General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Mio Flavored water enhancer...Is it ok?

Calories-0
Fat-0g
Carbs-0g
Protein-0g
Total Carbs-0g

I am sure that this is ok to use on the MF diet. But does it count as one condement? Or can I add it to all the water that I drink?
agon024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #2  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really trust that it has no calories, no fat, no carbs. Seems suspicious to me. I say that nothing is free (intake wise), except water.

Now that's not to say you can't use it, of course! I'm just voicing my cynicism. =P
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

If it says it on the bottle that there is zero of everything it has to be....companies can get sued big time if they lie about that stuff

i've never had it but i read halle berry drinks it....as do other celebs...so my guess is it is definitely fine! movie stars wouldn't drink it if it wasn't zero cal
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I drink heaps more water with it than without it. I just don't crave water normally but with a little bit of flavor I can't get enough.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellastarr View Post
If it says it on the bottle that there is zero of everything it has to be....companies can get sued big time if they lie about that stuff

i've never had it but i read halle berry drinks it....as do other celebs...so my guess is it is definitely fine! movie stars wouldn't drink it if it wasn't zero cal

I do use Mia, but it's essentially a liquid drink mix, with the same ingredients as Crystal Light and other low-calorie beverages (most do not have exactly zero calories, as I'll explain in a minute). If you're opposed to artificial sweeteners and colors (I'm not), then you'll want to avoid Mia.

But I do want to address the other issues. Yes, they (food makers) really can say a lot of things that aren't true, and they only get in trouble if they get caught (and often it's only a slap on the wrist).

There was a famous breakfast cookie company (loved by celebrities) that made profits for years before independent labs found that the cookie contained nearly twice the calories claimed on the lable (turns out the sample they sent to the lab for testing was significanlty smaller than the ones they made for sale).

Even when manufacturer's follow the rules, the rules aren't zero = zero. The law allows estimation/rounding, so anything with fewer than 5 calories can be called 0 calories.

As an example, non-stick cooking spray such as PAM lists a calorie count of zero (or close) on the label for a 1 to 1.5 second spray, and yet most consumers spray for 5 seconds or more. That means that zero might equal almost 25 calories (and 50 calories if you use a 10 second spray).

Also, movie stars aren't necessarily any better informed on these issues as anyone else, especially when it comes to diet and health. Some are very health conscious and aware, and some are no more aware than anyone else. They often have the same misconceptions about healthy dieting as non-celebs. They can be just as easily misled as any one else.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-31-2011 at 12:26 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 12:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: size 12/size 2-4/size 4

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I do use Mia, but it's essentially a liquid drink mix, with the same ingredients as Crystal Light and other low-calorie beverages (most do not have exactly zero calories, as I'll explain in a minute). If you're opposed to artificial sweeteners and colors (I'm not), then you'll want to avoid Mia.

But I do want to address the other issues. Yes, they (food makers) really can say a lot of things that aren't true, and they only get in trouble if they get caught (and often it's only a slap on the wrist).

There was a famous breakfast cookie company (loved by celebrities) that made profits for years before independent labs found that the cookie contained nearly twice the calories claimed on the lable (turns out the sample they sent to the lab for testing was significanlty smaller than the ones they made for sale).

Even when manufacturer's follow the rules, the rules aren't zero = zero. The law allows estimation/rounding, so anything with fewer than 5 calories can be called 0 calories.

As an example, non-stick cooking spray such as PAM lists a calorie count of zero (or close) on the label for a 1 to 1.5 second spray, and yet most consumers spray for 5 seconds or more. That means that zero might equal almost 25 calories (and 50 calories if you use a 10 second spray).

Also, movie stars aren't necessarily any better informed on these issues as anyone else, especially when it comes to diet and health. Some are very health conscious and aware, and some are no more aware than anyone else. They often have the same misconceptions about healthy dieting as non-celebs. They can be just as easily misled as any one else.
There's a thread on here that discusses this. Apparently, some of the labels on foods list ounces as equal to a certain number of "pieces." However, when you measure the ounces, there are substantially less pieces that make up the portion. This is so bothersome!

Last edited by christine123; 07-31-2011 at 12:44 AM.
christine123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:27 AM   #7  

Sounds like life water, which I love! Does it taste good?
cinthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:52 AM   #8  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

I read somewher... can't seam to find it now, that there is a "error margin" of something like 20% for all product nutrition labels...
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinthia View Post
Sounds like life water, which I love! Does it taste good?
I like the pomegranate berry (the only flavor I've tried so far).

It's a lot pricier than the powdered drink mixes, and probably has more preservatives (in general shelf-stable liquids need more preservatives than shelf-stable powders), but the flavor was good. Lots of coloring though, which surprised me (for all the "healthy" hype I'd heard, I was expecting it to be uncolored, or at least less colored).

I wish it came in more exotic flavors and wasn't so deeply colored (not so much because I'm leery of artificial or natural dyes as because I'm clumsy and tend to spill).

Off topic a bit, but I found some powedered drink mixes (in the single serve packets) at Target. One is Target's "generic" brand and one is their "gourmet" brand. Margherita and apple/pear.

They're both really good (though I use two to three times the water called for, because I like a more dilute flavor).

I used one of the margherita packets and a few packets of Splenda to sweeten a pound of underripe strawberries I bought (when they're ripe I don't usually feel the need to sweeten strawberries).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 287/265/200

Height: 5'5

i really liked mio, Ive had grape and the strawberry something blend. What I did notice is that I wanted to snack more on days i drank it. So I had to put it down and use it once in a while..
Just Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote