Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Doing So So, going on vacation and scared!

I'm a Weight Watcher but have not been in 2 months post surgery. I know it's dumb and i should go and face the music but i feel so gross and can't fathom seeing the 7 lb. weight gain. I know i should go but mentally it's too hard for me

Anyways, i've been doing so so the past few weeks, i've been tracking and seeing where my points go. Lately, i'm embarrassed to say, alot of pts have been going to alcohol. So i stopped doing that, hopped on the scale and i am still up but know that's my fault.

I leave for a 9 day vacation this Saturday, have been shopping for my own food (other's don't think i should be "dieting" on vacation) because for me, it's not worth gaining MORE weight. I do however plan on having a few cocktails but not doing both eating and drinking.

My question is, how do i deter my brain when everyone else in the house (other than my ww friend) is eating tons of crappy snacks. I really want to leave vacation feeling good, not sluggish and being a failure!! Thanks!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 AM   #2  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointspluspioneer View Post

My question is, how do i deter my brain when everyone else in the house (other than my ww friend) is eating tons of crappy snacks. I really want to leave vacation feeling good, not sluggish and being a failure!! Thanks!
By focusing on you! What everyone else says/does does not need to impact your choices. Maybe you shouldn't be "dieting" on vacation (or ever ), but you should definitely continue making choices to improve your health and move toward your goals. If your goal is to come home from vacay feeling awesome (and not sluggish and not failing), make purposeful choices that will help you get there! You totally know what those are, even if it's in a different environment you can still make it work.

On the practical side- bring healthy food options, drink lots of water, walk as much as possible or choose physical activities (like hiking, biking, etc.) if they are available where you are going. Plan in a couple of treats and stick with the plan! Get support from your WW friend.

I know it's hard to see others letting loose on the junk food/alcohol, but try to focus on the positive side of things- see your choices, however hard they are to make in the moment, as you choosing the stronger, healthier, lighter you. And have fun! There are so many things to enjoy about a vacation that are not food-oriented.
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #3  
Gaining control

S/C/G: 148/131/120

Height: 5'2

I am leaving on vacation on Friday for a week. I am buying (or at least most) of my own food. I going to bring healthy snack options like celery and peanut butter, apples, bananas, and yogurt. Having these things on hand will make it easier for me to say no to the things that I shouldn't have. Don't feel guilty if you have a dinner you shouldn't have or a dessert, etc. Just make up for it the next day by taking a long walk, jog, hiking, etc, whatever is available to you. I am going to the beach so plan on walking/jogging along the beach in the mornings before it gets too hot out.

Go with a PLAN and it will make it so much easier!
mamamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #4  

Thank you SO much, wonderful advice I always tell my self "it's not worth it" with regards to bad food. I would much rather be thinner and healthier than enjoy a minute on the lips!! I remind myself, it's the first bite or taste that anyone cares about so if i want a bite, i'll calculate it and move on

Yes, there is plenty to do on vacation for sure. Alot of walking which is great. I made a promise to myself that i would not sit with bags of anything and use the excuse i was on vacation. I don't see it as dieting, i see how i'm eating as a way of life that i need to do forever. My friends call it "dieting"!!!!

The great thing is that for the first year with these friends, i've opted to do my own shopping. I don't want to share the expense of oreo's, chips, ice cream and sausages that i won't/don't eat
Old 08-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #5  

Weight Watchers is not a diet but a plan to change your lifestyle. Vacations are part of life, and holidays, etc. Brushing your teeth is a lifestyle choice. You don't stop brushing your teeth because you are on vacation and your healthy eating shouldn't take a time out either. What other people eat is their business. If you truly want to lose weight and be healthy, you will stick with your plan.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I echo what others are saying, and just want to give you a

Doesn't matter what the people going on vacation are doing or telling you to do. You're in charge. And I think it's amazing you're doing some shopping so you can still have a nice relaxing vacation, and still plan to stay on plan.

Aim to do better this time on vacation than you may have done in the past. You absolutely can. Come back and tell us all about how well you succeeded!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #7  

Well i just did it!!! I had to switch PCPs and made an appt for a physical the morning after i get home from vacation!!! Now i have even more incentive to not eat crap due to they will probably weight me .... ick! I'll just tell them like i usually do, "i'm on ww and don't want to know because it's not my official weigh in" lol!! But i'm proud of myself for doing this, i originally had an appt for the 29th but why wait....here's to hoping i don't eat crummy!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for the support and rooting me on
Old 08-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

i went on vacation in april and joined a gym for the week....some people thought i was crazy but i went everyday of my trip first thing in the morning and then i chilled out on the beach all day knowing i worked out... i also ordered salads every night or grilled chicken...alcohol is never a prob for me...but my advice wd be just to workout and count calories and eat what you want without going over your points
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #9  

I'm determined to do well. I know i'm going to treat myself to seafood for dinner one night as i'm going on vacation where there is the BEST fresh seafood around!! I talked to my friend last night and we all decided to go for a long walk every morning before getting started for the day. I was also thinking of bringing my kettle bell and Jillian Michael's DVD as there is a player there. It's only 30 mins. I could gain some activity pts!

Last edited by pointspluspioneer; 08-03-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #10  

So i'm mid week and i'm doing so so! I have had probably too many cocktails but my eating has been under control. I'm coming home and going crazy with ww and the gym! I need to get my motivation back and fast. It's tough to be in a house where everyone eats so poorly but i'm trying, not perfect to say the least but ok!