Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #1  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Default My fridge has been invaded by squash!

Hubby and I joined a CSA this year. I was a little disappointed with it in the beginning because almost all they had was greens. Don't get me wrong, I like greens. We just couldn't eat that large of an amount and a lot went bad.

But now it's summer squash galore! And luckily I like squash.

I made a chicken soup with squash and beets the other night. This morning I had chopped zucchini and a scrambled egg. Thinking about looking up a muffin recipe...

What do you do with your summer squash?

Last edited by TheBunneh; 07-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

I haven't tried it yet, but over at Kalyn's Kitchen there is a recipe for Low Sugar and Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Bread that looks delicious!
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

So, my grandma brought over a gigantic bag of summer squash she grew, which I have never cooked. I ended up making fries with them! I just cut them into wedges (no need to peel since they are so little) then I salted them and baked them in a hot oven (400f) until the edges were dark brown, then flipped and cooked a bit longer. I dipped them in ketchup! They were SO good as a side to a veggie burger!

I've heard this is great to do with butternut squash, you just would have to peel them and cut them into little fry sticks.

Last edited by Dorian5; 07-27-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I know this is BAD- but I love fried zuchinni. We slice the zuchinni into thin slices, dip them in milk, roll them in corn meal, and fry them in oil. I'm not sure if what you call summer squash is the same thing, up here where I live (in Alaska) squash and zuchinni are often used interchangeably.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #5  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I tried some of these 20 recipes for zucchini from Kalyn's Kitchen last year (didn't try the chocolate zucchini bread - looks good!)
I am going to try the zucchini bake with feta & thyme today
We have some MONSTERS this year.
mmmm... love fried zucchini!!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

for the zucchini I bought a spiral slicer (like this one) and make spaghetti and fettuccine 'noodles' with it. it's really good with a drizzle of olive oil and a little garlic. regular marinara pasta sauce is good too. it really curbs the pasta craving.

you are lucky to have so much of it!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #7  

I like them sliced lengthwise into large matchsticks and tossed with peaches, onion, lot of lemon juice and a touch of olive oil. Add salt, pepper, fresh herbs to taste. Can sit a few days and is great as a snack sprinkled with feta.

Grated, squeezed and mixed with an egg (or eggbeaters), lots of minced fresh herb like parsley or mint, feta and some greek yogurt to make moist if needed - and cooked like mini fritters in a lightly oiled or sprayed pan. Top with greek yogurt thinned with lemon juice and lots of the same herb you used or a contrasting one.

Roasted with sweet peppers, onion, garlic, potato (plus mushroom or eggplant if you like) and a lean sausage squeezed out in bits from its casing (or you could use something like Soyrizo) - some olive oil to lubricate - hot oven till all soft and happy. Also great topped with the yogurt sauce mentioned above. This keeps well for several days. Good for a lunch at work - nuke a bit and wrap in lettuce leaves for even more veg oomph

Last edited by tommy; 07-27-2011 at 03:05 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 318/288/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian5 View Post
I've heard this is great to do with butternut squash, you just would have to peel them and cut them into little fry sticks.
I just did this recently with butternut squash, and used a salt-free, garlic seasoning. It was delicious! Now I have a spaghetti squash in the fridge, something I've never cooked before... looking forward to trying it.
Katybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 AM   #9  

Well, you're on the right track to old age when you eat a lot of squash.
A neighbor of mine lived to be 99 years old.
Her diet consisted mainly of fish, squash and green beans...and a tumbler of blackberry brandy every afternoon.
She also worked out on her treadmill every day.

She baked her squash. She liked the crook neck and the acorn squash.
But she also grew summer squash.

I don't care for squash, but I eat pepitas...squash seeds, every week.
They give me energy.

JOLINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katybug View Post
I just did this recently with butternut squash, and used a salt-free, garlic seasoning. It was delicious! Now I have a spaghetti squash in the fridge, something I've never cooked before... looking forward to trying it.
Yum, I'm OBSESSED with spaghetti squash! I make it just like spaghetti, with low sugar spaghetti sauce and some turkey meat balls.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Here is a link I saw this morning. Looks reasonable if you can stick to one or two servings....that's the problem. I may have some other recipes at home, I'll look for them.

Makeover Chocolate Zucchini Bread

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/M...?keycode=ZFBHC
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I forgot I had posted this recipe over in the recipes area a while back. It is delicious! It originally called for okra, but I substituted zucchini.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/reci...ble-saute.html
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I make a squash orzo. Super simple, super fast, uses a few big squash and makes a wonderful hot or cold salad for summer. It's also WONDERFUL picnic food, since nothing really goes bad and it can be served any temperature. And everyone loves it!

Half lb orzo (whole wheat if you can find it - note, I normally make a HUGE batch and keep it in the fridge, so I use the full lb package of orzo)

1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 large zucchini, grated, then squeezed of excess water in some paper towels
1 tbsp fresh oregano (or a tsp dried)
Juice of 1 lemon
2-3 oz crumbled feta
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute your onion and garlic in a bit of nonstick spray or olive oil - add the drained zucchini, salt and pepper to taste, and saute until zucchini starts to turn golden. Meanwhile, cook the orzo, drain, and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.

Then just toss your onion/zucchini/garlic with the cooked orzo, oregano, and lemon juice. Adjust seasonings, add crumbled feta, and devour.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #14  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

So I was sitting in the kitchen steaming some young zucchini and thought id browse post.. so funny I cane across this... I love squash. It is yummy and so versatile. For lunch I love a bowl of zucchini steamed or the fries.I also love the sweets but am not going that rout... I can't just have 1 I want a whole batch so I will stick with non. But if yor google squash are super food great for you..... enjoy em...... preferrably only fried in very little breading...lol
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

My zucchini and squash plants are kicking into gear. Last year I harvested 100s of squash. I had to come up with lots of options...

zucchini bread (works with patty pan squash too)
grilled squash
zucchini sauteed with tomatoes
zucchini pancakes
squash casserole
baked zucchini
squash soup

and if you have too much. grate it in 2 cup increments and freeze it. Then use it in the winter in soups, or for zucchini bread...

Gonna try Amanda's orzo recipe... and that spiral slicer is interesting...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote