Old 07-28-2011, 03:49 AM   #1  
One step at a time

Location: The land of Spare Room in the City of Wardrobe..-C.S. Lewis

Question Kolrahbi fries and a few questions??

Okay, so today i went to the store, got my kholrabi and made french fries out of them. I swigged a bit of olive oil on and some seasoning and stuck em in and they came out great..tasted pretty darn close to a french fry and even had the texture and look of one.. So i get brownie points for trying a new veggie ive never eaten before..

HOWEVER!!!

I just about died when i went online to find out the carb content..The total carb content for 1 cup of Kholrabi is 12 carbs..for 1 cup!!! and im thinkin to myself..Oh my gosh! Its like i just ate another restricted!! Did i blow it???

So here are my questions:

How is kholrabi allowed if its so high in carb count?
How do you only use 2 tsp of olive oil..because i had to use more olive oil then that to coat them..
Do you use this as a restricted veg? or a daily veg?
Jasesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 172/163/145

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasesgirl View Post
Okay, so today i went to the store, got my kholrabi and made french fries out of them. I swigged a bit of olive oil on and some seasoning and stuck em in and they came out great..tasted pretty darn close to a french fry and even had the texture and look of one.. So i get brownie points for trying a new veggie ive never eaten before..

HOWEVER!!!

I just about died when i went online to find out the carb content..The total carb content for 1 cup of Kholrabi is 12 carbs..for 1 cup!!! and im thinkin to myself..Oh my gosh! Its like i just ate another restricted!! Did i blow it???

So here are my questions:

How is kholrabi allowed if its so high in carb count?
How do you only use 2 tsp of olive oil..because i had to use more olive oil then that to coat them..
Do you use this as a restricted veg? or a daily veg?
Great questions, I will look for replies, have not made these yet...you could also call/ask your coach.
JoseyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 211/179/141

Height: 5'4"

I use low sodium chicken broth with EVOO to coat veggies.
petie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #4  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

because they are moist enough I don't use evoo on them but pam spray the cookie sheet... sorry didn't know how high in carbs they are but they are about the same as cauliflower and broccoli as well. Will have to rethink the use of them, I usually only have them once a week. Thanks.
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #5  
One step at a time

hmmm...i wonder how much fibre is in it..cause 12 is the total carb not the net carb..and someone just told me that net carb is what we go by...so maybe its lower??
Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 PM   #6  
IP Reboot 4/08/17

S/C/G: 258/169/145

Height: 5'7

there are 5g of dietary fiber in 1 cup of Kohlrabi (one of my favorites!), so net carbs would be around 7, which really isn't that high... although, that doesn't seem quite right. seems like is should be lower, but i wouldn't worry about it because it is a select vegetable, so it might break down in a different way in your body.
longdivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Fitday says there are only 8 carbs and 36 calories in a cup of raw kohlrabi and 5 grams of fiber. I'm not on IP but they sound good to me.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/170/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Fitday says there are only 8 carbs and 36 calories in a cup of raw kohlrabi and 5 grams of fiber. I'm not on IP but they sound good to me.
These are about the same numbers I found too. They are very similar to turnips as far as nutrition info goes it looks like. I think they are fine. Besides, they are on the list... I wouldn't worry too much about numbers if you are following the program exactly.
Princess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #9  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by longdivision View Post
there are 5g of dietary fiber in 1 cup of Kohlrabi (one of my favorites!), so net carbs would be around 7, which really isn't that high... although, that doesn't seem quite right. seems like is should be lower, but i wouldn't worry about it because it is a select vegetable, so it might break down in a different way in your body.
Thanks Laura, as I love kohlrabi, and I have been bragging on how good the fries are... I thought it was real high after the first post and went to fitnesspal.. This is great... thanks.... I can have fries again and love it.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #10  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Wow you have all sparked my interest, I have NO idea what this veggie is. What does it look like, and how do I pronounce it? I'm going to look up how to make them, it is looking like a helpful treat.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #11  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
because they are moist enough I don't use evoo on them but pam spray the cookie sheet... sorry didn't know how high in carbs they are but they are about the same as cauliflower and broccoli as well. Will have to rethink the use of them, I usually only have them once a week. Thanks.
I've looked and searched the recipe threads, but I can't find one for the fries. Could someone tell me how to make them?
Really cute dog, btw 2rider!!
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

I would like this recipe too!!!!!
wildflower613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #13  
start IP Feb 8 2011

okay so kohlrabi (pronounced coal rabi) I had never heard of it before and so I googled it... said the taste was between a potato and a cabbage... so I thought got to try it. It is a ugly vegetable... round green with little pointy bumps sticking out. I peel them and then slice them like you would fries, I then put bbq spice (smoked paprika, chili powder, a little splenda mixed together) over them and mix it up so they are all coated. I then spray evoo pam on my cookie sheet. Bake the same way you would the turnip fries. I usually roast at 425 for about 30 -45 minutes. I also turn them over at the 1/2 way point. If they are not crispy by 45 min. I would broil them a little. I find it is the closest thing I have found to potatoe fries. I am thinking this might make a nice mashed veggie too... something I will try next. If you don't like bbq spice just put whatever spice you like on it. Hope you like them.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 182.6/142.8/135

Height: 5.3

Haven't done these yet but for those that do...do you think that these would work to make hashbrowns as well? That just seems like it would be so yummy if it worked. I cannot find any Kohlrabi at our local grocery stores. Going to go the the Farmer's Market on Thursday hopefully have some luck finding some there.
wildflower613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:03 AM   #15  
One step at a time

They could make good hash..but you would have to seriously grate or slice it...it can be tough to slice through at first.