General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/200/130

Height: 5'2"

Default How do you stay in control?

I would love some advice on this: I am an extremely emotional eater. That being said I lose all control and binge in response to stress. I often feel like I have no control over anything and then prove my own point by eating everything possible because I am (sad, happy, angry, frustrated....pick an emotion)
My brain tells me that if there is anything I can control it should be what I put into my body, but I don't, I just cave and then hate myself even more. Anyone have any advice? I appreciate it.
jltcmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #2  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

I avoid buying things I know I will binge on. This is especially easy if you live alone. Just don't keep enough food to really binge.

Other than that, it's really about finally finding the resolve to be what you want to be. You're sick of being in the 200s? That's worth more than binging, right? You can do it!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/170

Height: 5'10"

I have struggled with weight my whole life because of binging. Late night when no one can see and then eat very little during the day. I know that there are many things that are out of my control but food is in my control. I usually just recite this verse "John 14:27 Peace I leave with you my peace I give you, I do not give to you as others give. Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid" It seems to give me what I need to pass the impulse to plow through a box of swiss cake rolls. The other thing I do is have healthy things to binge on (or at least less points) like banana's if I want something sweet, Salsa and low fat tortilla chips if I want something spicy, and pretzels if I want something salty. Stock up on the healthy things!
wagfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I buy things that I would normally binge on (say chocolate) in a single serving size (one mini bar rather than a full size bar or a bag) the day I know I'm going to eat it because I've been good. That way there isn't anything I want to binge on if my emotions tell me to start eating (because veggies really aren't going to hit the spot for my emotional eating).

The other thing I do before I even have a snack is check my count (I calorie count) to see where I'm at. If you're calorie counting or on weight watchers or something like that it might help to check your number either before you start binging or part way through, and ask yourself (if applicable) 'is this the last think I want to eat today?' and maybe that will help you stop.
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkaleidoscopic View Post
I avoid buying things I know I will binge on. This is especially easy if you live alone. Just don't keep enough food to really binge.

Other than that, it's really about finally finding the resolve to be what you want to be. You're sick of being in the 200s? That's worth more than binging, right? You can do it!
This is what I do. I always keep fruit and veggies on hand and usually after eating a piece of fruit, I reevaluate and stop myself. Or at times I tell myself if I want to binge, I have to walk to get it. Once I'm in work out clothes and moving and sweaty, I change my mind. Also exercise minimizes my appetite or desire to eat. I exercise at night because I find exercise makes me hungrier if I do it in the morning. I did have a binging issue the last time I made goal because I didn't properly plan for maintenance and regained 20lbs in 2 months. Also I have reduced my sugar intake. When I eat even a fun size snickers bar, I white knuckle it to stop there. I still eat sugar now and again but its severely limited. I also at times have put on snug pants I'm trying to get back into and within 10 mins, decide my goal is more important. These boards are a great place for extra support. Good luck!

Last edited by christine123; 08-01-2011 at 11:57 PM.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
Also I have reduced my sugar intake. When I eat even a fun size snickers bar, I white knuckle it to stop there. I still eat sugar now and again but its severely limited.
This is what I need to do. I have and always have had a major sweet tooth. I dearly love sweets, and it seems impossible to give them up completely. However, I would love to get to the point where I'm okay with just eating some sweets a couple of times a week.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #7  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I'd say the number one reason people lose control is because of this ALL or NOTHING mentality. You have a little of something "off program" and then you tell yourself..."aaaaggghh! since I went off plan, I might as well...."(you complete). THIS mentality is the biggest self destructive thought process that one can have.

While I can't tell you what can work for you...I can most certainly tell you what has worked for me. I've always allowed myself a daily treat that was calorie controlled, but satisfied my desire for something sweet and cakey. I cook ALL my own meals and desserts from scratch (this one helps a GREAT deal). When I was losing weight, I allowed myself a weekly CHEAT MEAL. It was consist of food only...not dessert. I'd have my favorite takeout chinese, jamaican food or pizza. ONE portion...but I'd have it once a week or sometimes bi-weekly.

I find that ALLOWING myself the foods I really liked, but within the boundaries/rules I created, not only created the ability in me to CONTROL what I ate, but I lost all my weight without any stalls, I lost it slow enough to not have lose skin problems and I never felt deprived.

