General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 156.6/175/120.0

Height: 5'4"

Default Sodium and weight loss

I have an app on my phone that calculates all the components of what I eat for the day and then gives me a report. Everyday it says Ive consumed too much sodium. How does that affect my weight loss? What is a "bad" number of sodium? I always put seasoning on things so I dont use fatty condiments like butter and marinades, but now I dont know what to do. Is salt really that bad when it comes to dropping pounds? Thanks for the help

Last edited by violet826; 08-05-2011 at 08:22 AM.
violet826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/210/125

Height: 5'0"

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it's something that directly impacts fat loss. It can cause water retention, which would impact what you see on the scale on some days, but it wouldn't mean fat isn't being burned.
cortandcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/137/130-132

Height: 5' 6"

Salt is calorie-free. It may cause you to retain water, but consuming it will not cause you to gain fat, and cutting it will also not cause you to lose fat. Salt does not cause me to retain water, and I have no conditions that require me to restrict salt, so I don't pay much mind to my sodium levels.
aimeebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

its really best NOT to restrict sodium when on a diet...... salt will NOT impact fat loss, but, as mentioned will cause you to retain water... that said--- you can drop a few pounds of water weight VERY QUICKLY by cuttin out/drastically reducing sodium.... the problem with that is that is creates an electrolyte imbalance, which makes you incredibly sensitive to saodium when you DO have it.. inother words, if you restrict sodium, and then go out for a "planned cheat meal" at a restaurant, theres going to be so much sodium in the food, the next few days you could be up by 5 or MORE pounds of water, and its UNCOMFORTABLE. if you DONT restrict sodium, then you will not have this particular issue... sodium is good for you!! unless your Dr wants you to avoid it for other reasoons
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 156.6/175/120.0

Thanks guys!! I never really worry about sodium, I just watch calories and try to pick lower fat foods. But everyday I have a red thumbs down for sodium on my chart LOL Wanted to make sure it wasnt going to cause me to keep the pounds on
violet826 is offline   Reply With Quote