General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #1  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Default Problems with Fiber One Bars/Too Much Fiber?

I need help, guys. Possible TMI warning ahead. Right now, my stomach is just feeling awful, and has been for hours. I am experiencing terrible crampy feelings, and it almost feels as if I might be really gassy or constipated, but I can neither pass gas, nor defecate; I was able to do the latter once earlier today, quite well, so I figure maybe I don't need to so much as it feels like I need to.

The only thing I have changed in my diet is that recently I have been eating one 90 calorie Fiber One brownie every day. But isn't excess fiber supposed to cause potential diarrhea, instead of this? I guess I'm assuming this is diet-related because I didn't do anything else unusual today, and no one around me is sick. And I'm asking because, if anyone thinks the brownies could be the problem, I certainly don't want to keep eating them.

Thanks in advance for bearing with me through the less-than-pleasant details.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/tick/150

Height: 5'7"

How is your water intake?
The fiber needs lots of water to sort of swell up and push things along, otherwise it could cause your symptoms. You might want to increase your water and decrease your fiber brownies a little... and then slowly increase to a higher frequency giving your body time to adjust.
Em.
EmilyMartis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #3  
Cuddly Veg*n

I've been drinking four quarts a day, so... I'm scared to increase any higher than that for fear of water poisoning. =P
Old 08-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

fiber definitely, DEFINITELY makes me gassy! Yes, yes, yes on the Fiber One bars...and yes, on Kashi Go Lean too!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

My limit is two "Fiber Foods" (FiberOne / FiberPlus) or I get crampy and bloated and ...all sorts of "Oh god the pain!"...

Even one every day is sometimes a bit too much for me. Every couple of days is alright, but more than that... and things get kinda backed up. Or maybe not really backed up, but MUCH MORE NOTICEABLE as it travels through me.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 179/170/140

Height: 5'5

Weird. I would think that the fiber one bars would solve that problem, not cause it. Maybe its artificial sugars in the fiber one brownie. My diet forbids food of that nature and since I started, my stomach feels better than it has in a long time. No diarrhea and everything passes through... nicely.

Try getting fiber from natural foods like spinach or carrots.
Not nearly as delicious, but it might solve your problem

Last edited by ChubbyCheeks; 08-02-2011 at 11:54 PM.
ChubbyCheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

chubby..I have read that about alchohol sugars before...I am sure they are in Fiber One products...don't know about Kashi
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #8  
Cuddly Veg*n

Thanks guys. I'm going to cut way back on them now, maybe eat them every other day or once every three days.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkaleidoscopic View Post
I need help, guys. Possible TMI warning ahead. Right now, my stomach is just feeling awful, and has been for hours. I am experiencing terrible crampy feelings, and it almost feels as if I might be really gassy or constipated, but I can neither pass gas, nor defecate; I was able to do the latter once earlier today, quite well, so I figure maybe I don't need to so much as it feels like I need to.

The only thing I have changed in my diet is that recently I have been eating one 90 calorie Fiber One brownie every day. But isn't excess fiber supposed to cause potential diarrhea, instead of this? I guess I'm assuming this is diet-related because I didn't do anything else unusual today, and no one around me is sick. And I'm asking because, if anyone thinks the brownies could be the problem, I certainly don't want to keep eating them.

Thanks in advance for bearing with me through the less-than-pleasant details.
I have eaten the Fiber One bars with no problem and later switched to Kelloggs Fiber Plus bars, which I think taste better. Fiber does not cause diarrhea. It absorbes the water in your diet and "bulks up" your stool. It just makes it easier to go, and prevents constipation. Fiber is good for you, but it should be introduced into your diet slowly to allow you body to adjust to it.

I hope you're feeling better by now.

Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #10  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Fiberone hurts my tummy too... I find if I eat them in the morning it's not as bad.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

lol. My husband and I just laugh about Fiber one bars, they just kill us. When the commercial comes on where a guy keeps coming back for more samples of the FiberOne bars and says it can't be good for you or something like that. My husband and I say "clear out the store and don't light a match"
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #12  

Its not the fiber in those bars and brownies, it's the stuff they sweeten them with. I eat lots of fiber and never have the symptoms you mentioned unless I eat one of those bars.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Its not the fiber in those bars and brownies, it's the stuff they sweeten them with. I eat lots of fiber and never have the symptoms you mentioned unless I eat one of those bars.
What do they sweeten them with?

Carol
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #14  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

If these bars have sugar alcohols (Maltitol or Xylitol), those have been known to cause "gastrointestinal distress".

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 08-05-2011 at 10:43 AM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/192/140

Height: 5 Feet, 5 Inches

I think it could very well be the fiber one. One day not realizing the amount of fiber in them I ate three in one day. I was on the pot fir 3 hours straight. I was in so much pain. It's probably the gas the fiber can cause.
NotJustALittleFat is offline   Reply With Quote