I don't suffer from binging...sure I overate...I think that's true of most people here. However, I DO know many people who do binge, and as such I can say, I truly believe that SELF DEPRIVATION and that dreaded ALL or NOTHING mentality is the culprit. All the best.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #8  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post

I don't suffer from binging...sure I overate...I think that's true of most people here. However, I DO know many people who do binge, and as such I can say, I truly believe that SELF DEPRIVATION and that dreaded ALL or NOTHING mentality is the culprit. All the best.
I am not sure this is always the reason for bingeing. I can only speak from personal experience but when I binged, it was a planned event that had nothing to do with hunger or deprivation. I used to allow a daily treat when I lost the weight the first time. That did nothing to prevent a binge. I was very depressed after my mother died and I found a great deal of comfort in eating. I actually planned days where I would get tons of food (even stuff I didn't love all that much.. like dominoes pizza) and sit in my pjs, isolate myself with a stack of dvds and eat. It was a ritual. I wouldn't even answer my phone. This had nothing to do with deprivation because I hadn't deprived myself during that weight loss process. But it filled me up, some emotional hole, to do this. I would get so full, I could barely breathe. I would wait until the food settled, then start again, on the very same day. As the sadness lifted, I stopped binging as much. Just yesterday (which it's been about 3yrs now since I struggled with regular binging) I walked into the CVS to get a prescription and thought "gee I'd love to grab that pint of ice cream, and some white cheddar cheezits, sit in front of the TV and stuff myself." Well I wasn't even hungry! Nor do I care about cheezits on a regular basis..And I had 1/2 cup of ice cream Saturday and Sunday (the days where I allow a small sugary treat). No deprivation there.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/200/130

Height: 5'2"

Thank you everyone for your advice! It means a lot to me.
jltcmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

"Life is Hard, Food is Easy" by Linda Spangle helped me get a grip on emotional eating.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I plan all of my meals and snacks and don't eat off the plan. It helps me tremendously.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #12  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm an emotional eater too. I have plenty of good reasons why I should overeat to comfort myself, but at the end of the day, the binge eating not only doesn't help my life problems, it actually exacerbates them a great deal.

If I really wanna binge, I try to keep sugar free popsicles around. I try to leave the part of my house that is near the kitchen.

I take it one day at a time....sometimes, one minute at a time.

I visualize myself with at my ideal body and then I imagine what I'll feel like the next morning after a binge......will I be proud or disgusted with my binge? If I can do all that, then I can prevent it.

I still binge but I've gotten a lot better at stopping myself. My goal for August is not to binge at all.

I hope you'll figure it out....it's definitely worth it. You're worth it!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #13  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine123 View Post
I am not sure this is always the reason for bingeing. I can only speak from personal experience but when I binged, it was a planned event that had nothing to do with hunger or deprivation. I used to allow a daily treat when I lost the weight the first time. That did nothing to prevent a binge. I was very depressed after my mother died and I found a great deal of comfort in eating. I actually planned days where I would get tons of food (even stuff I didn't love all that much.. like dominoes pizza) and sit in my pjs, isolate myself with a stack of dvds and eat. It was a ritual. I wouldn't even answer my phone. This had nothing to do with deprivation because I hadn't deprived myself during that weight loss process. But it filled me up, some emotional hole, to do this. I would get so full, I could barely breathe. I would wait until the food settled, then start again, on the very same day. As the sadness lifted, I stopped binging as much. Just yesterday (which it's been about 3yrs now since I struggled with regular binging) I walked into the CVS to get a prescription and thought "gee I'd love to grab that pint of ice cream, and some white cheddar cheezits, sit in front of the TV and stuff myself." Well I wasn't even hungry! Nor do I care about cheezits on a regular basis..And I had 1/2 cup of ice cream Saturday and Sunday (the days where I allow a small sugary treat). No deprivation there.
WOW...just found this post...it really struck a nerve. I guess I stand CORRECTED! You sound just like my 25 yr old daughter who struggles with bingeing and depression. I could never help her, because she could never explain it to me this way. She kinda resents me for "being thin all my life" so she says. She thinks it's just soooo easy for me to lose, but she's wrong...well actually...no, she's right. It is easy for me, not for any physical reasons though. Cuz mentally I don't have that kind of relationship with food. I love to eat, but only when I'm hungry.

Thanks for this Christine....thanks for 'setting me straight' on this one.

Now if I only knew how to fix her depression. She's about to have a gastric bypass surgery! Anyhoot...thanks and sorry about the loss of your Mom.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 306.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I set lots of goals. Something so simple as losing 5 lbs and coming up with a non food reward. I am 20 lbs away from getting a treadmill (Big reward!). Before when I lost weight I would reward myself with high calorie foods that I like. I soon found out it was a bad idea because I would go a week on these high calorie binges ruining everything I worked so hard for. I also avoid buying trigger foods. Even though crackers can be healthy, I know if I buy some I will eat the whole box before the end of the day.
jnhu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnhu72 View Post
I set lots of goals. Something so simple as losing 5 lbs and coming up with a non food reward. I am 20 lbs away from getting a treadmill (Big reward!). Before when I lost weight I would reward myself with high calorie foods that I like. I soon found out it was a bad idea because I would go a week on these high calorie binges ruining everything I worked so hard for. I also avoid buying trigger foods. Even though crackers can be healthy, I know if I buy some I will eat the whole box before the end of the day.
Lately, I've avoided even crackers as well. I try to eat meals rather than snack foods. Otherwise, I never feel satisfied.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote