Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

Default Cheat or Quit?

So I am sure you are thinking: NEITHER! However, I am only 2 1/2 weeks in and I cheat about every 4th day and have some peanut butter. The more times goes between, the more peanut butter. I know the theory behind the no cheat rule on this diet, yet it doesn't seem to stop me. I am resisting everything else, but this is my downfall.

So, it begs the question: Do I Quit and go to phase 3 and 4 since I clearly am not successful wtih the 100 no cheating? Or, do I continue and just accept that every few days I will have some peanut butter even if it slows losses a bit?

If this were you, what would you do (and "don't cheat" is not the kind of repsonse I am looking for at this point!)???
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #2  
IP started 4/25/11

S/C/G: 265/Seeticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Because of the sugar in Peanut Butter...you could be throwing yourself out of Ketosis everytime. And that's really hard on your organs.

My advice... Quit, and try a different diet that allows for the peanut butter.
MInewgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/165/135 (IP 165/151.5/135)

Height: 5'4"

Or get you some of the peanut butter restricted bars either from IP or from Nashua Nutrition. I got some of the white chocolate (IP) ones last week and they have helped me a lot! When I get that craving for something sweet, I just unwrap a bar and I'm good.
cadenlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

+1 on thinking you should find a diet that allows for PB. If you really can't give it up, then IP is not for you. I am not saying this to be mean, because there are certainly a lot of different diets out there that are not for me. I am just being realistic and trying to support you.

If you do want to try again, I would also suggest getting one of the peanut butter bars or the peanut butter soy puffs and seeing if that will help. My other piece of advice would be to maybe try an extra packet and see if adding an extra packet plus eating an peanut buttery restricted help with your satiety.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/137/140

Height: 5' 2"

You've done well with your weight loss...with only 10 more pounds to lose, perhaps you could phase out of IP (properly) and try something like South Beach Diet. 2 years ago I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks on south beach, perhaps that will work for you.
BTW, good job standing up and making yourself accountable!
brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
+1 on thinking you should find a diet that allows for PB. If you really can't give it up, then IP is not for you. I am not saying this to be mean, because there are certainly a lot of different diets out there that are not for me. I am just being realistic and trying to support you.

If you do want to try again, I would also suggest getting one of the peanut butter bars or the peanut butter soy puffs and seeing if that will help. My other piece of advice would be to maybe try an extra packet and see if adding an extra packet plus eating an peanut buttery restricted help with your satiety.
The PB Soy Puffs really taste yummy and really satisfied me for PB. You could have them ever second day as your restricted that way you're getting something. Someone posted recently (can't remember who) It's not good bye to PB (you can put any food item in here) but rather "see you later".

I agree with others if you cannot NOT cheat try a different diet. It's not only the cost of this program that's keeping me on the straight and narrow but if I cheat then I'm going in and out of Ketosis which is really unhealthy.

Good Luck!

Carla
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #7  

Thanks all! I did get the PB Vanilla bars last week and I enjoy them but for some reason I have this mindset I cannot break. It's like, I am saying to myself "let's see how far you can push the envelope and still lose weight and feel great". That's the tough part. I am losing, I feel pretty good. This is just "that one thing" that keeps getting the better of me.

I am not discouraged and appreciate the honesty. I was thinking of phasing off properly, because I believe in how the diet works, and then doing a more balanced diet plus returning to more vigorous exercise again. Just really torn between trying to work through my cheating vice or just calling it a day with respect to this diet . . .
Old 07-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #8  

And with respect to going in/out of ketosis, I guess that's my other PB problem (which I posted on recently). 1-2 TBSP of natural PB is not likely to take me out of ketosis (no sugar added) combined with lower carb IP packets (i.e. no restricted items). Just that the extra fat might interfere with how quickly the diet works. That stupid nagging tidbit is contributing to my downfall.

I KNOW you all are right. I KNOW the cost is high. What I don't KNOW is whether I am going in / out of ketosis . . . I need to convince myself I am so I stop harming my body. As a matter of fact, as I type this I realize the shift that needs to occur. This issue is NOT about weight loss for me, clearly I am losely (albeit slowly). It needs to be about overall HEALTH and gentleness on my system. Whether going in / out of ketosis is truly detrimental (I question this in light of cyclical ketogenic diets, which many athletes use) has to be assumed and I need to NOT want to do this to myself. I take care of myself in so many ways...even before IP, I didn't eat fried foods, red meat, cream sauces, bowls of pasta, unhealthy breads, butter, sour cream, fatty salad dressings, etc. Yet here I sit. Hmmmm. Aha Moment.

Dear Self: Yes, you are absolutely right. Peanut butter is not an unhealthy food and it, in and of itself, is not detrimental to your body. However, in your current therapy/treatment (using the words of the good doctor) it is in fact harmful to your vital organs. EAT A BARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR would you? Stop trying to prove that you can be thin and have your peanut butter too. You can, in Phase IV. Now get over it.

Ok. Phew. Think maybe the shift in mindset, that I am taking care of me from the inside with the small sacrifice, may be what I need to let it go. Here's hoping. Starting now, my efforts are for 100% OP for 14 days (except I give myself permission to do the athletic protocol once I start increasing my workouts to a sufficient level).
Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 175/127/125

Height: 5'5"

Chances are you will continue losing weight if you have those type of "small" cheats. However, some of it will be muscle mass, which you seem to be working so hard to keep. Almost any other diet that is low-calorie is potentially dangerous for that same reason, because if you are not in ketosis and you are consuming such low amount of calories your body will turn to muscle.

Because you have such small amount left to lose, I would say give it one more try, work out moderately so that you don't get to the point that you feel ill. Have an extra packet or 2 as needed. Every time you feel like rationalizing your "cheat" by saying to yourself that this is a low-calorie diet just remind yourself that that's one of the reason it works! Read or re-read the IP book.

Good luck!
Gika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #10  

Thank you Gika - I DO need to remember that I may be sacrificing muscle mass with each spoonful. I definitely don't want that!!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #11  
started IP on 6/17/2011

S/C/G: 195/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5''

You can totally do this. You have such a small amount left to lose. I would give it one more go...maybe get rid of the peanut butter for NOW and know that very very VERY soon you can have it again. You are worth giving up something that you crave (PB) to meet your weight loss goal. Hold yourself accountable and find the strength to move through this. Heck, if you can beat the little PB cheat just think of the possibilities!! GOOD LUCK
champaignsupernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

I say throw out the jar of PB that you have right now. Rinse the jar out in the sink so you cannot go digging it out of the garbage. And try for your 14 days OP. DO NOT BUY A NEW JAR OF PB
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #13  
One step at a time

Location: The land of Spare Room in the City of Wardrobe..-C.S. Lewis

im not sure if you have thought of this or not.. but here are a few things that come to mind:

1) are you sure its the peanut butter that your body is craving? Is it possible that maybe your actually craving salt or protein? Cause one reason we crave, is because we are not getting enough of something..

2) Are you sure your not intolerant to it? I learned from both a doctor and a nutritionist, that often we crave that which we are intolerant to..which is a big reason why im always craving bread..cause im very intolerant to gluten..Same thing with a person intolerant to dairy..they will often crave dairy products..so are you sure that your not intolerant or sensetive to nuts?

I think intsead of just quitting the diet.. i think maybe you should start making a list of possible reasons as to why your craving peanut butter..Start thinking about how you feel prior to putting it in your mouth and then think about it after you have put it in your mouth..and how do you feel after..

Quitting and switching over to another diet..is an option..however..odds are there is something else going on and what to say that you switch to another diet and then all of the sudden crave another food that you cant have? Maybe its the pyscology behind wanting what you know you are not allowed to have?

Just a few thoughts.
Jasesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #14  
I know I can

I thought you were going to try the pb syrup from Torani?
Don't you want to lose the rest of your weight? You can do this but you have to want to do it.
Toss out the PEANUT BUTTER NOW!
Watkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 252.8/165.2/170

Height: 5'10"

I agree with jennydoodle. Why do you still have peanut butter in your house if you know that you can't do without it. If you are leaving it in your house, you are continually setting yourself up for failure. You can do this.
Louisiana chick is offline   Reply With Quote