General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

Default Diet Soda

"Can I have a big mac no tomato large french fries and a DIET coke?"

LOL

But my real question is, why do people say that diet soda is bad? I mean I've tried my best to do a research and find out whats really going on but I found both bad AND good things about it.. I just want to know you guys' opinion. It doesn't have sugar or calories. I know it contains a lot of crap but what's the truth ?!
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

I know for me the aspartame in diet sodas actually makes me sick (nauseous and dizzy - I think I must have some sort of sensitivity to it, if that's even possible), which is worse - in my opinion - than the 150 calories in a non-diet soda. That's my biggest "issue" with diet soda... I would prefer a non sweetened iced tea or something - no calories or aspartame!

Also I like that you mentioned the big mac thing, I've heard people order that before and even at restaurants (a double bacon cheeseburger with fries and a diet soda... seems kinda pointless at that point, haha).
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/210/125

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAnn View Post
Also I like that you mentioned the big mac thing, I've heard people order that before and even at restaurants (a double bacon cheeseburger with fries and a diet soda... seems kinda pointless at that point, haha).
I find this common comment unfair, though I know you're being light-hearted. I've lost weight before, 80 lbs, and re-gained it because I moved to the US and my entire lifestyle changed for the worse - lived in bad neighbourhoods, had no sidewalks to walk anywhere anymore, had a lot of financial stress, among other reasons - but I digress. During that previous weight loss, and now, I can easily fit in bacon cheeseburgers and fries (though for my heart, I wouldn't want to eat like that every day) while calorie counting and still lose weight (I know some people can't do this). But if I was drinking a ton of additional calories, they would put me over the top. I'd rather use my calories on a burger and fries than sugar water.

With that said, I find all diet soda disgusting, so I stick with water primarily. But when I order water with the occasionally unhealthy meal, I'm sure people would make similar comments.

As for the OP - studies claim that diet soda triggers increased appetite so it makes some people want to eat more. This might depend on the individual person, their body, whether they are sensitive to triggers, etc.

Last edited by cortandcooper; 07-31-2011 at 03:35 AM.
cortandcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortandcooper View Post
I find this common comment unfair, though I know you're being light-hearted. I've lost weight before, 80 lbs, and re-gained it because I moved to the US and my entire lifestyle changed for the worse - lived in bad neighbourhoods, had no sidewalks to walk anywhere anymore, had a lot of financial stress, among other reasons - but I digress. During that previous weight loss, and now, I can easily fit in bacon cheeseburgers and fries (though for my heart, I wouldn't want to eat like that every day) while calorie counting and still lose weight (I know some people can't do this). But if I was drinking a ton of additional calories, they would put me over the top. I'd rather use my calories on a burger and fries than sugar water.

With that said, I find all diet soda disgusting, so I stick with water primarily. But when I order water with the occasionally unhealthy meal, I'm sure people would make similar comments.

As for the OP - studies claim that diet soda triggers increased appetite so it makes some people want to eat more. This might depend on the individual person, their body, whether they are sensitive to triggers, etc.

I agree with all your comments. I think the humor in that commonly-recited scenario about the big macs and the diet soda is probably aimed at people who generally want to "cut back," not for people like you (and me) who are actually monitoring our calories. In our case, every calorie counts, so even if I can shave a just a few calories off here and there (e.g., skipping the cream in my morning coffee---which is only about 40 calories), I'll do it. Diet soda certainly qualifies as more than a few.

However, like you, I do not like the taste of diet soda. Also, to the OP, this is probaby just my paranoia, but I don't like any sweetener that has been "manufactured" in some lab. No thanks.

All of this is easy for me to say, though, because I am not a big soda drinker. I get a hankering for a soda about twice a year (tops), and when I do, I just get a small, regular Coke. So, it's easy for me to preach againt diet soda because sodas aren't my weakness. If they're your (i.e., OP's) weakness, then I think it's better to substitute diet sodas for regular sodas until you can wean yourself off of soda. It will help in your weight loss efforts mainly because you'll be cutting calories from your diet.

Last edited by lin43; 07-31-2011 at 07:37 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:37 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Some people do not like diet soda, because it's a "frankenfood", a lot of unnatural sweeteners or ingredients.

Sometimes their bodies do not react well to aspartame, or splenda.

Sometimes the taste of diet soda triggers certain people to eat more. (I had a roommate who loved Diet Coke, but she realized that she was used to snacking while she ate it, so when she had diet sodas she automatically wanted to snack on things.)

