Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 09:03 AM   #1  

Default Need to get into life again...

I don't know why, but the last few years, I've been so blah in regards to worrying about what I look like. Maybe it has to do with my weight. In fact, that is probably it.

I don't bother about whether my hair is ok, whether I need makeup, whether I have brushed my teeth - I barely care about my personal appearance anymore and happily walk up to the supermarket in my daggyiest trackie pants. I so want to get out of it...anyone else had similar experiences?

Starting today, I am going to dig myself out of this rut.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:02 PM   #2  

I know what you mean. At least you recognize it though and are about to change the pattern. Good for you! Making the effort is the first step.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:28 PM   #3  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Me too - I've been there. It was at it's very worst when I first retired. It was like I didn't know who I was without my job. Some of it can be related to depression too, which I have had serious bouts of the last few years.
Old 06-15-2003, 12:56 PM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Hey Alyra....it's a hard rut to get out of, that's for sure! I think maybe just start by taking 15 extra minutes on yourself every morning, even if you know you're not going to walk out of the house that day. I know I've crafted a new rule for me - NO sweatpants outside the house anymore, unless I'm exercising in them!

I don't wear makeup either. I just never got into the habit of it.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #5  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I realized how much I like looking nice now that I'm losing some weight. I went into work Friday to drop off my Pampered Chef orders, and I felt a little bad that I wasn't all dolled up. Then I realized it was Casual Friday, I generally roll out of bed & go to work on Fridays.

I think how you feel is tied immensely to how you look, and how you feel about how you look.

I have noticed I get treated nicer as a customer in stores & in general when I take a little time w/my appearance.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:47 PM   #6  

I know what you mean. I can remember in high school how I woudn't walk out of the house if I hadn't taken a shower. Now, sometimes I can't remember when I took a shower. Can't say that I go to the extreme but sometimes I just don't care. Pretty gross if you think about it.

I too, have let myself slide. Hair in a ponytail, out of the way. T shirt, jeans....hate shoes and socks so I look for easy slip ons. When I know that I'm wearing something really heinous I've forced myself to throw it out. Debating doing that with a lot of my tshirts...have a lot that have bleach stains, little holes, etc. Just don't seem to care. Guess it's another way to fade into the background....pretty good trick for someone my size.

Think I'm just going to retrain myself into a making a habit of taking care of me. They say it takes 28 days to create a habit. Why not give it a shot? That, and take a look at look at your wardrobe and weed out the really bad stuff. Can't figure out that last one myself...maybe it's because I hate shopping so much.

LOL...what a happy post. Maybe I should change my screenname to "Dark Cloud"

Deb
Old 06-15-2003, 08:42 PM   #7  

Wow its so amazing to see I'm not the only one....today I got out of bed 15 minutes earlier so I have more time to 'get ready'. I usually only get out of bed 30 minutes before I have to leave for work, but by the time I get dressed and look at my websites (what an addiction) its time to leave...

Definately going to try and make a habit of making an effort with my appearance - maybe we all will!
Old 06-16-2003, 07:47 AM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Alyra - you have a great idea here...
getting yourself "pretty" everyday will do wonders for your motivation.

Before you know it you will want to reward yourself with clothes, makeup, lotions, candles etc instead of food!! That is a great feeling of control of your eating when that happens.

Do up as many before and after pictures as you can - it's great to see progress, not only in your weight loss but also how you treat the outer you too!!

Dana
Old 06-16-2003, 09:38 AM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I am very into hair and makeup and jewlery. I am into clothes too, but find it hard to make a statement when I am this heavy.

I really do find that the more "put together" I am, the better I feel. A nice perfume does wonders too.

I think starting 15 minutes early is a great idea! You'd be suprised how far some lipstick can take you.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:47 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

My advice: Get a hair cut.

No matter what, when I get a hair cut, it motivates me to get other things into place. I notice my clothes more, my body more and I even put more thought and energy into what I put in my body.

A hair cut is a kick in the pants for me.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:21 PM   #11  

I know exactly what you mean. I went over 2 years without even getting my hair cut. I figured the rest of me looked so bad, why bother with the hair. You really will feel better if you just make yourself do it. Even if you don't feel like it, just make yourself do it anyway. You will be so glad that you did!!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:17 PM   #12  
Searching

Cool I know exactly what you mean

Feeling kinda sad, not really giving a crap.

I have been living there for a few weeks and I don't know how you can stand it. I have been forcing the make-up on especially if I have to see people. Part of me feels like its a charade, because I don't want anyone to worry about me. But it has its good parts. I am moving and doing. I look better therefor I feel somewhat better. Reap the benefits forget the reasons.

Hoping to be a lovely fashion plate soon. (I usually love this stuff, and I did have fun colouring my SIL's hair this last weekend)

Miss Chris
Old 06-17-2003, 10:17 AM   #13  
Losin It For GOOD!

I need to get my hair colored.. that always motivates me to look beauteous again...

I did "dress up" today though - took the time to do my hair and paint my toenails. FOr some reason I find if I paint my toenails, I want the rest of me to look nice to go along with them.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:48 AM   #14  

Default Pretty sure I did all of the above

Thank you all for telling the truth Which came first the weight or the depression? As my weight piled on and It became more difficult for me to even do simple thing, I began to give up. I didn't care. I shudder at some of the clothes I wore to work and how my hair just fell into my face I haven't lost much weight, but just getting my eating under control has given me such a boost in my selfesteem. I also threw out some nasty clothes, got a manicure and hair cut. I don't want this to stop. 268/260/253.5/150 Later Sandylynn
Old 06-17-2003, 10:50 AM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I am treating me & my mom to pedicures tomorrow for our birthdays.
Closed Thread