Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/223/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Well crap. I guess that seals the deal....

I had done so much beetter when I started earlier this summer, and then I hurt an ankle and haven't gone to the gym/ran in over a month. I'm finally better and was told I could run again. In the same dr appt they did blood work.

and I've got some issues. High triglycerides and low good cholersterol. I knew it was coming, but boogers.

This weekend I'm saying goodbye to sugar in my tea, chickfila runs once a week, salt and butter, and *sobs* bread and pasta.

I'm going to the store tomorrow and buying a bunch of different fruits to taste test.

I suppose it comes at a good time, since I've also got a good friend getting married in a year (she told me last week) and I do not want to be this heavy at her wedding. For once, it would be nice not to be the fat friend.

Sorry. Just wanted to vent. I knew the blood work thing was coming......
eyre13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 PM   #3  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

Height: 5'5"

Heavy news. So sorry to hear it.

Your post sounds so sad, though. Really - eating in ways that enhance your health is not painful. It's just different. And challenging. And amazing.

I LOVE raspberries and strawberries and kiwis and blueberries and honey crisp apples and pears and... Fruit is so much tastier than so much of the garbage I used to eat every day.

And you don't have to limit it to fruit, of course. And you don't have to eliminate your favorite foods - just modify them or have them in moderation. A teaspoon of sugar in hot tea will not prevent weight loss (at least not in itself - some people find it a trigger food). A cup of sugar in 44 ounces of iced tea may prove a bigger obstacle.

I remember reading a book (Toni Morrison, I believe, but I don't remember which book) where the child cried when she was given raspberry jam because it was way too sweet. She was used to eating the whole raspberry. I try to remind myself that I don't love fast food (it's really kind of gross if I haven't had it for a while) - I love the comfort and convenience and the familiarity.

You totally have this! I love that you're experimenting and finding what you love. It's an amazing first step to a wonderful journey.
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 179/170/140

Height: 5'5

Ugh, I'm afraid of a doctors visit for this reason.
I feel for you mama, n I wish you the best!
ChubbyCheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I agree with what Sophronia had to say. Please don't be so down. Many times even a small weight loss will show improvement in the areas where you need improvement, so know that you can improve your health rather quickly by losing some weight.

Cutting bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes from your diet will do wonders in curbing cravings for carbs and for sweets, so try that and see if the weight loss doesn't follow. Save fast food for once a month and try all the great fruits and veggies that are available in summer. You can lose the 100 pounds you want to lose in a year. And, in that year, you will slowly change the way you eat and begin a new type of eating.

Good Luck - Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #6  

Thanks ladies....I really appreciate the encouragement. I guess I just thought I was ok healthwise, and just needed the weight loss. But I'm trying to be more positive!

again, thanks for the kind words. I'm getting there. And I'm determined to lose the extra pounds!

Went and bought some fruit today, so we'll see what tastes good.....
Old 07-31-2011, 07:18 PM   #7  
GettingHealthier

So how did the fruit taste test go? I'm interested in learning what you love!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #8  
Closet skinny chick! :)

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

Icky, blood work. I have such a needle phobia it's almost laughable. I'm sorry the results weren't quite what you were expecting.. it's a nice springboard to continue and refine your weight-loss goals though! Plus with the wedding as a goal date, that's something tangible to work towards.

Mmm, fruit! I'm with Sophronia, once I've purged my system of fake sugar and all the nasties from fast food and the like, I find that I start *craving* fruit. I LOVE oranges, pineapple (have you tried grilling it and eating it warm? OMG.), pears, apples, plums... right now my OBSESSION is cherries. I could literally sit down and eat 3lbs by myself if allowed LOL. The nice part is 3 cups of cherries - easily enough to fill you up equivalent to a full meal - is under 300 calories, and incredibly satisfying.

I'm hoping I can get cherries cheap when they start to go out of season, I've heard freezing them works well too!
Chantelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM   #9  

Well, I bought the fruit. Decided that Cherries aren't too bad (though I'm working past the texture of it a little - I"m weird that way) strawberries are ok. I already know I like bananas, blueberries are NOT for me, and I've got nectarines and a plucot to try tomorrow. I want to find a dragonfruit to try just because it looks cool. Apples are a no - but I don't even like apple juice, so that one was not a surprise. So are pineapples. Really tart things aren't for me.

I'm open to suggestions if you've got any! and again, thanks for the encouragement!

Now I just have to get through to my roommate that she needs to leave my lunch alone (I cook everything else, she used to make me lunch.... cause I'd forget other wise.) Her metabolism and mine aren't even CLOSE to the same. I talked to her on the phone and explained that I would do it all myself and I was giving up some things I used to take (animal crackers and such) and she kept pushing it.... "if you only eat a little, it'll be fine!" But I know carbs of any kind will throw me off like woah. Hopefully she got the message. We'll see.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #10  
Closet skinny chick! :)

S/C/G: 238/ticker/150

Height: 5'3"

If you're not fond of blueberries and still kinda-working on cherries, I would be a little wary of the dragonfruit - they're sweet and absolutely delicious cold, but the myriad of little seeds combined with the sometimes slightly slimy (I hate that word in relation to food, but it's the best-fitting here) texture might bother you a little.

How about grapes (delicious frozen as well - great summer snack), apricots and peaches? Pluots are yummy but given that they're a hybrid (plum/apricot) they're a little overpriced for me - plums kinda hit the spot and taste almost exactly the same to my tongue. Mangoes and papayas if you want to venture into the tropical fruit range are good too.
Chantelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #11  
GettingHealthier

You know what? Not everyone loves fruit. I'm glad you're continuing trying. I find it interesting that my favorites don't seem to impress you too much, while I think bananas are quite possibly the most disgusting food ever produced in nature.

If your tastes run more towards the savory, maybe you'll absolutely love veggies. Maybe a good vegetable soup with leeks, onions, carrots, celery, squash, spinach.. whatever.

The thing is, most of us can hold our noses and eat things we don't really like for a week or two. I don't think many can do it for the rest of our lives. I just hope you continue your quest for the things you can really enjoy. There was a thread a while back about foods people were surprised to find themselves enjoying so much.

In the meantime, what about pomegranites? Those are superb. Or kiwi? (Or perhaps I should recommend things that are not my favorites - as our tastes seem to differ.)

Yay for you for communicating to your well-meaning roommate. And for continuing your quest for delicious, nutritious foods that are perfect for you.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #12  

Sophronia - I appreciate the suggestions - good or bad. I figure if I'm going to eat it, I need to like it. If I know I won't be able to eat it permanently, it just doesn't seem to make much sense, you know?
I'm actually pretty good with veggies. Its the fruit I don't eat much of. Pomegranites aren't bad. NEver tried kiwi. I'll add it to the list.

Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 8"

"High triglycerides and low good cholersterol" this was me to a T at 237. The good news is that 2 weeks ago I was retested and my Dr. was seriously impressed with the results. I do not recall all of the numbers, but my overall cholesterol had dropped by about 100. This was done with CCing and jogging.
envelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #14  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Starfruit are pretty benign. Dragonfruit taste like a very light melon to me. I use them to make sherbet since I find them underwhelming alone.

What about the melon family? Like watermelon. YUM.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 256/204/130

Clementines. Get Clementines. They're little oranges. They are tiny, sweet and easy to peel.

So there with you on the texture thing!
Curvaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote