Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

Default Carb Count Concerns Continued

So, I typically keep a food journal to keep track of when/what I am eating. I am losing ok on IP, a little over 11 pounds in 4 weeks (I have cheated a few times so i am sure this held me back a little). Anyway, I am just still confused by the recommended carbs vs. the protocol sheet. I think we are all told 30 total carbs is the goal. However, if I eat per the protocol sheet, I am easily above 30. Today, for example, I am over 50. I am exercising and am ok with slightly slower weight loss because I supplement with an additional packet and/or additional protein; however, I fear that by not being at the lower amount of carbs I am possibly not getting into ketosis and my body is not burning the fat it needs to resulting in a starvation mode diet that is more detrimental. Does this make sense?? Anyone have thoughts about how this may affect my body and progress on the diet?

Using today as an example, here it is:
BF: vanilla pudding made with extra water, mixed with coffee.
AM snack: restricted bar
Lunch: green salad with 4 cherry tomatoes, a few slices of yellow pepper, cucumbers, and a few grilled chicken strips. WF dressing.
PM Snack: IP chocolate drink. Romaine Stir Fry.
Dinner: 4 oz extra lean ground beef, 2 cups broccoli, romaine stir fry. 1 egg and 2 egg whites.
*I had 2 splendas and some caramel WF syrup in my tea - probably adding a couple extra carbs total. I did 25 minutes easy cardio on the elliptical and an hour body sculpt class.

As I said, I don't mind my calories being a little higher or my carbs being a little higher provided that I am not slowing my weight loss significantly and I am not causing excess insulin production etc. thus defeating the purpose of the diet . . .
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/179/141

Height: 5'4"

Why are you counting carbs and calories? I've been so thankful this system has been a no brainer to follow. That's been the easy fun part of the program. You have your sheet...believe in it.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/170/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie View Post
Why are you counting carbs and calories? I've been so thankful this system has been a no brainer to follow. That's been the easy fun part of the program. You have your sheet...believe in it.
I second that. The beauty of this program is that it tells you exactly what to do and what not to do. My coach never even gave me a number to aim for, because the phase sheet spells out how to do everything, no calculations needed.
You are probably not doing your weight loss any favors by stressing about it. The sheet works, the proof is written all over the threads on this board. I think as long as you are following it 100% and losing weight, I wouldn't be too concerned. Trust the program until it gives you a reason not to.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/170/140

Height: 5'5"

I just went back and read your food diary again though, and you seem to be following quite a different protocol. I assume that is the athletic protocol? I have never seen that before. You are getting a lot of extra protein on top of your three packets, but that shouldn't add to your carb count, and is probably good since you exercise.
Also if you do the tomatoes every day that might be slowing you down, as they are occasional.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #5  

I keep a food diary and it shows me the carbs / calories / protein etc. once I have entered all my food. It is something I have done for a long time and I just continued to use that particular avenue rather than handwriting on the IP food log. So, each day I enter the number glares out at me and that is primarily why this has come to my attention. I find paying attention to my macro and micro nutrients helpful (fiber, water, vitamins, minerals, etc.).

I guess I am trying to understand the consequences of not being in ketosis on an ultra low calorie diet (i.e. do you no longer burn fat for fuel and thereby start burning muscle instead?, does your body not use the extra calories from its stores in a manner to prevent negative consquences to your metabolism? etc). I think there's probably a reason it is supposed to be medically supervised and administered, and why it should be tweaked for each dieter since everybody has a different threshold, different responses etc. So, I guess I just don't think the sheet is the be-all / end-all and wasn't sure if any of the experienced IPers had any knowledge about the 30 gram number and if you are, say, double that or if it doesn't matter.

Just curious =)
Old 08-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #6  

And, yes, I do the athletic protocol on days where I workout but I try to space out my meals so that they are only about 3-4 hours apart, otherwise I get hungry!

There are carbs in the IP packets, some have 9 or 15, so they can impact the daily total and since I consumed 2 of the higher ones I know that raised my numbers. But one cannot live on vanilla pudding either ;-)
Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #7  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Princess said what I thought...watch those tomatoes, and for me that WF carmel stuff seemed to be a problem.
Why not get ketostix and see if you are in ketosis? I never seem to get more than the trace indication, but that's fine. you have to test first thing in the morning, less dilution
Old 08-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #8  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Another thought: when you spend so much time obsessing counting grams of this and that and calories, etc. it is often an avoidance technique...not saying anything critical here but...what might you be doing if you werent' spending so much time and energy on all that?
this plan allows you to free yourself from that bondage, and you still learn how to eat effectively and make choices that will allow you to maintain weight loss
Old 08-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Just curious, is it written soomeplace to stay under 30 carbs? Several people have mentioned that and I'm wondering wher that number is given.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #10  

Patns - I have only seen it written on these forums and believe that is the number my coach told me. Don't quote me though, the fact that this isn't on all my literature yet keeps coming up is part of the reason I posted this asking for some specific information about the diet and whether certain combinations of packets & veggies should be looked at more carefully.

Purrfect - I have the ketostix and don't seem to be registering on them. This is part of the reason for my question. If I am struggling to get into ketosis, though blindly following the sheet, then perhaps I need to look more carefully at my choices.

I believe keeping a food diary is a healthy, lifetime choice and not an avoidance mechanism. I have been doing it for years and managed to lose the majority of my weight by doing so. Ideal Protein requires us to keep a food journal as well and since this will be a habit I keep when I am done with IP I figure I shouldn't untrain myself during this process.

What might I be doing if I weren't looking at this (late at night)? Sleeping, if I could, but I cannot so I choose to get on here and research my diet more thoroughly =)
Closed Thread