Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #37

Good morning ladies. I talked to my sister last night and made no headway with her. First off she is claustrophobic and freaked when they tried to do an MRI so they couldn't look at her hip, then her son is supposed to be taking care of her poodles and one of them got loose and is lost. It had no tags on (well who's fault is that???) and lastly she is making a stink about further breathing tests and wants to go home and they won't let her. Her contention is her breathing has been exactly like it is for a long time so she should just be able to go home. Unfortunately, it is only at 80% and not good enough to release her. You can't gripe about the hospital and drs not doing their jobs if you aren't willing to follow their advice. Her gp doctor has not seen her at all, just hospital physicians so I am wondering if they have seen her regular chart. The bottom line is, SHE SMOKES and refuses to quit so that is why she is in the mess she is in coupled with obesity. I love her, but I get frustrated. She is a grown 66 year old woman and no one, as in family, has the right to treat her like a child or tell her what to do and I am not going to either. She knows darn well what smoking is doing to her. Jack contends that she is angry because she is in denial. She thinks if she fights the drs then she can deny to herself she is in jeopardy and he is probably right. Anyway, she is still in the hospital and I don't know for how long.

On top of that, they have officially done a pay cut to us even though the lawsuit is going on, the injunction is going on and the city council is meeting today with half of the them now saying they didn't know a pay cut was part of the budget! We have to most deniable people sitting downtown I have ever seen. Heck if they cut out all the perks, free lunches, travel, car allowances, cars, etc, etc they probably would need the money from the employees. What gets my goat is not that the normal city budget is not enough to pay the bills so to speak, but that the city council are the ones who refused to pay the schools for those years and now have to come up with the money. I think they should lose all their perks and their pay all of it because they were the screw ups not the employees. If a regular budget is not big enough, then yes, I can understand needing a pay cut, but it isn't the regular budget they need the money for it is this court case where they lost and own 57 million dollars to the school system. Anyway, it shows the paycut on my husband's online payslip so there you go. I just looked at my online new utility bill and the heat has cranked it up about 75$ more so paycut and higher utilities, yippee!

I am mad at my husband too and it isn't because I am cranky, well, maybe I am mad because I am cranky, but with good reason. He said this morning he couldn't find his ear buds. He walked into the laundry room like he was going to look through his pockets of his shorts in the dirty clothes basket, but didn't bother saying he thought they were at work. These things were expensive and I have already washed them once in the laundry because he didn't clean out his pockets. Well, this time they went through the washer and dryer. They still work, but I noticed there is exposed wires he will have to tape when he gets home. Why are men so darn careless with their stuff? If they had been like $5 it wouldn't have been so bad, but he bought this really expensive pair, which I was none to happy about anyway as we have 4 good pairs that came with our two Iphones and our 2 Ipods. MEN!!!

Glad everyone liked their slippers and they fit. I imagine Jean, you will get yours today. I have got the leg done and ready to do the heel flap on the second sock so and whizzing right through that. An audio book helps with that as I can listen and knit at the same time.

I will give you a peek at how my sweater is coming along and a close up of the pattern. I think it will do great for a dress sweater for the cruise next year.

Gail: I agree with Susan. You did a spectacular job with your FIL and now he has to deal with is life. If he refuses to do what he's told then he has to suffer the consequences. I think Wayne needs to make it clear to him that if he breaks his leg again, it is a nursing home and not your house he will go to. I think he needs to understand some boundaries. He is playing you and Wayne and maybe if Wayne calls his bluff he will straighten up so to speak! lol We older folks can be a pain that's for sure! lololol I never did clothing shopping for Thomas or Jackson. Thomas is horribly picky about his clothes so I rarely bought him anything. I just make him socks for Christmas.

Susan: You are absolutely right about the dog. He got me up at midnight last night and kept it up. I told Jack I was going to put his leash on his collar and keep him in bed if I had to as it is only when he jumps down does he bark at me to get up. I am totally cranky and unreasonable at the moment, because I haven't had enough sleep over the last several days, because it is hot and because my hormones are all over the place again. I am keeping OP but gained some lbs, my feet are swelling off and on, which I figure is the real culprit but I am terminally grouchy, which is not like me. I checked my BP and it is in good shape so it isn't that. I don't have insulin issues as I keep on top of that with my mom having died from diabetic complications too. When I talked to Jack about it last night he asked if I was the one making him grouchy and I told him no, I was just generally a crab and didn't know why. I do try and not snap at him and such because I am not angry about anything but just crabby. It has been one of those Maxine weeks for sure.

Jean: We picked up the car yesterday and it was 102 when we drove it off the lot. I drove it and Jack drove the rental car back to Enterprise, but let me tell you the inside was like a furnace and the steering wheel was so hot I could hardly hold on to it until the ac cooled everything off. I had that baby down to 60 on both sides of the car (we have dual cooling) and had it maxed up with the fan! The place did a fabulous job on the car and besides that took it and had it washed and they detailed the inside for free! The guy felt back they had it so long, but it wasn't his fault and we understood. Oh and yes, this sister is the one that lost her husband just a few months ago. I will email you those cookie recipes so you can pick and choose if you like any of them.

Maggie: Hope you are keeping cool.

If anyone else wants the recipes, I will shoot them to you, just let me know. They are not diet friendly and I don't think they would be very good scaled down, but I will send any of them you want!

Have a great day all. I am going to put the laundry in the dryer and then knit and listen to my book. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mysweater.jpg (50.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg pattern.jpg (56.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by gma22; 08-03-2011 at 09:24 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #2  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning everyone!

Sitting out on the back deck last evening was wonderful! The air quality was breatheable, a slight breeze, and no mosquitos! Wayne and I sat outside after he returned home from his meeting for quite awhile. It was a very pleasant evening.

Jean, your Neighborhood Night Out sounds wonderful! Its a great way for neighbors to meet and to get to know the law enforcement and other emergency professionals that serve the neighborhood. Your neighborhood/town sounds like a wonderful place to live. The town I live in sponsors different events and people from the surrounding area attend which make it difficult to meet the people in my own neighborhood but it does promote that down-home feel. In a couple of weeks we will have the Peach Festival. I just hope its not so hot that I won't want to go.

Donna, again I'm sorry to hear about your sister. Yes, I agree she is in denial...or just being stubborn. I hope she comes to her senses soon! I am really really sorry to hear about Jack's pay cut!!!

Update on my FIL: Wayne phoned him last night to hear what the orthopedic surgeon has to say. Talking to my FIL is like talking to my 7 year-old granddaughter. You never get a straightforward answer most of the time. I don't believe a word he said--(1) the doctor does NOT want him to do physical therapy; (2) the doctor prescribed vicadon for pain (which my FIL already has a prescription for that from another doctor); and (3) a possible knee replacement will be discussed in November. When my FIL was asked if he's made an appointment to see his heart doctor to start getting his blood tested regularly for cumadin (blood thinner), he told Wayne he didn't need to see the doctor but someone else (which could be true) but he hasn't done that yet since he knows how much cumadin he needs to take. So now he's self diagnosing! He NEEDS to get his blood tested at least every other week (he explained this to me when he was with us) because the dosage changes all the time. IF he doesn't take the right dosage he can get a blood clot and he could stroke out. Furthermore, Wayne was told NOT to come this weekend as planned but to come the following weekend. His cell phone? THAT was lost in the hospital along with one hearing aid (which he has not replaced yet). The list goes on and on.... The man is not addle-brained. He's stubborn. He's tight when it comes to spending money. And he thinks he knows more than someone with a PhD.

I'm worn out typing about it....
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! The temperature has dropped 20 degrees and the humidity along with it. My deck door and windows are all open; Ernie goes from one to the other like he can't believe they are really open. I've been to have blood drawn, eaten breakfast, and go back in an hour for my yearly chat with the doc. That part I'd like to skip. The rest of the day is my own and I really need to do some serious cleaning.

"Gma" -- I guess the bottom line for your sister is that she is an adult making her own health choices, bad as they may be. I'm sorry about the paycut; almost daily either the newspaper or tv say that prices will continue to rise. Bob is pretty good about cleaning out his pockets, but sometimes I get a tip as in loose change. I can't imagine how the mail pony could make it to Kansas and miss Iowa along the way. Your sweater will look beautiful on you! I love the pattern and the color. I know you are glad to have your own car once again. I saw the cookie recipe email but haven't had a chance to look at them. Thanks!

Gail -- I love this weather! Actually, our town has gone to pot big time! The officer who spoke here last night said he's been on the force 30 years and has never seen as many drugs as are available here right now as well as the influx of gang wannabes. We have a population of roughly 9,000 with 19 police officers and 2 laison officers who translate. Our immigrant #s are out of sight thanks to two packing plants. Most think everything here is or should be FREE to them! Your FIL is typical for men in that age range I think. I just hope he doesn't do something foolish and have to go to a nursing home, but better there than back with you. Does Wayne have brothers or sisters to help?

I need to do some more laundry that didn't get done over the weekend so better keep moving. Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #4  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Jean, I hear what you are saying. My town, as well as a lot of other towns, are seeing an influx of immigrants which a lot of them are not here legally. I don't blame them for wanting to come here...to our country. However, I think they should be here legally and when caught (whether its from crime they have committed or working for a company that pays a wage that we will not work for) they should be sent back to their own country. If they want to come here to live and work then by all means please let them come but come legally...and take part in our communities, etc. I also believe that if an illegal immigrant is caught working for a company that has hired them then that company should be fined. Obviously, our country cannot afford them. Anyway, enough of the political talk because goodness gracious there is enough of that these days. About FIL: Wayne is an "only" which makes me very grateful for my brother who has his hands full with our Dad at times. My FIL will be 87 in October. Do I think he should be living alone? Hmmmmm....probably not. But he still has his faculties....well, most of them. We have tried for years, especially after my MIL passed away about 16 years ago, to sell his house and move up here with us. Not to live with us but on his own. IF he had done that, things would be so much easier for us. He told his son (at a time I was away from the house) that he hated Delaware, hated our house, hated living with us, and he was bored. Well, he's in his home now and he's not doing anything differently than what he was doing here in my home. Oh yeah...I forgot...he's NOT doing his physical therapy, he's NOT replacing that hearing aid (he actually thinks that company should give him a free one even though he has no lost/theft insurance on it with them), he's NOT replacing the cell phone or at least putting long distance on his phone again; and he's NOT following doctor's orders.

And I need to do some serious cleaning also....

Last edited by GailR; 08-03-2011 at 11:32 AM.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday Aka: Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a rainey day here in the Heartland. Cooled things down tremendiously. Made the garden happy. Not much going on here in my little corner of the world. My coffee still tasts good so I know I am not sick. And I feel good. Yeppers I think when I exercise today I'll play good ole James Browns music. Didn't find too many discards in the freezer ~ It was just in dis-array. It is all organized again the way I like it. We had a wonderful dinner of sandwiches, baked beans and fruit. I just didn't feel like cooking anything.

DONNA FAYE Your Mayor is a piece of work. Guess they haven't figured out how they are going to find the do re me to pay the folks the money they with-held from their pay checks when the law suit rules in the workers favor. Those unions wield a lot of clout I have heard. The whole nation has to tighten it's belt and more and more of this type thing is going to happen. Sadly those in the know say we are headed for a time when there are more unemployed than there are workers across this great nation of ours. Will does our laundry and I am sure to clean out my pockets . I think it is a guy thing to not clean out their pockets ~ what say you.

JEAN I hope all is well with your blood. They can sure find out stuff about folks by analyzing their blood now days which is amazing. Our temps droped also and we have very low humidity. Maybe they deliver our mail from out there by plane and truck it to your state from TN. If that be the case then it could explain why I got those slippers and you haven't yet gotten yours. Folks way out in CA get their mail from here quicker than folks in TX do. When they changed over to those "sorting stations" it sure made mail run slower then in the old days.

GAIL What fun to be able to sit out on your deck and enjoy the evening together and not be bothered with mosquitos. They must activly do prevention measures on that golf course because those water traps could be breeding grounds if they didn't keep them treated. School starts soon. I imagine you have started an album just for those school pictures as the years go by you can put in the smiling faces of the youngsters as they grow. Your father-in-law is such a piece of work. A self-centered old man afraid of what is happening to his body so he lashes out at those who care for him trying to make them as miserable as he is. He needs Nurse Ratchet. Remember her from "One Flew Over The Coo-Coos Nest." She was a piece of work.

SUSAN How be you this day? Hope all is well in your corner of the world.

Type at y'all later. I am off to do some glass work. But first some lunch ~ for it is just a tad bit after 12 of the clock. If I get started in my glass then I won't eat and then at dinner time since I haven't eaten all day I would probably eat too much and feel awful. And we don't want that now do we. Bye for now.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #6  

Gail -- I was an "only" also, and it is hard to be far away from parents when there are health issues going on. The good part is there are no siblings to argue with when it comes time to settle the estate. I would have thought your FIL would have enjoyed having his meals fixed, room cleaned, laundry done, etc., and having someone (you!) around to talk to. I hope he realizes he burned his bridges when he told Wayne how much he hated being at your house. Like I said before you will have a crown full of stars when you get to heaven!

Maggie -- You could share your rain! My lab #s were great and I am off 2 of my meds. Last summer I had donated blood the day before and was anemic for my lab draw. This summer I donated 2 weeks ago thinking I would be ok and I'm more anemic than last summer! So I have to go have my iron checked before I can donate in September. Better to be safe than sorry. Otherwise, I'm good to go for another year, except for a lab rerun in 6 months.

"Gma" -- It amazes me how the slippers turned out. Unless one knew the technique, they'd never know the slippers were knitted. I love the way the colors turned out. Thank you again!

I am heading to bed. I'm hoping for a good night's sleep cuz I didn't do so well last night. It seems like every 3rd or 4th night is a good one. See you all tomorrow!
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy and "cool" at 66 degrees with a chance of rain which we need badly. I slept good last night, so that was a nice surprise when I woke up this morning. I added iron and Claritin (sp?) to my daily pill regimen so maybe that's why I slept good, or maybe the open window. I'm meeting with the gift shop treasurer this afternoon to see how she does the job. When I talked to her yesterday she said if I could do a checkbook I would do just fine. I'm just nervous about the computer part.

I need to get busy and vacuum the fur bunnies before I do anything else. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 08-04-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. I have been on the phone with my son this morning so am getting kind of a late start to things. My sister is home, but she is not well so the prayers are appreciated.

Jean: Yes, felting is unusual. When I first heard about felting, I wasn't real sure what was meant by it, but I have now made numerous handbags mostly felting them. I really like the little slippers because they knit up really fast and are nice little gifts. I hope you had a good session with the treasurer, but why exactly are you taking on another job?????

Gail: We have a very large population of illegals here too. In fact, a lot of them live just down the street. Jack and I have talked about this at length and unless the government starts coming down hard on companies that hire them, this is not going to change. I concur with Jack that what needs to be done is instituting RICO Act where they seize the business, their assets and haul the owners off to jail. When these companies have dried up the well for work there is no reason for them to sneak across the border. Unfortunately, part of the problem is that Americans see themselves as too good to pick lettuce or cucumbers, etc so they hire the illegals because they will work. With the country the way it is now, you may see Americans that have been without jobs and no unemployment glad to pick lettuce etc instead of starving.

Maggie: Living here, the rain only makes the heat and humidity even worse here so you actually dread the rain because it doesn't cool it off. It was a heat index of 117 yesterday. You know it is bad when Jack is actually looking forward to having knee surgery just to have time off and not work in the heat!

I am 3/4 way done with the other sock, yippee, and hopefully the other yarn might just get here today so I can start another project for birthdays. My sil's birthday is the 16th so I need to get him a card and such. I don't buy stuff for him because he has everything and he is hard to buy for. I usually do some kind of charity donation or something like that in his name.

Well gals, I need to go. I have things to do this morning and haven't tackled a single thing since getting up. Have a great Thursday. Faye
Old 08-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #9  

Good afternoon, ladies. We're enjoying 84 degrees right now but the humidity is terrible. It's also overcast but rain isn't in the forecast.

I had to finish making my quilt blocks for First Thursday Bee, which meets tonight, yesterday. Nothing like putting it off to the last minute. I've already started the ones for next month, however. So today is work and the bee. We're meeting behind Chick-Fil-A so I'll probably have a grilled chicken sandwich and carrot raisin salad if I don't eat before I go. This weekend is stay at home and clean house since I played last weekend. Except Saturday is Bella's Belles so I get a reprive for that. LOL

Faye, I'm really sorry your sister is so pigheaded. She's probably terrified inside and thinks if she denies things they will be alright. So sad. Prayers will continue. Until you talk the Americans into working for less and taking the Mexicans jobs, the problem will remain. We really can't afford for business to be confiscated and lose jobs for the Americans working there.

Jean, another job! Stand in front of the mirror and practice saying, "No, I can't do that!" You might as well be working at the school and getting paid.

Maggie, we don't have many mosquitos here either. York Country sprays for them from trucks and the Air Force sprays for them from the air. I live on tidal water anyway so it isn't stagnant. The holding pools for the developments around here all have to have aerators. We do have the largest canebreak rattlesnacks area about 2 miles from my house. I am terrified of them. There is a lovely walking path around the golf course there that I walked once and there are snakes all over it. Once was enough for me. They post warnings to watch out for them.

Gail, we have some Mexicans here that mostly do construction or landscaping and a huge oriental population that works in the seafood industry on the boats or at the processing plants. I used to teach English as a second language to the orientals. At least they try to assimilate. I despise have things in Spanish because they are too lazy to learn English.

Lunch time is over so I need to get to work.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland with temps in the low 90's. What a difference a week makes. I am one happy camper for I received my mixer I ordered on Tuesday. It sure got here quickly. It is a Dualit which they call their "Professional" and came with dough hooks, flat beaters and a balloon whisk. Cord storage is great also. It looks and feels like it is job rated so I hope it lasts as long as my last hand held mixer did. I don't do enough mixing to warrant my forking out the do re me for a stand mixer again. This one will do all that I require now days. Today is Will's day to work at the museum and he always goes by the library first to see what books they have on sale. He has gotten me some good books for only a dollar or less that way. I especially like the deals I get on cookbooks that way. Folks donate all kinds of books for the library to sell to help thier business. I am so tired of all the hoopla on the news about the upcoming election. I just want the day to get here that I can vote and do my part. If things get as bad as "they say" then we are in a world of hurt. But we can help ourselves if we put by and make do. Our pantry is looking good. I must have lost weight in my hands for my rings are whirling. I have got to take one off of one of my pinkies before I lose it. It is a black hills gold leaf one. To show how things have really gone up I bought this one several years ago for $45 and today it sells for $350. After I reach my goal weight I will get all my rings re-sized. My wedding ring got way too big so Will bought me a beautiful black hills gold band for one anniversary in a size that fits. On my right hand ring finger I wear a rose with a diamond in it and two buds along the side that have diamonds in them. I have had it on for so many years when I weighed in the 100's so now it doesn't come off. When I get off here I am going to go make a loaf of raisin bread.

DONNA FAYE Girlfriend I do remember the humidity in TN and that is the only thing I miss about that state. It is such a beautiful state and we have many friends still in Shady. When Will decides to really retire ~ I want to come back there for a visit. OH but by then the gas prices are said to be up to $25 a gallon and we certainly couldn't afford that trip much less going to the market. I certainly will keep your sister in my prayers.

JEAN So you are retired? Really? You are taking on a lot to keep busy aren't you. Busy is good for a person. I wonder what life would have been like for us if I had accepted that position offered to me by that lawyer Jerry Spence that wore the fringe jacket during the OJ trials. He wanted me to be his booking agent out at his ranch to book the folks in from foreign countrys wanting to come do some ranch work AKA dudes for it is a real working ranch with cattle. That was after I had left my job and had been rehabilitated. I wasn't looking for a job. I don't want a job now. Got one right here in my office building houses. Keeps me busy.

SUSAN I'll take your temp but not the humidity. Makes it hard to breathe and keep fresh from a shower. Isn't that the way of it when you procrastinate then you get them done quicker. There is something about jamming yourself up then you get it done at the last minute. I have done my amount of procrastination during my lifetime but always come through on a project or promise. I imagine your quilt blocks are beautiful. Your talent in that area is five star.

GAIL Are you out on your deck enjoying the day? I would love to be there with you sipping a nice hot cup of java. Live is good.

All y'all have a wonderful rest of this day. The sun is shining and all is well.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #11  

"Gma" -- I imagine your sister thinks she will be happier and feel better at home, and perhaps emotionally she will. The treasurer's job entails a lot more than I thought it would, and I felt like I had been on a merry-go-round after 2 hours! I will give it a try and see how it goes. The "real" treasurer doesn't go south until after Christmas so we will work together a few more times, and she will be around to bail me out of any messes I get myself into. I agree that those who employ illegals should be punished. The INS, or whatever it's called, won't even come here if we don't have a busload for them to deport.

Susan -- I have confidence you will get your quilt blocks done in time! I always have to at the names of your quilting groups. Bella's Belles is unique. Did Bella by chance start the group? I would freak out if I saw any kind of snake on a walk. The sign would be enough for me! I'd much prefer to work with the Asians than the Mexicans any day.

Maggie -- I know you will enjoy using your new mixer. Did Will bring home any new books for you today? I find I get more done at home when I have some sort of schedule to adhere to. I can waste an awful lot of time just putzing.

I have a library book due on Saturday so need to do some reading since I don't want to renew it. I'll see you all tomorrow!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #12  

Hey gals! I have my hubby home with me today as he decided to take a day off. I think he dreaded another day in the heat. Anyway, I have to drop off Fortune at the vets to be groomed and get his proheart shot, then go get Marty to doggysit for him this weekend, bring him back then we are going to do what I love best, NOT, commissary shopping. I didn't tell you that the commissary manager called me after I sent her an email about the commissary only having one checker last time. She was so incredibly nice, guaranteed me it would never ever happen again, fell all over her self apologizing. I guess she was on leave and wasn't even in town and it fell all to pieces. She originally sent me an email apologizing, but when she told the powers that be about it, they ask if she had called me and she said no and they said, CALL HER! I have never had a civilian store do anything but give me lip service and I was amazed frankly, the commissary didn't just ignore me.

I see Jack has already eaten his daily cereal and dragged the little ladder upstairs to change the lightbulb at the top of the stairs. It is black as pitch up there even during the day so you can't slough off with it.

I got my beautiful yarn and darn it if I didn't mess up and not order enough for the one project. I did start on it though and it is so cute. I will show it to you when it is done. Almost done with the sock too. I am glad as I am tired of the socks! I get easily bored with knitting sometimes and like to have several things going at once so I can switch back and forth.

Jean: Wow, sounds like a lot of work. Hope it doesn't get you all confused between that and the church stuff. When we went to Houston the first time, the drive on the interstate there was kind of creepy. We stopped at a rest area and it was one of those two sided jobs where it has the info center and such. Well on the back side was this incredibly beautiful picnic area, grassy and green and this beautiful small lake. They had signs along the lake though and when you got close enough to read them you sort of jumped back and went the other way. It was "Keep pets and children away from the lake, alligators come on shore" or something like that!!! Now why would they put a rest stop on a lake where there were alligators that came up onto the land?????

Susan: Hope you enjoy your new quilting group. I don't know how you keep them all straight! I had to laugh at your telling Jean to practice saying no. I used to take on anything anyone asked me until I realized I was only one person and was being used. I finally got up enough gumption to say, "No, I can't do it." Frankly, I think we ought to get up enough guts to tell the truth, which is "No, I don't WANT to do that!"

Maggie: Hope you enjoy your mixer. I love my stand mixer it is great, though heavy to move and clean around.

Well gals, I need to get a move on. I have to take Fortune over in an hour and I have done not one thing this morning except pay the car payment and credit card bill on my bank sit. Have a grand weekend all! Faye
Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another cloudy, sort of cool morning in my corner of the world. If the sun comes out it will be hot and humid. My kitchen is squeaky clean except for the floor which I will mop after I finish here. I also need to make a grocery run sometime before the crazies come out mid-afternoon.

"Gma" -- I bet Fortune will think "I just rid of Marty and here he is back again!" I'm sure Kelly appreciates you keeping him and he is happier with you than at the vets. Good luck at the commissary; maybe it won't be so busy today and nice that Jack can go with you. It was considerate of the manager to call you and apologize. I got a bill yesterday, from a dept. store, for an online purchase. I had actually forgotten about it and realized I hadn't received it -- a set of sheets. I checked my email and the UPS email update said they hadn't received the shipment and so cancelled the tracking #. I called the customer service # who in turn gave me the Sioux City store #. The sheets were supposed to come from Ohio. So I called the SC store, got transferred 3 times to people who had no clue, and finally ended up with the store manager. He took all of the #s and said he would credit my account and if I got the sheets, which is doubtful, to call him and they would reinstate the charge. He was to call me back within the hour to let me know he was able to fix it . . . never called. I called this morning and the charge is still on the account; the store doesn't open until 10 so will have to call when I finish here. GRRRRR! Actually, I did say "NO" loud and clear this week -- several times. Our church sponsors an ESL program, complete with breakfast and transportation to and from. The director asked me to help pick up kids before and take them home after. I decided I wasn't hauling around a bunch of you-know-whos, so told her I was busy training for the treasurer's job and working in the gift shop this week. Neither was a total lie -- just not happening when I could have been hauling!

I'm off to call the store, make a grocery list, and mop my floor. Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy!
Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is just 09 past 12 noon here in the Heartland with a day in the low 90's. I have what housework done that I am going to do this day and am here before I find some lunch. We had a thunder storm last night that did drop some moisture. Will is out mowing as I type. We had some of the 7 bean soup last night for dinner and so I will grill some chicken tenders for this evenings meal and serve julianed green beans & some of my rice mixtue with it along with a green salad and a bowl of fruit. That should do it. I didn't have to do any re-arranging of my things in the kitchen to find a home for the mixer for it took the place of the one that died. I really did love having my stand mixer but can't see buying another. Ragg Mopp is having puppy dreams and sounds so cute. One of the good things about having Beanie also is that ole Ragg gets more exercise than he used to. Got a wrestling partner and they are so cute when the tumble about. Silly me, I just got a start. EEK ~ I noticed I am missing the ring on my left pinky. I took it off yesterday for it was slipping off. DUH. I must be getting old.

DONNA FAYE How nice to have your main squeeze home with you this day. Hope the commisary is a whiz to go through this day. I am so happy for you to be able to save some by shopping there. Sure helps the pocket book. Your little pooch will think Marty is becoming a constant in his life. It is so good of you to take Marty in and he doesn't have to do the stay over with strangers. When we go on vacation I think we are going to leave our two with the vet that they know. He has places for boarding dogs and they love the gal that works for him. They might not even want to come home.

JEAN No Will didn't bring me any books this time for there were none he thought I would be interested in. He knows my taste in books well. I do hope you will enjoy your new undertaking. That gift shop looks like a nice place to work. What cookies did you decide on making? I havn't make cookies in so long and do have some good WW recipes. You might even have this book I have that is put out by WW on "Best-Ever Desserts" that came out in 2007 that has some yummy sounding recipes in it. I have gone through it and changed the stats over to Points+ on them. Most points in that book just went up one and sometimes none. There is one in there that I always make with fresh zucchini out of our garden called "Carrot, Zucchini and Walnut Bread" which freezes well and so we don't pig out on it that way. But it is such a good recipe. The book has 150 cakes, pies, cookies, bars, breads & tarts. Yep, it is a keeper.

GAIL & SUSAN A good day to you.

Time to go make some lunch. Have a wonderful weekend Magnolias. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 08-05-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD LATE AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We have been out and about this day and stopped at a yard sale that caught my interest. 3 big red candles on tall ugly holders, cheap. They are good candles and new with unlit wicks that will look good in some holders I will make with holly leaf an berry design in glass for the holidays. We don't usualy go yard sailing but those caught my eye as we drove by. I say the holders are ugly but someone will like them so they will make a good "white elephant" gift so I won't just toss them just yet. I have no ambition this afternoon. I need a "Pick - Me - Up."

Hope everyone is having a lovely day. I think I will go have a Pepsi on ice.