Some people simply avoid it because they feel plain ol' refreshing water is better.

There are a lot of reasons people avoid or dislike diet sodas. Just like there are a lot of reasons that some people DO like them.

They give some people a chance to drink soda without having to worry about the calories or sugar.

It gives some people the ability to feel like they're not "on a diet" since they can drink what they normally do (even if it's called diet soda).

There's no right or wrong. Just like a diet plan. If you want to drink diet soda, and it doesn't adversely affect you, then there's nothing wrong with it.

I, myself, have diet soda rarely (think 3-4 times a year rarely), but as I've said before I won't be on my death bed regretting diet soda. I have bigger things on my mind.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

EricAnn:Non-sweetened Iced Tea is a great substitute but it's SO hard (at least for me) find the one I like. I've tried so many and they taste bad.. Ugh. Do you have a good one in mind? Do you mind sharing? lol

cortandcooper: I'm sorry I did not mean to offend you. I did not aim it at people that calorie count or anything, my aunt practically lives at McDonalds and that's her order. She then, cries on why she is overweight. I am jealous that you can actually eat foods like that when calorie counting and STILL lose weight. Lucky!

lin43: Idk, I barely drink soda but I drink tons of water.I am going to start IF, and water never helps me when I'm hungry. But soda does. And I don't find the taste that bad... So hopefully it works

Lovely: That was some great info thanks! Yeah I'm not addicted to soda or anything, I just wanted to see what people think lol thnx
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Pointless: Lipton is the best I've found so far http://www.liptont.com/our_products/...x_unsweet.aspx. Their diet iced teas have aspartame in them but this one doesn't... it's actually pretty good! It does have maltodextrin in it, but I don't think it's as bad as aspartame. You can also just try steeping a peach or raspberry tea overnight, sometimes that takes some of the bitterness out, or drying the tea (bags or leaves) in the sun before you steep them helps I've heard... You can also add in some fruit juices (fresh) for some natural sugars (oranges, etc.)

Cortandcooper: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult anyone. And I too have done the big mac and fries with a diet coke. The only reason I mentioned it is because I feel that is how I got the way I am - unhealthy, unfit, and uncomfortable with my body. Because I was ordering a diet coke it seemed "ok" to consistently eat that way and as you mentioned, doing that everyday would not be good for you.

Last edited by EricAnn; 08-01-2011 at 04:33 AM.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #8  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

I count calories and thus, budget junk food for when we're out and about, celebrating, etc. But I'd rather not drink my calories unless it's in milk, so on the rare occasion I order soda, I order diet. I try to avoid it as much as possible because I'm breastfeeding and want to limit the super-baddies in my diet.

Also, I'll try to limit my splurges to one bad thing when I eat fast food. So if I go to Carl's Jr, which is very rare, I'll order the criss-cut fries (LOVE them) to share with my son, 2 grilled chicken soft tacos (which I then dump the contents of one onto the other and eat only 1 tortilla, 300 cals for that and super filling!) and a diet soda. It's very rare, but it's satisfying and I like knowing where I can have "healthy" options in the unhealthiest of places.
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #9  
Happy Member

I drink diet soda in moderation, I have drunk it throughout my weight-loss journey.

I like it. I have absolutely no plans to cease using it.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/194/130

Height: 5'2

I love Diet Pepsi. The only thing that bothers me about it is the fake chemical sugar in there. That's why I try to have no more than a glass or two a day. But I haven't found that it increases my appetite at all. I view it as a treat and thoroughly enjoy it!

Oh and even when I'm totally off plan and ordering whatever the heck I want from McDonald's... I STILL will order a diet pepsi, b/c I like the taste. Real soda tastes gross to me, waaay too sugar-y.
RJ 1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #11  
Ara

Diet soda isn't bad for your appetite, but it's bad for your body, mostly because of the aspartame in it.

When you take in something "sweet", your body expects...well, sugar because it needs fuel. So when you consume diet soda, it's looking for that sugar and can't find it, so your insulin levels go up, and your body removes glucose from your blood and then stores it as fat.

I'm not saying that drinking regular soda is good for you, either. All that high-fructose corn syrup...urrgh.

I personally believe that if you want to have something sweet to drink, fruit smoothies are the way to go. Or if you just want something to drink, water all the way.
Ara is offline   Reply With Quote