Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 128/124/115

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Losing Fat in Isolated Places

I am one of those strange body types that doesn't have a lot of fat on my stomach; rather, I gain it all in my arms, legs, and butt (some does go on my stomach, but not much). ... Which makes it incredibly hard to hide my weight with clothing when I gain!

When I lose weight, that is also where I seem to lose it first (stomach) -- or at least most noticeably. I almost have abs, but have jiggly arm fat and thick thighs.

Does anyone lose weight in strange patterns like this? I can't wait to see some definition in my arms/legs.

laurielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #2  

Also - just wanted to add... That may have been a poorly selected title because I know I'm not ACTUALLY losing weight in isolated places, it just appears so (because I had less fat on my stomach to begin with, so that is the only area on my body that looks toned right now).
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #3  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Well i must say you don't look fat to me, you look healthy, if you want more definition perhaps some light weights would help.

Seriously you look good the way you are.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #4  

Thank you! I don't think I am fat by any means, I am just trying to lose a few more until I can see definition in my arms and legs (right now I am 124 and I'd like to get down to 115 but I think I may aim for around 118). I can grab a handful of fat off the back of my arms and I have this lump of fat on the inside of my legs I've been dying to get rid of. My goal is to get super toned, not necessarily super skinny, and this layer of fat has to go!

I have been lifting weights and I actually have some serious biceps going on when I flex, but I guess they are just covered by fat still. So, at this point I'm doing cardio every day and weights 4x per week and trying to drink plenty of protein so I don't lose muscle. And I'm also trying not to inhale candy bars or coke floats... My weakness.

Last edited by laurielou; 07-26-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I agree with Resolute. You look like you're in great shape! I really think we are our own worst critics, but I have nothing to gain by lying to you and telling you that you look great if you don't. But, according to you photo, you look fantastic. Just my honest opinion.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #6  

Thank you so much. I don't want to turn into a stick, but I would love to have Jennifer Aniston arms. I think I just need to lose a few more pounds to really see the muscle definition. By the end of August, I WILL HAVE JENNIFER ANISTON ARMS!!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

Height: 5'6

You DO NOT have thick legs! Id kill for legs like those!
If you want more toned arms Id suggest lots of pushups and arm work with special attention paid to exercises that work the back of the arms! Goodluck!
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 148/122/119

Height: 5'7.5"

Your arms would probably benefit from pilates and ballet. My arms used to be the flabbiest part if my body. I lifted weights and built muscle and they did become less flabby but they only became thin with long muscles when I cut back on the weights and switched to pilates. I still have a fat lump on my inner thighs though. I've been somewhat lazy with the leg exercises but I have a feeling that the only way to really get rid of it is to cut weight.
Jubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Wow we have almost identical bodies. I have the exact same issue with my body. I could have written this post ! lol I think weights are the best idea!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #10  

Height: 5'0"

I'd kill for your body. Seriously.

You look great, sweetie.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #11  

Thanks guys! I have been wanting to try Pilates for quite some time now. My sister is really into it, so perhaps I'll join her soon and give it a try.

I really think that if I lose around 5-10 more pounds my arms will look much thinner. For some reason that is the LAST place I see results. Even at my lowest weight ever as an adult (118 lbs in 2009 -- see pic below), my arms were still larger than what I thought they should be compared with the rest of my body. Every other part of me was pretty toned and I still had some arm flab.

I'm worried that the rest of me is going to look skeletal by the time my arms finally shrink. Like I said, that pic above is me at 118 and I was happy with my weight (although I did have some arm flab still). I am afraid I really am going to have to get down to like 115 lbs to see it disappear.

Last edited by laurielou; 07-27-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

Getting down to 115 lbs would make you very close to underweight on the BMI scale, and might end up being too frustrating for you to maintain long-term. You should focus on decreasing your body fat percentage with Pilates and weight training instead while retaining so you get that truly lean look. Your weight may stay the same, but the visual difference will be very striking.

Last edited by mimi86; 07-27-2011 at 01:47 PM.
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 137/115/107

Height: 5'2"

Doing Yoga & Pilates are great ways to get toned. Strength training using your own body weight is better than lifting, IMO. I do both regularly, and also weights a couple times/week.

But I agree. You look great, from what I can see

Oh! LOL, to answer your question, YES! I totally think I lose weight like you do.... only I lose the other way around. My arms & legs thin out 1st, and easily, and my stomach is the last to go. I could be 105 and still have a little pot belly, lol.
skinny fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #14  

Height: 5'8

I'm sorry to sound like your mother, but one day you will look at those photos and not believe you thought you could do with losing a few pounds! Seriously, looking at them I don't know where you would lose 5lbs of fat from. I'd suggest a body acceptance program instead of weight loss, in the nicest possible way. You look fantastic!
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #15  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurielou View Post
Thanks guys! I have been wanting to try Pilates for quite some time now. My sister is really into it, so perhaps I'll join her soon and give it a try.

I really think that if I lose around 5-10 more pounds my arms will look much thinner. For some reason that is the LAST place I see results. Even at my lowest weight ever as an adult (118 lbs in 2009 -- see pic below), my arms were still larger than what I thought they should be compared with the rest of my body. Every other part of me was pretty toned and I still had some arm flab.

I'm worried that the rest of me is going to look skeletal by the time my arms finally shrink. Like I said, that pic above is me at 118 and I was happy with my weight (although I did have some arm flab still). I am afraid I really am going to have to get down to like 115 lbs to see it disappear.

You look amazing here. I weigh 117 lbs. and I am built so boyishly. God, I'd kill for a body like yours; curvy and all. Grrr. My sister saw a photo of Gwyneth Paltrow online in a bikini and sent me a link and wrote 'this is you - a boy in a bikini, lol'. Oh well....

I think a good indicator of when you should stop losing weight is if your face looks gaunt. If your face still looks okay, then continue. If it looks gaunt, then stop IMO.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote