idea!! Hubs and I love poppers... I bet I could whip up something way tastier (and healthier!) than the frozen-in-a-box version!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #5  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
That is a BRILLIANT idea!! Hubs and I love poppers... I bet I could whip up something way tastier (and healthier!) than the frozen-in-a-box version!
Enjoy! I really love them and because they're spicy too I don't overdo them.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

OOoo!! Check out the website I found:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/

She has a recipe for poppers:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/s...o-poppers.html
Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
For me, the "what" to eat fell into line when I started calorie counting. At first, I just kept eating what I usually ate, while counting. Then, I started eating those things while eating the appropriate number of calories (1350 for me). After a while, I got tired of sugar/complex carb crashes, feeling hungry, etc, so I added in more and more healthy foods, especially foods high in protein and fiber, which keep you full.
It's true! The high protein/fiber foods do keep me full longer... And I find they fill me up faster. I signed up for a CSA (community supported agriculture). Every Tuesday, I go pick up my big bags of veggies from a farm nearby (I bought 1.5 "shares" that we have been splitting with my sister and her hubs). It will end in Oct/Nov and I will be devistated!! The fresh veggies have been awesome - they are there every week and I need to use them so they don't spoil! This week, we got tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, two tiny watermelons, beans, squash, cucumbers, salad greens, eggplant... I think I am forgetting something.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #8  
June

Quote:
OOoo!! Check out the website I found:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/

She has a recipe for poppers:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/s...o-poppers.html
Wow, that blog is awesome and I'll need to try that recipe, it looks way better than the one I've been using, yum!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Skinnytaste is one of my favorite websites. I've made maybe 15-20 recipes on it and they're all phenomenal and easy!

I also have a toddler and a busy schedule at work. What I like to do is cook meals ahead of time and freeze them. Here's my journal as an example.

You'll notice I don't vary much for my breakfasts or snacks, and my lunches are usually the same for a week at a time (I portion and freeze homemade chili or soup for the week). I've been counting WW old points, so you can ignore that!

August 8, 2011
B: WW toast (1), TJ turkey bacon (1), 1 egg white (.5), spinach (0), TJ Roasted Red Pepper spread (0) = 2.5
S: Blueberries (1) = 1
L: 1 cup creamy vegetable bean chicken soup (2) = 2 I PREMADE THIS
S: Cherry tomato, baby carrots (0), hummus (3) = 3
D: Shepherd’s pie (5) I PREMADE THIS, Salad (0), ½T sunflower seeds (.5), 1T gorgonzola (.5), 1T bals vinaigrette (.5) = 6.5
S: 2 cups olive oil popcorn (3) = 3
Total: 18 used

August 9, 2011
B: WW toast (1), TJ turkey bacon (1), 1 egg white (.5), spinach (0), TJ Roasted Red Pepper (0) = 2.5
D: Chicken Divan (7) I PREMADE THIS
S: Frozen banana (2), ½ T sunflower seeds (.5) = 3

August 10, 2011
B: WW toast (1), TJ turkey bacon (1), 1 egg white (.5), spinach (0), TJ Roasted Red Pepper (0) = 2.5
D: Zucchini enchilada (5) I PREMADE THIS, light sour cream (.5) ½ cup brown rice/black bean mixture (1) I PREMADE THIS = 6.5
S: Frozen banana (2) = 2

August 11, 2011
S: Peach (1) = 1
L: 1 cup creamy vegetable bean chicken soup (2) = 2
D: flatout Thai chicken pizza (1), 1T peanut butter, sriracha, soy sauce (0) agave (.5), (2), chicken (2) I PREMADE THIS, broccoli slaw (0), cilantro (0), RF cabot cheese (1) = 6.5
S: Frozen banana (2), ½ T peanut butter (1) = 3

I just cook whenever I have the time (usually on the weekends) and freeze into portions or make really easy meals like the pizza planned for tonight.

Oh, and to avoid the afternoon hunger, I eat my afternoon snack around 4 so that I'm not starving when I get home and can eat dinner around 6:30.

Last edited by Munchy; 08-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/192/140

Height: 5 Feet, 5 Inches

I agree with the timing. I also do much better when I take the time a make a whole meal plan chart. I write out everything for every meal for a week. Down to the amounts of what I need. Then I only buy exactly what's on my menu and just a few things that my daughter likes to snack on. She mostly eats healthy,organic things so even if a binge hits I've got nothing but healthy, nutrient rich food to munch on.
NotJustALittleFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

This recipe is tried and true for me and my family and friends: Stuffed Peppers
I do switch out the pork sausage with turkey hot or sweet Italian sausage.

Other things that make my life super easy:
-Frozen veggies (I like the Trader Joe's stir fry in a pinch)
-Roasting fresh vegetables
-Flatouts for pizza
-Homemade tomato sauce on hand
-Asian noodle bowls (I use shirataki noodles, but I also have rice noodles on hand)
-Quesadillas with Trader Joe's low carb tortillas (45 cals each)
-I portion out my cheese blocks into one oz before putting them into the fridge
-I use instant brown rice
-I freeze zucchini turkey meatballs (mostly for my daughter, but if I needed them they're there)
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #12  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Munchy -
That looks like my stuffed pepper recipe - I swap out grilled pork for the sausage. When hubs grills pork for dinner - I have him make extra. And instead of rice, I do barely (also cook barley in bigger batches) which I cook in homemade veggie stock (which I also make in big batches and freeze in 3C. portions)

I should bake fish more often... tasty, statisfying... and easy.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
So... I need to hoan in on the evening issue. I think I need to start with having a snack set aside and pre portioned that I can eat as soon as I walk in the door. This will help curb the insane hunger. (might also eat my afternoon apple on the way home from work...)
EXACTLY! This made a huge difference in my eating habits. I eat way less now that I eat small meals and frequent snacks. The key for me is to not let myself become insanely hungry.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #14  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

also... what percentage of your calories are you eating before you get home, vs in the evening?
AND, how many calories are you consuming PRE/POST workout (whichever you do)

I found having MORE cals in the day, and a smaller dinner helped curb the evening hunger tremendously.... occassionally i will end up skipping lunch (on accident) and by the time i get home, im so hungry i OVER eat,..... KWIM? i also tend to graze... so... im trying to much on carrots while i cook or whatever....

ALSO, alot if it sounds MENTAL.... like these are your habits...... do something different... change ONE thing... it might help... instead of going straigh for the kitchen when you get home (i know the feeling) head straight to the bathroom and jump in the shower for a second, or just wash your face/brush your teeth/change into comfy clothes, whatever.... just to break the cycle....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #15  
Made of Starstuff

I definitely agree with planning and having a pre-made snack to munch on when you come home so you don't grab the very first and likely less healthy thing that comes to your hands.

You can do it! You can change your habits
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote