Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 08:28 PM   #1  
Michigan Old-Timer

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again....#348

God Bless America!

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

WELCOME
Old 06-12-2003, 08:46 PM   #2  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hello again. Saw the thread needed changing so thought I'd step in and do it. I won't tell you how far back I had to go to copy/paste again.

Somebody asked about shorts/swimsuits. NO, absolutely NOT!!! My thighs are as big as a house. I did find some denim leggings type capris last summer and did wear those to a picnic. And I do have a couple pair of shorts that I will don while in the house. But I do not wear them even out to get the mail!!

I have a question for any of my medical lovelies: What do you know about Insulin Resistance and the drug Glucophage???? My doc said my sugar was up a bit in the last two blood workups. She mentioned that she thought I might be Insulin Resistant. She said she wanted to put me on Glucophage. She said that it was not something I would necessarily have to take forever, that with diet and exercise I may be able to quit at some point.

I am a bit miffed because when I saw the eye doctor, he said "being diabetic, you really should have your eyes examined once a year to make sure that your retinas are not being affected by the diabetes."

Then I saw my GYN on Tuesday and of course I took her my blood reports and what drugs I'm taking and she mentions, "with your diabetes.....".

Now the first doc who did the blood work and put me on the stuff, never said I was diabetic, she said Insulin Resistant. Are they one in the same? Do I have to watch out for the same things diabetics have to watch for? Do my kids now have to say their mother is diabetic when they fill out a medical history sheet? She never mentioned cutting down on sugars or carbs.

I know I have to place a call to her and ask these same questions, but I thought I would pose it here too. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Deb: Glad you found us. I'll be waiting for that recipe. I've been using the microwave popcorn, but if I can use up the bag of regular stuff I have in the pantry that will be a real plus.

Barb: I'm glad about your eyes. That's a real plus. * At first I thought my son would be embarassed that his mommy was sending stuff, but the guys really thought it was cool and even let him out of 'dish duty' or some other chore when my box comes in. So I guess it's all good!

Kat: Glad somebody else gets Bi^c%y in the heat too. But the AC already??? We haven't had a hot day here yet. Not that I'm rushing it, mind you.

Sandy: "The best"???? Oh you make us blush!:;

Connie: Now I'm told "thinking about it" doesn't count! :sarg: You have to actually get on the bike!!!!

Tina: Ummmm, ummmm, girlfriend! That man of yours looks pretty yummy all dressed up. Better keep an eye on that one!!!!

Well girls, I'm truly not ignoring everyone else. I just have to start getting it back together here somewhere, and this is where I'm starting. Sorry to have missed some of you, but I am trying.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:28 PM   #3  

Default Glucophage and insulin resistance

Hi Thin, I just read your post and will try to help with your questions.

I just started taking Glucophage in March of this year. As I understand it, Glucophage stops your pancreas from releasing more insulin (your body already makes its own insulin). Your cells use insulin and turn it to glucose. Insulin resistance is when your cells will not accept the insulin, so the insulin has nowhere to go and your body just stores it up. The cells have "doors" that the insulin enters through and you have insulin resistance when the "doors" won't open to let the insulin in. My doctor told me that the Glucophage will curb your appetite and it has curbed mine. Sometimes I have to remind myself to eat. You will also go the bathroom a lot when you first start on it, so you might want to stock up on reading material in the bathrooom if u know what I mean. Has your doctor done a HGB A1C blood test, or did you just have a blood sugar test? My doctor had me do a "challenge diet" where I had to eat a high carb meal and then go in 1-2 hours later and have my blood sugar checked. The HGB A1C test is an average of the your blood sugar over the past three months. My next appointment I have to have a fasting blood sugar (nothing to eat after midnight). Did you have one of those? I checked a lot of this stuff out on the net, just type in "diabetes" and go from there.

I take two Glucophage at night and check my blood sugars twice a day and various times. I went to a diabetic educator; she told me to have no more that 4 carb exchanges at each meal (about 60grams total, one carb = 15g) and two carbs for a snack (30g), so I figured that out to be about 210g of carbs a day.

I hope this helped you. Maybe you can talk to your doctor again and he/she can do some more testing. Gotta go.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:01 PM   #4  

Thin - check Discovery.com for info on diabetes.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:58 AM   #5  

Thin, I know we have talked about the diabetic thing before. At my last dr. visit my new doctor did the test that Connie was talking about Ummmm.....HGB A1C, and thats what she said to me about it looking at the past 3 months versus the 1 night of fasting. She told me that it is a more accurate test to look at to truely call someone diabetic. Luckily my numbers came back the best they have in like 3 years. So, maybe that test is something you should have? (just another blood test) And, I thought it was the doctors job to inform you well of all your stuff!! She/he should never have let you leave that office without telling you the side effects, the diagnosis, if you should list that as you history now. I think maybe it is worth a call, and don't let them charge you for going in since they didn't do their job the first time. Hope all works out for you.

Connie: What good advice you had for thin.....hope all is goine well with you.

Tina: WHERE ARE YOU?????

Okay, I will check back later, right now I am off to get these 2 munchkins of mine off to school, they have a whole day of school today and 1/2 on Monday and then summer vacation.

Tootles,
Sandy
Old 06-13-2003, 07:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

I'm hopelessly behind. Maybe I will print the last thread today and write up a nice big post tomorrow morning.

The week is going well with food. We could have done better on the veggies but we're in a good maintenance mode while its not a losing mode its better than a gain! That and I haven't had time for enough exercise at night.

Last night I was supposed to have my nails done - a fill on the sculptured nails. I got there and all the gal's stuff was gone. She has supposedly had some sort of surgery and will be back maybe sometime if she gets her personal stuff worked out. I was irritated because no one called and there were no other nail techs around (at 5:00 no less) to fix my broken nails. So I came home and cut them all off. I figure I don't really need to be spending the money. I really don't do well at having to start over with new people unless I know someone who is satisfied. Must have just been a grouchy day yesterday.

I just wanted to chime in about the insulin resistant and diabetes. Thin - most definitely call the doctor today. You need to know a better explanation of what is going on and what you should be doing. My mom is diabetic and so is DH. I've been to the dietician with DH and was surprised about the eating plans. If indeed it is diabetes, then a well-balanced WW plan is very good for diabetics. Its about controlling the carbs more so than the sweets. I also encourage this because I believe that DH was not diagnosed soon enough and he was going to regular doctor appointments. I don't necessarily trust the blood sugar test in itself as enough evidence to diagnose or not. I think the 3 month test is best. I know I'm not a doc but DH has suffered permanent damage to his legs and feet because he has diabetic neuropathy and as a result foot drop both caused by uncontrolled high sugar. And because of that - its made a big impact on his ability to work, do things around the house and his ego. I encourage you to get back there and make her talk to you.

Hello to everyone else - newbies, returnees, and absentees! I'll catch up this weekend.

I better get ready for work. Have a great OP day!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:32 AM   #7  
a work in progress...

Thin...

Insulin resistant doesn't necessarily mean that you are diabetic, but left untreated, it can develop into diabetes. Your body is not metabolizing sugar properly, so it's left in your system, which can cause diabetes. Definitely talk to your doctor and get some straight answers. Sometimes, (very often) they are in such a hurry, they don't take the time necessary to fully explain things. Pin her down! You want the facts, ma'am...just the facts!

Okay...gotta run, I need to feed the boy.

See you all later

Old 06-13-2003, 09:18 AM   #8  
BELIEVE!

Good Morning Gals!

Connie - Thin is right, you have to get on the bike for it to count. But, you did one lap around the parking lot - that is much better than no laps.

Thin - I don't know anything about the insulin resistance, but it sounds like you have gotten a lot of good info from the other ladies. Hopefully you can get a hold of your Doc today to get all the answers.

Kat, Sandy, Terri -- Hey Chickees - Glad to she you popping in! Where is everyone else?

Today was my day to hop on the scale. I am down 1.2 pounds for the week. Not a big loss, but I'll take it --- especially considering I had my B-day and TOM is in town.

Gotta get started on work!
Talk to ya later!
Barb
Old 06-13-2003, 09:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 332.4/228.4/175

Height: 5'11"

Hey ladies. Sorry to have been MIA as of late, but things have been hectic. Seems to be settling down now. Food and water haven't been so good and I haven't been exercising as often as I'd like, but that is changing. Luckily, I haven't gained anything back. Still holding at 264 for now. I have another 2 weeks or so til I get weighed and measured again, so I'm going to work real hard to get back on track and show some kind of loss. Again, I want to thank you all for the prayers for my nephew. He is doing good. It's amazing how resiliant kids are. He may have lost his arm, but he is already talking about playing baseball again. He is a very strong kid. I can't even begin to reply to everyone, but I did want to welcome all the newbies. This is a wonderful group. Well, I need to get some things done around here, so I'll talk to you all later.
Steph
Old 06-13-2003, 09:46 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Talking Hi Ladies

Sorry it has been a few days since I posted. Things have been going well. I have managed to stick to my new schedule fairly well. Still battling my daughter a bit, but she is adjusting too. I have walked everyday since I started except Wednesday. Wednesday I just had an off day. It is a little chilly out this morning, but I'm getting ready to get my butt out there and do some walking again. I can't wait until I weigh in next Tuesday to see how I'm doing. For all those who don't have a scale that will weigh them-I've seen it come up a few times lately, I have a scale that goes up to 400lbs. I bought it through drugstore.com

I also have two classes I'm trying to catch up in. Long story, but I wasn't planning on taking them and now I am but I'm a bit behind. It is part of why Wednesday was an off day. Also looks like we will be moving to a new place. Here in town we found a mobile home that is $5000. We can pay the owner $200 a month and space rent is $150. That is about what we pay now and we don't own this place. It is a little smaller than ideal, but has a huge fenced yard and a lot of potential. I think it will be very good for us. Plus as soon as we can just pay it off we will only have space rent to worry about. That will be a lot better. I think we will try to move at the end of July. I'm going to start packing right away. Thank God we are moving in yard sale season since I will need to get rid of some furniture. This way I can sell the stuff I need to get rid of and buy some stuff I need.

Okay well I've got to get going ladies. Want to get my walk in before I need to cook hubby's breakfast. He is calling me his new wife, he was so shocked when I woke him up on Tuesday and told him breakfast was ready that he kept asking me what I did with his old wife.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:47 PM   #11  

THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY

I stopped by the library to get in a quick post; I actually walked around town today and got my errands done! Now, to get home and get on that bike (I'll try Thin, I promise).

Thin - please call your doc; you paid for your time and he/she should have spent more time discussing the insulin resistance with you. I think more intensive testing should be done to get a definitive diagnosis. But now you know the potential is there, so take my advice and start now. It could be that you had too many carbs and/or sweets before you had the test - was your blood tested after you had eaten? You should really have a fasting blood sugar run.

Steph, I'm glad to hear your nephew is doing better; children bounce back from things better that we do; I would be having a major pity party right now. Sometimes I think they are more mature that we are.

Barb - congrats with the weight loss , esp after b-day and TOM. Way to go!!

Sandy, I'm sorry I missed you in chat the other night; I was trying to get in there, but one of the doctors was at the fax machine right behind my work station for forever.

Mary - I went to WM but they were out of WATP #1; they did have the 4-mile video; and they had a spot on the shelf for the 3 pack with a walking belt. I should call them and see if there are anymore in stock. Thanks for the info.

Hi Terri - man I would have been so p------d off. I just hate when someone can't make a simple phone call.

Hope everyone has a good day; my computer time here is about up. Talk to you all later.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:56 PM   #12  

Default WATP VIDEO

I just went to one of the shopping channel sites and found the WATP for Abs set - it had a walking belt with it. Is this the video that you all have mary and thin. I really would rather have the 15min tape first. I just hate to get the set and then never use them. I'll keep looking.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:29 PM   #13  

Survived yet another storm, even if it did scare the out of me last night--not to mention the poor cats. There was even a funnel cloud spotted north of Pittsburgh.

Food has been great and so has exercise, despite the last day or so of not being able to go out an walk (stupid rain )--I did 30-45 minute general workouts instead.

Provided there are no weather delays or any other freaky things happening tonight (being Friday the 13th and all), Brian is due to arrive at 6:14PM my time in Pittsburgh. Meanwhile, I made sure the cat box was clean and my laundry was done so at least I'd have some clean clothes for the weekend and the furboys wouldn't be smelly cats !
Old 06-13-2003, 01:59 PM   #14  
BELIEVE!

TGIF

Hi Gals - I hope you are all having a great afternoon. I am just finishing up my lunch break. I went and tanned (gotta get sun somehow) and picked up a salad at Wendy's. I tried the new Southwest Chix Caesar - it was pretty good - has a little spicy kick to it. I only used 1/2 the dressing because the entire packet has 230 calories. Their website doesn't list the nutrition of the salad itself, so I guessed a bit. I am hoping to talk Jeff into going to the mall tonight to walk a bit. I just want to get out and wander around maybe do a little shopping. We've got to buy a gift for a baptism party on Sunday.

Steph - Good to hear from you and glad to hear that your nephew has such strong spirits. I think it's great that you have been able to maintain the past few weeks with everything that's been going on.

Amanda - Did you get your walk in this morning? Sounds like you are going to have your hands full with classes and moving and whatnot. You'll be too busy to think about eating.

Connie - Have you tried Ebay for the tapes? You can pretty much find anything there.

Lori - The big day! I bet you are so excited to see Brian tonight! Have a wonderful time and fill us in when you have time.

Gotta get back to work - I'm in the midst of some pain in the a$$ spreadsheets for my boss!

See ya later!
Barb
Old 06-13-2003, 04:10 PM   #15  

Connie: I have the #3 tape of WATP video, and if you watch it, they have a meter that shows when you hit 1 mile, 1 1/2 mile etc. So you can actually buy the one that has the most miles and do only what you want....just a hint...LOL
Closed Thread