Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166.6/142.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Do the supplements help?

I'm two and a half weeks into the IP diet and have lost 10 lbs. I'm very happy about that, but I have to say I have absolutely no energy. The clinic I go to did not think I needed any supplements since I already take a vitamin and 2 calcium tablets (I'm a 60 year old female).

Anyway, I was babysitting my 4 year old granddaughter this past week and I could hardly get through the week.

Do you think this is normal and it will pass? Will additional supplements help?

Thanks for any input you all have.

Patti
CajunLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 146/136/126

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Hi CajunLoser,

I have been on the IP diet for 4 weeks now and I made sure to start with the supplements from the beginning. I did this because my sister in law, brother and their neighbors all tried to start without them and had the same issues you're having. My Coach mentioned the very same thing to me. I am 48 and do not take any type of prescription meds., therefore I could never remember to take vitamins. I have been diligent with the supplements and it's a HUGE difference. I have more energy now than I did prior to this diet and I know its due to the supplements.

The multi vitamins that are sold at IP, in my opinion, are superior to the hard/solid type you can buy at the drugstore. They are capsules which I feel break down and release so that you get their full potential. I hope this helps.

P.S. Although I'm living in Oklahoma, I'm also from Louisiana...
Emmy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #3  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunLoser View Post
I'm two and a half weeks into the IP diet and have lost 10 lbs. I'm very happy about that, but I have to say I have absolutely no energy. The clinic I go to did not think I needed any supplements since I already take a vitamin and 2 calcium tablets (I'm a 60 year old female).
Do they help? You bet. Not just with energy. Most women are magnesium deficient before the diet. Without the Mag/Cal combination, comes lethargy and, frequently, constipation. IP is also very light on vitamin C which you might add yourself. Lack of Potassium causes muscle cramping and muscle weakness. Personally, I think the vitamins and the way they're constituted is one, if not the, most valuable aspect of the program.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #4  

Height: 5'4"

I do IP with alternatives so I just bought cal/mag., omega 3, potassium, and my multi vitamin. I never remember to take pills either so I have to get them ready the night before and then I get them all down in the morning. I also take B12 because I was before I did this program. Not sure if it helps or not but I had it so I take it.

I wasn't taking anything at first and I felt totally sluggish. I was getting bad charlie horses without the potassium also. I started the Omega 3 because my eyes were drying out so bad. Everything has helped something I believe.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #5  

Thank you all for responding so quickly. That's what I'll do then--- add those supplements and hopefully I'll be able to continue on the diet.

Patti
Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209.2/207.2/150

I recommend you take the Ideal Protein Vitamins.

I take 2 of The mulitvitamin in the am, 4 of the Ca-Mg and one Ca-Potassium in the evening.

I really thing they help with the energy and also with avoiding constipation.
krazytxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:

Anyway, I was babysitting my 4 year old granddaughter this past week and I could hardly get through the week.

Do you think this is normal and it will pass? Will additional supplements help?

Thanks for any input you all have.

Patti

Our stats are every similar but you are a bit taller (not many people tell you you are taller I bet!). I am 64.

I am not having any trouble with energy loss, I took cal-mag, the multi-vitamins, and the potassium ones. I didn't take the omega-3 because I feel a bit nauseous after I take oils in tablets. But I am rethinking that one. I'll talk to my coach about it when I go in next.

On second thought, if I had to keep up with a four year old I'd propably have energy issues too.

Pat

Last edited by patns; 08-06-2011 at 08:26 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 146/136/126

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazytxan View Post
I recommend you take the Ideal Protein Vitamins.

I take 2 of The mulitvitamin in the am, 4 of the Ca-Mg and one Ca-Potassium in the evening.

I really thing they help with the energy and also with avoiding constipation.
Krazytxan,

I do the very same, plus 3 omega 3's. I didn't realize that they could help with the constipation, I just assumed I was better than ever in that area due to the diet.. LOL Good to know it's the supplements.

I also agree that the IP vitamins are the best way to go.
Emmy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 209.2/207.2/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy8 View Post
Krazytxan,

I do the very same, plus 3 omega 3's. I didn't realize that they could help with the constipation, I just assumed I was better than ever in that area due to the diet.. LOL Good to know it's the supplements.

I also agree that the IP vitamins are the best way to go.
My coach, who has been doing this for 4 years...swears that taking the Ca-Mg and Ca-P in the evening helps with constipation.

I agree.
krazytxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy8 View Post
Hi CajunLoser,

I have been on the IP diet for 4 weeks now and I made sure to start with the supplements from the beginning. I did this because my sister in law, brother and their neighbors all tried to start without them and had the same issues you're having. My Coach mentioned the very same thing to me. I am 48 and do not take any type of prescription meds., therefore I could never remember to take vitamins. I have been diligent with the supplements and it's a HUGE difference. I have more energy now than I did prior to this diet and I know its due to the supplements.

The multi vitamins that are sold at IP, in my opinion, are superior to the hard/solid type you can buy at the drugstore. They are capsules which I feel break down and release so that you get their full potential. I hope this helps.

P.S. Although I'm living in Oklahoma, I'm also from Louisiana...
Mine are not capsules???
wheekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Do they help? You bet. Not just with energy. Most women are magnesium deficient before the diet. Without the Mag/Cal combination, comes lethargy and, frequently, constipation. IP is also very light on vitamin C which you might add yourself. Lack of Potassium causes muscle cramping and muscle weakness. Personally, I think the vitamins and the way they're constituted is one, if not the, most valuable aspect of the program.
One of the vitamins not sure which gives me horrible diarrhea. I did not take any vitamins one day and noticed I didn't. I think it may be the cal-mag
wheekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #12  

Thank you all again. I'm feeling more optimistic that the supplements will solve my problem.

Sorry, I don't know how to do the quotes to answer you all.

I didn't know the omega 3's would help with dry eyes. I can't wear my contacts any longer due to the dry eye issue. This is giving me hope, too.

Again, thanks for the support.

Patti
Old 08-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #13  

Should I switch and start taking my vitamins at night time instead of in the morning? I figured for me, who forgets to take pills, that bring them to work and making them a part of my morning routine would be best. I really have no night time routine because it's go go go until I drop so I'm scared I wouldn't remember them.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #14  

Quote:
Thank you all again. I'm feeling more optimistic that the supplements will solve my problem.

I didn't know the omega 3's would help with dry eyes. I can't wear my contacts any longer due to the dry eye issue. This is giving me hope, too.

Patti
Yes, maybe search contacts or dry eyes on the forum because there was a post about that not long ago where someone said to take the Omega 3s for dry eyes when someone mentioned they were going through contacts much faster while on the program. I take one in the morning and one right when I get home from work in the afternoon. Most people take 3 I think but I find 2 helps me just fine.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #15  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:

Patti
To do the quotes in the right hand of the post there is a box for quotes, click it if you want to respond to just one post. Then the next box has a + sign in it, click that if you want to respond to different post, but you have to click that +sign on each quote you want to respond too. Then on the left hand side there is a box that says reply to post, click it and all of the post you want to respond to will be in your box. After each quote you will see [QUOTE] Hit enter and begin typing
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote