Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #1  
Old Cackler

Default on my mind today

Have you ever read an article along the lines of 'habits of thin people'? these articles come out every so often - and i stumbled across one this week, and something about it has stayed with me.

one of the points that the article made was that 'thin people make time for themselves; they take care of themselves- making sure that they eat right, they have time for exercise, time to de-stress, to get enough sleep. and sometimes that means that they say NO to people.'

And then the article went on to say that we had to take better care of ourselves.

here's what i'm thinking - whenever a person starts making changes to take care of themselves, that generally means that they're NOT doing something else that they did - often for someone else. and this means that the relationship between the two people [or more!] is changing.

and that change alone can cause other problems or issues.

wasn't there someone famous who said that change was dangerous? in some respects, it is, even if we hope that it'll be a good thing!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Hmmm...I disagree. At my heaviest, I still made time for myself. I did all the things you mentioned they say slim people do and I was still fat. Ok, granted my "healthy" eating was a foot long subway sandwich or a pizza with only cheese on it, but I would take articles like that saying that over weight people are "lazy." I still hear it all the time. I don't think that's true. There's a difference from being lazy, and unable. When I weighed 250 lbs, I couldn't climb a set of stairs, I couldn't run, I couldn't play with my daughter. I nearly thought I was having a heart attack three times in my overweight years.

In regards to what you think, now with that, I do agree. My relationship with my ex husband failed miserably after I started my journey. Although, keep in mind, we didn't have a concrete ground to stand on in the beginning. We were doomed from the start, but I broke away from habits that him and I used to do together, made new discoveries, new likes, etc.

I think the question that needs to ask is, if we choose to make a change, what other risks are we taking with that change?
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I would also just note that there are lots of very unhealthy thin people out there who clearly do not take care of themselves.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #4  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

Ferumbras - that's a good point. A lot of people, my age especially (early 20s), seem to be able to do whatever they want and it doesn't show. When you see a person of a healthy weight, you immediately associate them with being healthy all around and it just isn't true. I was reading something yesterday that said 93% of Americans weren't getting enough fruit and 99% weren't getting enough vegetables... that's insane!
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I have known many thin people that are unhealthy, but it is more then likely those people will be struggling with their weight or their health soon enough.

I think that Jiffy's point was more along the lines of taking better care of yourself...those of us that tend to get stressed and stress eat tend to not exercise making maintaining weightloss after surgery very difficult and being very unhealthy more likely. The tendency to give up on the very things that make us feel better in the long run is strong, because it seems easier to give them up in the short term.

Caring for yourself is key to healthy living. If you don't care, you don't push past the desire to sit on the couch, eat crappy food, and stress over the days difficulties AND the fact that your are sitting on the couch eating crap and should be exercising.

Thanks for bring it up Jiff.....it is so true!!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #6  

I agree with Jiff and MissAngela... and I think that the fact that there are so many women, more traditionally the "nurturers" culturally speaking, lends itself to that. Many of us, even if we're not mothers, take care of so many around us, and now face taking care of parents, spouses, nieces and nephews, in addition to friends. I know I'm not alone when I say I spend a LOT of my time making sure those close to me are happy and well and attended to. Home AND work. Very little time is left for me, unless you count (the increasing number of) doctor's appointments!

A part of me dreads the impending change surgery will bring, and the required change of focus, but it's such a WELCOME change at the same time.
littlebiskit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #7  

(By the way, MissAngela, I LOVE your new user pic! BEAUTIFUL!!!!)
Old 06-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #8  

Thanks littlebiskit! Its from my 4th modeling shoot! Me...a model at my age! I'm turning 45 on the 6th and a grandma! hehehehe I find myself doing things I never thought I would have the confidence to do! Don't dread change too much, there is a saying that my Aikido teacher says that I hold onto..."saying 'no' makes you weaker, open your arms, and your heart, to change, say YES and conquer!"

Its really an emotional roller coaster from here to the day of surgery...then everything changes again. Just remember to say 'yes!'

Angela
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

ANGELA!!! your FOURTH modeling shoot? are you holding out on us? what's going on here? have you gone national yet? international? have an agent? inquiring minds want to know?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #10  

*Standing behind Jiff nodding emphatically*

You need to share these things!!! XD
Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #11  

Yep, this photo is from my 4th shoot! I started with a fashion photographer last Nov. and fell in love with the process!! It's sooooo much fun! Some pics turn out horrid and some good...this one was exceptional, made me feel very good about modeling!

I have another shoot set up with a new photographer on June 14th and a tenitive shoot for the 29th. I have been approached by other photographers and agencies but I live in Boise...which it isn't a fashion Mecca and there isn't much work unless I travel. I just haven't pushed for that yet.

If you know of any agents that might want to work with a young looking 45 year old plus size model, let me know!!

Thanks for the askin'!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 06-03-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

TRAVEL!!!!! go for it, darlin! you have NOTHING to lose!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #13  
New2disButTrue2dis

S/C/G: 185/223/165

Height: 5'6"

The world is OURS........ We just have to Want it.....
Time2GetFine82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 299/240/170

I am 2 wks post-op and have given this some thought. When I started the pre-op process i realized that I was not going to have the time to give to everything and everyone. I have stopped making sure the house was immaculate and dinner was cooked every night. Luckily for me, my hubby is 100% behind this. He now does a lot of housework and cooks for the kids 3 or so nights a week. I am now journaling more and taking time to start exercising (still an uphill climb). Bottom line: what good does it do to take care of everyone else if it kills me? My new motto: I am NOT superwoman!
ROMANS828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

If Mama ain't happy...then nobody's happy

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote