Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 203

Height: 5'8"

Default Unable to lose weight, getting discouraged

This is my first time posting here, I found this site awhile ago and decided to sign up recently, just a short introduction I'm Jamie, 20 yrs old, and I currently weigh about 203lbs or so.
So I started working out in '09, I realized I wasn't feeling healthy and that clothes were getting tighter. Begininning in January 2010 to August '10 I lost a total of about 20lbs by doing cardio and watching what I was eating going from about 210 lbs to 190lbs. After August, I stopped losing weight and I tried switching up my workouts, doing new things but nothing seemed to work. My mom got me p90x for Christmas, and in Febuary of this year I started it, I enjoyed the workouts, though honestly I didn't follow the diet that came with it though I still continued to eat healthy and I didn't go crazy with my calories while on it, but by the time I finished my 90 days of the program I had went from 193lbs back up to about 200lbs. I've researched things and I understand that scale weight isn't the most important thing, but I'm not losing inches either, and I don't know what to do anymore. I've tried just doing cardio, I've tried focusing on just weight lifting, I've been doing weights and HIIT recently, and I've also tried lowering my calories and uping my calories. I'm not sure if maybe I'm just doing something wrong or what, so if anyone has gone through the same thing or anything advice would be great because I just don't know what to do anymore. Thanks

Last edited by JamieLee7; 07-22-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: misspelled words
JamieLee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #2  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Are you on any diet plan? I don't know how old you are, but exercise and calorie intake sometime hit the wall. I found that plans like WW are repeat diets, and this time I am doing the Ideal Protein plan. It's the only one i have found to really give me satisfying results with a do able plan, and it will go thruogh four phases that in the end, give you a maintenance plan that is really workable.

Maybe take a look at that.
It's so hard to get motivated but once you get your head in the right place, you'll be great.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

To lose weight, you need to consistently create a calorie deficit: eat less than you burn.

If you haven't been counting calories, and don't know if you've created a deficit, then that's probably why you haven't been losing.

Working out does burn calories, but many people say weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.... you can easily out-eat your calorie burn if you aren't careful...

Have you followed any one plan consistently?
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Hi, Jamie! Welcome to 3FC!

Are you recording what you're eating and carefully measuring the portions? I know it sounds like a pain in the butt, but you'd be surprised how off our "guesstimations" of calories can be. So I'd suggest starting a food diary and recording your exact calorie intake first.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Some people can lose weight by exercising and eating "healthy". Others cannot.

As mentioined by others fat is lost when you ingest fewer calories than you utilize. Unforutnately while exercise is very good for your health it doesn't burn many calories.

Just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean you're not losing fat. You need to take pictures and measure yourself in a few areas. The scale is unreliable.

Everyone can lose weight, including you. Don't give up. Continue to educate yourself and consider yourself lucky to be on this site. There are many that are full of false information.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

I am like purrfect. I just kept hitting a wall with WW and CC and I didn't lose on Nutrisystem, but I am losing on IP. I am 53 and have an iffy thyroid (take Synthroid, I swear it does nothing). The IP seems to have woke up my losing ability and I am very pleased.

Make sure you write everything down in a journal, so you can look it over.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 203

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I've never been on a diet plan like weight watchers or anything like that, I just try to eat healthy balanced meals. For awhile I was eating around 1700-1800 calories, the lowest I was ever at was 1600, and for about a month now I've increased my calories to about 2000 since I wasn't seeing much progress before. I track my calories using a website, though there are days I'll forget to track so I need to crack down on that, I also usually weigh out or measure food. I've also been trying to keep away from the scale, I've been considering hiding it somewhere so I won't get on it too often, and I try to take pictures and measurements regularly. Again thanks for the help everyone
JamieLee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/260/135

I have seen this site a few times and even checked it out but this is my first time doing anything on it. I'm 21 and have the same problem. However counting calories has never been my thing. I count fat. When that did not work I started counting calories and have lost about 30lbs in the last six to seven months. This is going to sound wrong but it is nice to know I am not the only person my age with this problem.
tiffanymc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 162/158.4/120

Height: 5'2"

I second everything that everbody else is saying. You have to be rather strict with your calories, as much as a pain as that is. Simply "cutting back" and "eating healthy" won't do it. You have to know how many calories you are consuming. It is only when you get the calories in/calories out equation right that you will start losing.

I struggle with that, too. I hate it, but I started doing it again, and the weight is coming off, so I am glad that I am.
jillianfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/266/170

i feel the same way my weight goes back and forth but starting tommorow imma write everything i eat and make sure it doesnt go over my limit but im pretty sure i dont i hardly eat
losingdaybyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/225/200

I started off using myfitnesspal to keep track of calories in/burned. And I lost 15 lbs that way. But then, even with exercise I was just staying the same weight. And I stayed there for a few weeks. Then it was suggested to me by a friend to stay within a certain fat and carb intake. And once I lowered those, I've now lost another 13 lbs.

Also, Just wanted to give you a special "Welcome" from a fellow Mountaineer
Bamber33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

I'm just under 5'10 and about 10 pounds heavier then you and the calorie counting trackers have me at 1600 to lose weight. You probably need to cut down lower then that. I'd advise trying around 1400 and see what happens.
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #13  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Agreed with the above about calories. You have to be strict about them. Slacking off even a couple of days a week will really affect your ability to lose.

However, if you keep count of calories, work out, and still can't lose weight, I'd see a doctor and see if something else might be going on. Keep a food diary of what you ate and as many nutritional details as possible to show your doctor, so you can determine what the problem might be.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I suggest, if you do not want to count calories, just start 17 days diet. That book costs around $15.
Along with it get some good book on exercise. Remember to change exercise routine as frequently as possible.
In cardio do one of the following
running jumpin( walking rowing Climbing stars etc
In weight lifting
Curls shoulder press lunges with weights kettle etc
Do cardio 45 min a day
Weights 15 min a day
Drink 10 glasses of water, out of. That 2-3 glasses of warm lemon water first thing in morning.
Drink green tea with every meal
Record all the food, exercise and water.
I bet you will see results in 8 days
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #15  

what diet is IP?
abigi7 is offline   Reply With Quote