Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #1  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Walkers and reeeeaaaalllly slow runners UNITE!

Hi, I'm a walker and an occasional really slow runner looking for support and friends to chat with. I walk because I prefer low impact physical activity. And I'm a really poor runner (don't tell me if I just tried I too could be a runner, I don't want to). I have a goal to walk for ever increasing amounts of time and mileage, although I don't have a timeline, I would just like to take a twenty mile walk for poo and giggles. Walkers unite!
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 306/255/160

Height: 5'6"

I'm totally a walker! Although I do have the goal of working up to running, eventually, but for now I really just really enjoy walking. Plus, I like getting extra exercise in by walking to local places around where I live to run errands. I actually really enjoy the feeling of brisk walking, headphones in, music pumping. Feels good!
swtbttrfly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Yep. I walk. (raises hand).

I never have felt well coordinated enough to run. For me my duck walk is an achievement in of itself! LOL.

Timely thread though -- I've just begun walking for a new PALA.
http://www.presidentschallenge.org/

A.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

I am walking, also. I need a knee replacement and I am strictly forbidden to do anything high impact. I have been doing low impact aerobics and weights. Recently, I have started walking and I will be doing a 5K in early September.

Bless all the runners, but walking is perfectly good excercise.

Good thread!
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #5  
Restricting my way down..

S/C/G: 213/ticker/160now150!

Height: 5'4"

Walker here!

I started walking 1 hour walks w/my Grandma when I was a little girl up until I received my first Scottish Terrier 10 years ago. I had also biked regularly as a teenager but not so much now due to the dogs.
For the past 10 years, I've been walking 1 1/2 hours regularly a day, everyday, no matter what the weather. Exceptions for a tad bit shorter walks in the heat (Scotties & I prefer cool weather) and the last week that Boomer was alive.
Walking makes me feel good--it's like my coffee every morning, and my sleeping pill at night.
ScottieMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

I'm currently a slow walker... does that count?

I will likely eventually work up to some kind of running, but at the moment I can't even walk at 3mph, so that's my first goal. I'm only at about 2.4mph, but I started at 2mph 3 months ago. So I'm sloooowwwwlly gonna get there.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #7  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

YAY WALKING!!
I walk at least an hour a day, and try to keep it around 4mph.. I use Noom on my Droid to let me know how far, how fast, calories burned, etc. Last week I walked 7.5 miles in one day, but usually I just do about 4.

Sometimes I add in a tiny bit of running.. For example I had a 3 mile walk the other day that I also ran .10 miles 3 times within the walk. Definitely don't consider myself a runner (and might not ever get to that point), but it does feel good after I push myself a little.

Last edited by m3rma1d; 07-20-2011 at 10:56 AM.
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #8  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Yay! There are other walkers out there!

Today I did not walk, I bled. I cut my hand filleting a fish and spent a few hours at a clinic getting patched up. There was a lot of blood loss, because I got myself good. And it's throbbing insanely right now so I took painkillers so that means playing on the treadmill is out of the question. But, thankfully I only cut my hand and my feet work perfectly, so I can get back to walking tomorrow.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #9  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Glad it was just your hand! (I don't mean that to sound bad)

About a week into my current walking regimen (back in June) I sprained my right foot and wasn't allowed to walk for a WEEK... It was THE WORST!! And it still hurt for a week after I started back up, but I pushed thru.
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I love running, but my maximum speed seems to be about 5mph (12 minute mile). I've got no desire to be fast, I just do it for fun, relaxation, and to burn some calories. And even at my 12+ minute mile pace, I end up taking walking breaks, especially uphill, since there are some steep ones around here.

I've run two 5Ks, and my times were 38 minutes (no walking breaks) and 34 minutes (with walking breaks).

Sometimes I feel awkward walking, because I'm afraid people will think "that girl is young and not very overweight, she must be in terrible shape or really lazy if she's only walking," or when I take walking breaks I'm afraid people will think I'm tired and out of breath just from walking. Even though I know logically no one cares what the heck I'm doing. It's different if I'm wearing casual street clothes, but if I'm wearing my nice moisture-wicking workout stuff I feel like I need to run or everyone will think I'm crazy.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
I love running, but my maximum speed seems to be about 5mph (12 minute mile). I've got no desire to be fast, I just do it for fun, relaxation, and to burn some calories. And even at my 12+ minute mile pace, I end up taking walking breaks, especially uphill, since there are some steep ones around here.

I've run two 5Ks, and my times were 38 minutes (no walking breaks) and 34 minutes (with walking breaks).

Sometimes I feel awkward walking, because I'm afraid people will think "that girl is young and not very overweight, she must be in terrible shape or really lazy if she's only walking," or when I take walking breaks I'm afraid people will think I'm tired and out of breath just from walking. Even though I know logically no one cares what the heck I'm doing. It's different if I'm wearing casual street clothes, but if I'm wearing my nice moisture-wicking workout stuff I feel like I need to run or everyone will think I'm crazy.
I basically don't need to post since you said everything I would have! I can't manage to get over 5mph either and I walk a LOT in between, and in public I feel like people are judging me for walking (which DOES seem silly.)

I have asthma and when I start running, I can't get into stride because I start wheezing and choking after a few minutes and then I just have to walk. I would really like to be a runner, but I don't think it's in the cards for me.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Omgoodness, Ghost, I hope your hand heals swiftly! Yikes! Glad you'll be able to walk without it affecting you, though!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #13  

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post

When I first started running in the beginning of the summer, I too, used to feel almost embarrassed b/c my running would be sandwiched between A LOT of walking as I built my endurance. I would always think when another runner passed me walking dressed in my nice running apparel, "that woman must really be out of shape if she can't even run a half-mile." But like you said, people are too busy with what they are doing to even notice you half the time. So I was a former walker but now am a runner. Walking helped me along with my running so I'll never totally give it up. Just right now, running is my new companion, lol.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #14  
This means war...

S/C/G: 277/237/199

I am a walker with hopes of someday running but I'm not going to give myself a timeline. I also want to be able to hike. Living in a beautiful area for hiking makes me feel like an outcast because hills will do me in in a matter of minutes. There is an 8 mile hike out to a cabin that I want to do with my son for camping but I know right now I could never make it without a helicopter ride home, lol, so I must get in shape for this. That is my goal, walking until I build up the endurance to hike 8 miles to a cabin and camp (it will require quite a heavy backpack.
Mango30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:44 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

I'm a walker.

I hope to work up to runner, but that's a long way off for me.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote