Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Arrow Game: Musical Motivation

Hey gang! Felt like livening up the Alternachicks with a game! Remember: Everyone and anyone can be an Alternachick/Alternadude We're equal opportunity weirdos

Silly experiment time! I see a lot of workout-specific music threads, as well as motivational sayings threads, etc. The aim of this game is a tad different. In fact, this is only a "game" in the very loosest sense of the word (so please forgive me), but who doesn't like games?

Are you the type of person who gets lost in music? The type of person whose emotions can be lifted by a good tune or the right lyric?

The point of this thread will be for those times when we need a little musical pick-me-up. We'll be able to scroll through the songs, click on the links and experience a quick rush that sometimes only music can provide. We may like the song, we may not, but we might be able to find some songs we'd never have thought to listen to before!

The Game: Easy rules, promise! Simply listen to the previous song linked, and give your thoughts on it. (Do try to find something good about it even if it's not your cup of tea or coffee... ) Then, post a link to a song or tune that either makes you feel positive about losing weight or helps you feel determined to lose weight. Anything goes, no genre discouraged. As long as you give a little info explaining why that particular song of the moment is giving you good vibes Please no "playlist dumping" as that's not really a game that's just making a list. This is about a song of the moment that is particularly uplifting and/or motivational to you, as well as giving other songs a chance!

Anyone is welcome to come back at any time to reply and post another song! Whenever the mood strikes!

I'll start the game off in the first reply post...
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Secret Garden - Elan

This song makes me think of twirling and running through a meadow on a warm day with the sun shining down over everything! It makes me imagine wearing a long flowing skirt and an airy top while dancing around at goal weight. ^-^
Old 07-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

Lovely - Ah, the music reminds me a bit of something I'd hear in Game of Thrones Probably not something I'd throw on my iPod to listen to regularly (I like to be able to sing along ) but it did put me in a good mood.

Breaking Benjamin - Until The End

So my pick is pretty much the exact opposite in sound/tone than the peaceful tune posted above, but the reason I picked it is pretty obvious from the lyrics. The song is about a struggle to get to the end and I especially like the lines:

'Why give up? Why give in?
It's not enough, it never is
So I will go on until the end'

We all have those times where we think that we might not get to our goal, or that no matter how hard we try the weight's just not coming off, etc. I also like it because when I work out, I like rock songs because I feel like the music is kicking my butt with the screams and intensity of the song. Kind of weird, I know ^^'
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Michi - I do like me some Breaking Benjamin. I, too, appreciated the lyrics. Especially the "I've lost my way, but I will go on until the end" and the repetition of "The final fight I'll win." I like that not-giving-up feel to it, regardless of what's going on. Thanks for posting it! I know I'll be listening to it, again.

Florence+The Machine - Drumming Song

Now, the lyrics probably are more relationship-based, but I absolutely love this tune. The beat on it is amazing, and it's great for making me want to get up and dance around. And even if the lyrics are more about another person, I can't help but sing along.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I love Florence + The Machine. We saw them at Bonnaroo and they are just amazing. And, seriously, how tall is she? Her legs go on for days!

Great song!

Here's my pick. I am a huge fan of My Morning Jacket. They don't do traditional music videos, so here's the best live video I can find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFyelklEanQ

This song speaks to me about being comfortable in your own skin, living in the moment, being alive and present. LOVE.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

lol Spooky! I know what you mean about her legs. Holy moly, do they ever end?!

@bout - Wonderful (The way I feel) - Oh I love it! It's so sweet and easy to listen to. And the opening lyrics are completely spot on for me. I actually like that version, it seems so personal with the acoustics in the empty stadium.

My next pick is a little silly:

Mika - Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

It's just a fun song, with a silly video and it always makes me laugh and picks me up.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

OMG! Lovely, I love dancing to Big Girl You Are Beautiful on Just Dance 2 Hahaha it's just a lot of fun and reminds me of the song I'm gonna post below a little. I kind of like it too because even when I get to my goal weight, I want to have a little 'extra' because I love the voluptuous pin-up sort of look

Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls

I mean, how could I not follow up with this? This makes me feel good to be big and no matter what size you are, if you have confidence and are comfortable with yourself then you're gonna look and feel good!
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

I love that song, Michi. And who can't rock out to Queen, right? It definitely makes me wanna listen to so much more Queen

My next choice is: La Roux - Bulletproof

For the obvious reasons, that it really does make me feel bulletproof about the choices I'm making. Once again, it's likely about relationship things, but I also take it to be just a little bit of a "**** you" to people who've dismissed me due to my size. It makes me lift my chin up, and walk just a little taller.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 320/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I'm at work, so I can't listen to the song above me yet, but I wanted to share:
Green Day's "Waiting":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a27BJGUmd7I&ob=av2e

Its not really about weight loss, but could be totally inspirational in that way if you think about it.
The lyrics:
"Waiting"

I've been waiting a long time/ For this moment to come I'm destined/ For anything...at all/ Downtown lights will be shining/ On me like a new diamond /Ring out under the midnight hour /No one can touch me now /And I can't turn my back /It's too late ready or not at all /Well, I'm so much closer than /I have ever known... /Wake up
/Dawning of a new era /Calling...don't let it catch you falling /Ready or not at all /So close enough to taste it /Almost...I can embrace this /Feeling....on the tip of my tongue
/Well, I'm so much closer than /I have ever known... /Wake up /Better thank your lucky stars.... /(Shey hey hey) /I've been waiting for a life time /For this moment to come /I'm destined for anything at all
/Dumbstruck /Colour me stupid /Good luck /You're gonna need it /Where I'm going if I get there... /At all....
/Wake up /Better thank your lucky stars....
Amber1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Oh yay! Some Green Day I really loved the "I'm so much closer than I have ever known". For some reason it rang true with me. You're very right about the lyrics being pretty awesome on that one especially for weight loss/fitness stuff. It can definitely be seen that way.

Rilo Kiley - A Better Son/Daughter

The above is a little bittersweet, and does include a couple of naughty words So just a warning ahead of time in case you'd rather not hear it!

What I appreciate about it, is how the song builds to this point where it makes me want to truly scream out the lyrics. It's one of those songs that are much more cathartic.

The words that probably most apply are:

"... And sometimes when you're on you're really ****ing on
And your friends they sing along and they love you
But the lows are so extreme that the good seems ****ing cheap
And it teases you for weeks in its absence

But you'll fight and you'll make it through
You'll fake it if you have to..."

Rather than just be a song that starts out bubbly (which I still do enjoy), it takes me through the emotion, and I wind up on the other end relieved for having listened to it.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #11  

Height: 5'5"

I really liked that, it's not my usual style but it was uplifting =)

this is a song that's really motivating me at the moment. Bit of a guilty pleasure, but I listen to it over and over again. The chorus makes me feel great. it's just one of those songs that makes me feel happy. It's Take That with 'Love Love'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxEVPe7XMcs&ob=av3e
SpangleMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

That is a fun song! I really like the beat on it, and I could see myself sweating to it. I think one of my favorite things is that I can hear they're British while they're singing. So many times I hear bands and I have no idea they're from the UK until they start talking instead of singing. But that's just a silly little tidbit. I liked the pace of it a lot!

This next song is one that I've chosen mostly for the pace of it, as well:

I Blame Coco - Caesar

I really, really like the pace and how fast it moves. I have, in fact, worked out to this song and it's difficult for me to -not- sing along. It feels very powerful the whole way through.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Oooh... I like that one! Both the pace and the lyrics are great. I'm not familiar with the group, but I have a feeling I soon will be. Thank you for introducing me to something new.

My pick: "Move Your Body" by Eiffel65. Techno always gets me pumped up and the lyrics for this song fit really well when exercising.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

Oh man. Eiffel65! I remember that damned Blue song that wouldn't end years ago!

Separately, yes! I like this song I do so love me some techno stuff, especially for my walks it gets me stepping to the beat and keeps me going during some rough patches. Especially when it's just catchy during the more chorus-y parts.

Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

An oldie, but a goodie, with an incredibly fun music video. This is the original Daft Punk version, and it has just about everything I want/need in a good pick-me-up workout song.

The music itself makes me step harder, and then the lyrics... I couldn't ask for more. And it's Daft Punk, so they never cease to amaze.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Oh man, I'd forgotten about Daft Punk! So good to be reminded again. I love the beat that this song has.

Here's Chae Yeon's Two of Us.

Several years ago I got really into Korean music. It lets me get my pop music fix without having to worry about how ridiculous the lyrics might be. (If only Brittney Spears could be in a language I don't understand, I'd probably listen to her a lot. Somehow I can put up with stupid lyrics in techno, but not pop, for whatever reason.) I love this song because of the catchiness of the beat and I love her voice. The rhythm has this great "up and down" aspect to it that feels perfect to me for doing things like squats, somehow. Go figure.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote