Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Parents visiting, bringing goodies :>(

Bless their hearts, I know they love me, but when my parents come to visit they always bring the absolute worst foods with them for a dieter. They know I'm trying to drop weight, yet they brought coconut cake, lemon cake, chocolate chip cookies, etc. Of course it's all "for the kids," but we don't live in separate houses. And to make them feel welcome, my wife made a whole pan of brownies - one-half with chopped pecans and the other half with chocolate chips inside(!) The refrigerator is stuffed and the counters are overflowing.

So far I've held my own, simply by refusing to take a single bite of any of it because I know what will happen if I do. For example, one of my sweet treats at the end of the day is a York Peppermint Patty, which I greatly look forward to. Well, I ate one last night before bed, and after it was nicely in my stomach, instead of being satisfied I thought I was going to stagger into the kitchen, Frankenstein-fashion, and gobble up the entire lemon cake. It was like pouring gasoline on a fire. I gave a little ground by satisfying myself with a bag of 100-calorie popcorn instead. But I tell you what, I have to practice iron will when they come to visit.

Last edited by tricon7; 08-11-2011 at 10:59 AM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

After you practice iron will, it becomes second nature

Good job not eating the treats!

Maybe next time you can reiterate how the entire family is trying to make healthier choices and if they want to bring treats, fresh fruits/veggies are always welcome. I have this conversation with my visiting family from NJ, and they bring Jersey tomatoes and corn on the cob...along with Amish sticky buns and cakes, no matter what I say!

For me, I keep my eyes on the prize. If I'm actively trying to drop some pounds, I keep on my plan because I really want to be at goal, but some times are definitely more difficult than others.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #3  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I feel for you! I think people underestimate just how unnessary it is to have 37 desserts at one time. I mean, really? Kids don't need that, either!

Maybe you could have a heart-to-heart with them about the fact that you are trying to develop an ALL-AROUND healthy lifestyle. Lemon cake is awesome, and maybe they could just bring 1 dessert next time. Moms want to bake for their kids and family..I think it's innate. LOL (just kidding.) To avoid hurt feelings, you could think of some healthier options for your mom to make, so she can still feel needed and appreciated. Have you read the Deceptively Delicious book? The cookies in there are AWESOME and made with chick peas!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

I agree about practice. You have to almost condition yourself that their visits don't mean an all-out binge fest. I used to struggle with this when I would go visit my sister. We would sit up late night talking and polish off a cake or two. I would come back home at least 3-5lbs heavier after a weekend. However over the past yr, we've learned to change what we do when I visit. We still stay up late night but we have tea and stay away from the kitchen. It helps that she's been losing weight as well. But she is one of those "oh you have to try this" type people so I could easily consume my day's cals just sampling all the goodies she bakes. Plus her cupboards are full of chips, cookies, snacks, etc. Over time though, I've learned to manage myself when I go visit and we still enjoy our time together. She's better about it too and isn't as much of a food pusher. It takes practice and "desensitizing" yourself to a degree.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote