Old 08-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 146/136/126

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Question PROPEL: Good or Bad?

I keep reading that IPer's are cutting back or stopping all propel drinks, especially if they're having issues with the weight coming off. Can someone tell me why Propel is a possible cause?

Even after 5 weeks I hate having to drink so much water and propel is my only way of getting it in. I only drink about half the water per day with propel, the other is plain. Just wondered what possible negative side effects it has.

Thanks!
Emmy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #2  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

Maybe people are sensitive to the sweetener?
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 166.6/142.2/135

Height: 5'3"

I love Propel Zero. My coach said to have no more than 32 oz. a day of it.

Maybe regular Propel has calories and carbs? Not sure.

Patti
CajunLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/210/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunLoser View Post
Maybe regular Propel has calories and carbs? Not sure.
Regular propel (which had carbs) is not made anymore, though some people might have stockpiled a stash of it in anticipation of that. There is only Propel Zero, which is sweetened with sucralose (I believe).
cortandcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/256/120

Height: 5'2"

I would have to say because of the sucralose (splenda). I know my coach said I can use splenda (sucralose) on occasion but since it is also used in most of the packets I need to limit the amount I use otherwise. I know I can only get away with the walden farms dressings but not any of the sauces. I personaly do not use any extra sweetner (other than what is in the WF dressings) because I will stall out or gain. Everyone is different tho.
nikkib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #6  

Try sparkling water or the Mio Water enhancer. No calories, carbs nor aspartame.
useruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 146/136/126

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by useruser View Post
Try sparkling water or the Mio Water enhancer. No calories, carbs nor aspartame.
Thanks....Propel Zero has no carbs, calories, etc. That's why I use it but evidently it stalls some people. So far, it hasn't for me.
Emmy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/192/160

Height: 5' 5.5"

I use one packet of Propel Zero maybe 4-5 times a week. My favorite is the cherry-lime. It reminds me of cherry-lime slushes at Sonic. I never use more than one/day and not every day. It hasn't affected my losses as of yet. I occasionally also use MIO or Arizona tea (both made with sucralose and are 0/0/0) instead of Propel Zero, just for a change of pace. I agree that it helps get the water in. I drink a total of 100 oz/day, including any flavored water listed above.

Karen
karenfromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

My sister in law drinks it everyday and I hadn't ever tried it. I have to admit that after wanting a diet squirt today I went looking for something other than water and I bought a lemon propel zero. It is so sweet to me and tastes like lemonade. I hope it doesn't do anything to the loss I've been seeing because I could see myself having it again.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I think some people are more sensitive to the fake sugar than others and if you are having a stall or less than ideal losses, a good place to start would be to elimate them and see if things pick up.

Personally, I try to only use Mio or WF in an "emergency" because I am sensitive to the fake stuff and notice better losses when I don't consume them. By emergency I mean, if I am really wanting something, I will use Mio to enhance my water to avoid going off track. Or I will make a cup of coffee and use WF to spruce it up, again to avoid indulging in something off plan.

Also, just because the label is 0/0/0, there are still trace amounts of calories, carbs, etc... Eventually, if you drink enough, those trace amounts are going to add up.

Here is a good example. For anyone who remembers WW and when Kashi "Two Good Friends" cereal hit the market, it calculated out to 0 points on the slide scale (where you lined up the calories, fiber and fat). Oh Weight Watcher heavens rejoyce! A cereal at 0 points! Now we can snack on a "real" food all day and it is 0 points! Well, after a few weeks, there was a big slow down of losses among the WW masses and WW realized that people were consuming a lot of this cereal. Even though it was 0 points and technically did not need to be counted toward your daily value, it still had calories, and they added up. Therefore resulting in eating more "points" than WW allows and not losing weight. After this realization, they declared each serving of Two Good Friends as 1 point, even though it calculated out to 0.

The moral? Even though it was "zero" it still added up, which is what I think happens for some people with WF, Mio, Propel etc...
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

My coach thinks everyone should be drinking 4-5 bottles of Propel a day, but I had a slight gain a couple of weeks ago (.2) and many suggested to cut the Propel, I did lose the next week, but not a lot. My coach is skinny, she drinks it all the time, she also recommends coconut water if you can find it without sugar (which I can't find anyplace) She must order hers, I will ask her tomorrow.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote