Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Biotin . . .

I've been doing some research and I think this is something to give a go with the thin hair, brittle nails etc . . . but where do I find it?
Seriously, am I blind and missing it at EVERY shop I go into? Is it in a multivitamin and im not seeing it on the ingredients?
Any help from those who take biotin would be appreciated, and being a dumb moment for me . . . . names of product would be appreciated, thanks
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #2  
Happy Member

I use biotin for my hair and nail health. It is one of the B vitamins, and can be found in any store such as Walmart, Walgreens, etc. Just wander through the vitamin aisle and it will be there along with all the other vitamins. It is a separate bottle, though.

The brand I am using currently is Spring Valley, but there are other brands.

Hope this is helpful.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #3  
Results>Reasons

S/C/G: 196/190/150

Height: 5'9"

I remember a hair stylist told me about this vitamin. So I bought two bottles, took maybe 5 pills out of one, and haven't used it since. Not that it doesn't work, but I'm a horrible pill popper. I found it at Walgreens. If I do ever find those bottles (I think they're in storage) I'll be happy to send them your way.
AriesNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I got mine at Wal-mart too, after hearing rave reviews. There are a couple different strengths, so I got one in the mid range. I took it for about a month, didn't notice anything, so I quit... then about a month later I noticed I was getting all kinds of new little hairs on my head. I was thrilled, but still didn't start taking it again. I don't know, I wasn't connecting the 2...that it might take some time to work. Anyway, I still haven't started taking it again , and it seems the new growth has appeared to have stopped, so I need to start taking it again. But like Aries I am so darn bad about taking pills faithfully. Must go do that right now!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 06-23-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #5  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Awesome, thanks for the info ladies!!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Is anyone using biotin for seborrhoeic dermatitis/eczema? If so, what dose are you taking and how did it work out for you?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #7  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Biotin is AWESOME, for hair, skin & nails! My hair was always brittle & I was losing a ton of hairs in the shower daily. I buy biotin at walmart its in the vitamin section by other vitamins that start with the letter B, they place vitamins in alphabetical order & they are a cheap under $3 & take it daily. It takes about 3 months to notice results, but my nails are longer and harder and my hair is super healthy & thicker & I only lose a few hairs in the shower & my skin looks nicer too! yeah biotin works wonders, I have been taking it
daily for 5 years! .
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #8  

Nice to hear it worked well for you, what dose were you taking? Dosages vary enormously with this, and a lot of people report cystic acne as a side effect which I'm concerned about. I'm not really bothered about what it does to my hair and nails, I'm interested in it purely as a treatment for seborrhoeic eczema.

Unfortunately it's not particularly cheap in the UK, where supplements are generally a lot more pricey and there are fewer brands.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #9  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

The tiny pill I take is 1000 mcg, can you shop online?
Here is what I use..
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Val...50-ct/10324942
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #10  

That is quite ludicrously cheap. I'm in the middle of adding new supplements at the moment so I'm not going to be playing with biotin until they settle down, but I'll bookmark that for later. I couldn't find out whether Walmart delivers internationally.

What exactly happened to your skin? What was your skin like before? I gather that biotin increases sebum production, and I presume that's what's behind the cystic acne so many people report.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #11  

I've had huge success taking Biotin. I have PCOS & Hypothyroidism. My hair was so thin, and you could see some male pattern balding at the top of my hair.. it was so embarrassing. Anyway a friend of mind recommended Biotin and I started taking it a year ago and now I have a full head of hair! I don't have to worry about the spot anymore.
losingElly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingElly View Post
I've had huge success taking Biotin. I have PCOS & Hypothyroidism. My hair was so thin, and you could see some male pattern balding at the top of my hair.. it was so embarrassing. Anyway a friend of mind recommended Biotin and I started taking it a year ago and now I have a full head of hair! I don't have to worry about the spot anymore.
This sounds like my hair! I think I'll have to give this a try! I also recall a hairdresser I once worked with telling me that I could take a prenatal vitamin too, but I wasn't sure I wanted to do that. Anyone heard of that?
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #13  

Biotin is the main hair-related vitamin that you get in large quantities in prenatal vitamins, as far as I know.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #14  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I get mine at Target for around $6.

Last edited by 4star; 07-20-2011 at 07:48 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #15  

To people who have used biotin and found that it affected their skin (not interested in hair or nails) in a noticeable way, how long did it take for it to be noticeable? I'm starting at 300mcg and planning to raise it gradually (really don't want cystic acne, or to end up taking a larger dose than needed), but I don't know how long to stay on each dose before raising it. Two weeks?