General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #1  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Smelling smoke when there's no smoke-???

I have had the strangest sensation for the past 4-5 days. I feel like I can smell cigarette smoke. I can even feel it in my throat, eyes, and nasal passages. Just like I'm in the room with someone who's smoking. No one in my household smokes. It's really strange.

Anyone else ever had that sensation??

Of course, there's all kinds of stuff on the internet about it ranging from just sinus issues to brain tumors.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

That is odd. Do you share walls with a neighbor? Could a neighbor be smoking and it's getting through? I recently read that in a condo complex one neighbor was suing another because the neighbor smoked and it was getting through the walls into the other dwelling. I'm extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke and I can smell it if the driver in a car parked next to me at a stop light is smoking, even if both our windows are rolled up.

Otherwise- did you used to smoke? I've read that sometimes if we are losing weight our body is also losing toxins stored in our fat cells. Maybe that?

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 08-10-2011 at 02:45 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

I would definitely get that checked out, it could be a whole range of things.
But don't lose sleep over it! I had a phase where now & then everything would taste like cigarettes. It went away and I'm perfectly healthy, but it's always best to look into these things. Give yourself some peace of mind and see a doctor about it.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #4  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

Are you sure it's a smoke smell and not an ammonia smell? This hasn't happened to me lately, but occasionally I've gone through periods where my sweat had an ammonia smell to it (like Windex)--and I got the same "feel it in my nose & throat & makes my eyes burn" sensation. I Googled it and read various things on the internet--nitrogen balance, possibly not enough fluids or carbs, etc... I seem to remember other articles about kidney issues causing this problem, too, but I wasn't worried.

Last edited by sumire; 08-10-2011 at 02:53 PM.
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
I have had the strangest sensation for the past 4-5 days. I feel like I can smell cigarette smoke. I can even feel it in my throat, eyes, and nasal passages. Just like I'm in the room with someone who's smoking. No one in my household smokes. It's really strange.

Anyone else ever had that sensation??

Of course, there's all kinds of stuff on the internet about it ranging from just sinus issues to brain tumors.
My first guess is that someone in your house smokes and you don't know it, or someone in your house is starting to hang out with a smoker. Or that you have a neighbor smoking outside.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I get that too.. Usually right before a sinus infection.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

I've gotten the sensations from a mold issue in the house before, but it didn't have a smell with it. Hope you get to the bottom of this! Sounds like a strange issue.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It could be cigarette smoke from previous owners/renters of your house or apartment.

I agree that if you live in an apartment, condo, or duplex, it could be neighbors smoke, and it can also be years old smoke from past residents.

When I was 16, my family moved into a house of a heavy smoker. She must have had the house professionally cleaned and deodorized when she put it on the market because when the realtor showed us the house, there was barely any smell. When we moved in, and started cleaning, we noticed far more of the stain and smell. For example, when washing the windows, we saw that it almost looked like the windows had been tinted. The smell of cigarettes got stronger and stronger, and it took months of washing walls, windows, and carpets - as well as keeping the windows open as much as possible to get it out.

Even years after we thought it was gone, it would keep coming back periodically with any rise in temperature or humidity. Even after all the carpting was replaced.

Eventually, I was the only one who could still smell it (my father thought I was imagining it, until we had an unusually hot, humid summer and he could smell it too).

Of course, you should get a checkup, just to rule out the other possible causes.

I would recommend a neti pot or a waterpik set on low to irrigate (rinse) the nasal passages. It helps prevent and treat sinus issues and other infectious disease too (it's been shown to help prevent colds and flu).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 161.4/145/130

Height: 5'5"

Yep I have had this happen to me for years and I still get it. The weird thing is I can even be in my car and smell it.
I have a kind of spiritual side and I have always chalked it up to my deceased dad visiting me. He was a heavy smoker.
Sorry I am of no help but just to let you know others experience this with no real reason.
Proatthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #10  
ddc
getting back to 140

Nope, no one in the house smokes. No neighbors close by. We've lived here for 14 yrs and this just started a few days ago.

I used to smoke. 20 or so years ago. I don't think it's coming from my fat cells (I'm actually gaining right now anyway )

It's not an ammonia smell. Definately cigarette smoke. Like second hand smoke.

I just was driving in my car with my kids and asked them, do you smell smoke? Like it was coming from a car in front of me. They didn't smell it. It must just be in my nose.

I have a friend that has allergies and she swears by her neti pot. I think I'll try one of those.

Thanks everyone !
Old 08-10-2011, 06:16 PM   #11  
ddc
getting back to 140

Proatthis, I was kind of thinking the same thing, about my dad.

Someone on here posted a few days ago that they were quitting smoking and I posted a "yay" and wrote about my dad dying from smoking/emphysema.

Maybe it is him??? I just got chills thinking about it.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #12  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I get lots of smells "stuck" in my nose, but it's usually something I've recently smelled. My doc says it's pretty common in people with allergies and sinus issues. Using the neti pot helps, but I'm not bothered enough to use it daily.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #13  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

My mom had the same problem (but it smelled like wood burning) for about 2 years before she had her aneurism. Her doctor told her it was a warning sign.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to your Dr. It could turn out to be nothing, it could turn out to be something. If you don't want to go into the office, maybe you could just call and explain it to him.
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #14  
it's always something

I used to have that problem. Then one day I found cigarette butts outside my window and realized I had a peeping tom

I hope it's nothing serious! I've gone through phases where I was sensitive to certain smells, but it would pass. Please let us know if you find out what is causing it.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
My mom had the same problem (but it smelled like wood burning) for about 2 years before she had her aneurism. Her doctor told her it was a warning sign.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to your Dr. It could turn out to be nothing, it could turn out to be something. If you don't want to go into the office, maybe you could just call and explain it to him.
I also sugest you see a doctor...does epilepsy run in the family? During a Sensory seizure, you can can just smell or see stuff without shaking.. http://www.epilepsy.com/Epilepsy/seizure_simplepartial

Even if its nothing, it doesn't hurt to get a professional opinion.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote