Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #1  
Now Or Never

S/C/G: 285/see ticker/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Slim Fast?

Does it work? Anyone have any luck with it?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I tried it- didn't really like it. I'd rather eat real food than drink shakes- after a while I just got sick of them.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Been there, did that - it's all fake sweetener and chemicals - and booorrrrringggg. Ditto beerab - real food is much better for the long haul - taste, variety, satisfying, eye-catching, good-smelling whole foods.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #4  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I use the shakes for breakfast. I do WW at home, and one of the shakes is 3 points. It makes a good breakfast when you're on the go. =D
Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Cheaper to buy some protein powder and make your own shakes in a blender. I usually just mix milk, ice and one scoop post workout. Don't see why you couldn't do that as a meal replacement, especially if you throw in some fruit.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/233.2/145

Height: 5'4

I agree a good heathy breakfast is best but when I was working I didn't have time so I used the vanilla shakes for a fast breakfast and I did lose 76 lbs with a shake for B and a healthy L and D and lots of exercise.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

I did slim fast for about 6 months.. I actually liked it, and ended up losing about 50 lbs. Gained it back as soon as I went off the diet. I also didn't eat much the entire time.. way less than what they recommended. So I don't know that it was a good deal for me. I'd say it just depends on the person.. just know that you've gotta watch out or the weight will alllll come back :/!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

I remember my mom, years ago, loved Slim Fast. *shudders* I still remember the powdery shakes. The smell lol. I'm sure it has improved since then lol.

The thing is my mom did Slim Fast, never exercised, and she would regain all her weight. Over and over again. The one thing I remember vividly was her drinking the strawberry flavor and it looked like...powdery milky ew. lol.

I'm sure now it tastes better and I believe they have those cans or whatever you can get. I guess for me, I just do a smoothie, but I could see if I were on the go an didn't have time that something like that would be ideal.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #9  

I love it - I find that it satisfys my choclate cravings (I only like the Chocolate Royale flavour) as well which is a bonus. I have them for lunch with a salad (and regular snacks throughout the day) and have "real" food for breakfast and dinner.

That said - I get mine in Canada where the recipe is different - it's 256 calories. I was recently in the States where I saw that they were only 190 Calories so decided to give them a try - I did not like the flavour AT all. Could barely stomach it. I also tried the Kellogs shakes (170 Calories) and the Target generic brand shake (also 170 Calories) and found both to be better but of the 3 the kellogs was my favourite.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well it would work if one could/would stick with it. But realistically, how long could someone stick to this for? And if they stay on it long enough to get to goal, well then what? What have they learned that's going to ensure that they KEEP the weight off?

I personally like to chew my calories, not drink them. I also need high volume foods. So for me I wouldn't be WILLING (or able?) to stick with this method.

I chose/choose to count calories. Combining that counting with eating voluminous, highly nutritious SATIATING foods. I was willing to stick with this, for over 3 years in fact (& plan to forever and ever) and it's been"working" just fine.

Using it as an occasional meal replacement for a quick meal (like's been mentioned) is another story, I suppose.

We're all different though.....
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #11  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

I love slim fast been drinking it on and off for 6 years. I only like the powder french vanilla flavor. The already made stuff in a can is grosse!! But it is good!!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I don't really like the shakes, but I do like the chocolate chip meal replacement bars by Slimfast. I keep one in my purse in case I ever get stuck and need a meal on the go. Usually it's lunchtime when I'm out and about and can't sit down for a meal, so I keep one around just in case.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I like the cappuccino flavor, yum. The only thing is they just aren't satisfying, and I end up using them as a snack when I probably should just drink water, and eat some healthy food, I did at one time lose 15 pounds on the diet, but I was much younger and if I remember correctly I got nauseous, and eventually gained it back, so I would say have a shake and supplement it with something,
And I would do that for maybe one meal, if you do both breakfast and lunch, you are going to be starving!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #14  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

It is not a good idea to be on the slim fast plan. Even if it works, you will gain it all back. Any doctor you ask will tell you it's not healthy. Real food is healthier and more likely to give you long term results.

That said, I do use them sometimes as a way of getting in some extra calories on days I have not had enough, but am stuffed. Liquid is easier to get down. I also occasionally use them as a smoothie base. I also see nothing wrong with using them as an occasional meal replacement. I have not needed to since I have been working on my weight, but if for some reason I did need to I would have no issues with it.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #15  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I love Slimfast for breakfast! It's quick, easy and tasty. I am sometimes not very hungry for breakfast but know I need something in my tummy. I never have it for any other meal though, it would not be enough. I need real food for lunch, dinner and snacks.
Closed Thread