General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/283/230

Height: 5'8"

Default Diet or Exercise?

Ok, so we all know to lose weight both help together hand in hand, but if you could only do one or only wanted t do one, which would it be and why?

Diet or Exercise?

For me it is diet, I don't always like to work out, it is tiring and just wears me out, I know it is supposed to, but still, I believe in sttarting with diet and then working up to working out, just a little at a time.

Thank you,
Mandy
MandyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:38 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Diet. Hands down.

Monitoring food intake is the only way I'd be able to reduce my calorie intake in such a way as to lose weight.

That being said... there's no way I'd give up my fitness routine now. Changing my diet is helping me to lose the excess fat storage, while exercising is training my body to become stronger!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #3  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

It seems you really do know the answer but are hoping that you can find folks to tell you it's okay to just do this part way. It takes effort all around, one "feeds" the other.

If you can, check out the Ideal Protein diet plan as it REQUIRES you do not exercise in the beginning, but there are quick weight losses in the first weeks and it is unique in that it has a real science behind it AND a phased plan so you really understand and know how to maintain your losses.

You are here...you are trying to make this happen...stop trying. Get doing.
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:26 AM   #4  
poundsbegone

S/C/G: 199/162/150

Height: Just because you put a pretty shirt over your muffin top, that dose not make it a cupcake!

I'd prefer to be active and then go eat steak and potatoes! lol
MsThickMiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

You need both for different reasons.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Both.

But for straight up weightloss, it's diet. You can't create the type of caloric deficits you need each day to lose weight through exercise... unless you have a couple of hours each day to spare.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

A small number of us aren't actually able to exercise for medical reasons, remember. I'm one of them, and I've lost over 14lb. So yes, it's possible. I can see why it's not ideal for most people, but it's definitely possible. I would absolutely exercise if it was physically possible for me, though.

Why are you asking the question? Do you feel intimidated by the prospect of both?
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #8  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Diet helps yes, but excecise can speed up the process and once you get going excercise is actually fun.

It's a great stress reliever form me!
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #9  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

I agree with YOU Mandy! Diet first...exercise can come later. It's ok. I didn't start exercising until almost a month after I started my healthy way of eating.

Diet = weight loss
Exercise = health

Sure, you need both...but not to lose weight!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyBuz View Post
Ok, so we all know to lose weight both help together hand in hand, but if you could only do one or only wanted t do one, which would it be and why?

Diet or Exercise?

For me it is diet, I don't always like to work out, it is tiring and just wears me out, I know it is supposed to, but still, I believe in sttarting with diet and then working up to working out, just a little at a time.

Thank you,
Mandy
You can lose weight with diet alone, but not usually with exercise alone, so for weight loss, I would choose diet. However, exercise is so important, even if you are not overweight. It lowers your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol, increases your lung function, strengthens your muscles. Many times you don't think you have these problems, but take it from one who made this mistake.....it's far better to exercise and PREVENT these problems that to have to deal with them after they have caused damage. It doesn't have to be killer cardio. Start off short and slow and eventually you will be increasing your time and intensity without even realizing it. I started off with 10 minutes on the treadmill and 5 minutes on the elliptical. Adding a few minutes at a time, I ended up doing 30 minutes on each per day. You want to be healthy so you can enjoy your new lifestyle with your new body!!!

Carol

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-21-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

If I *HAD* to pick one, I would pick exercise. I have seen results in the past on exercise alone. Then again, my diet has never been horrible. But I love running, being active, and just getting sweaty. Haha.
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulloser View Post
Diet = weight loss
Exercise = health
This is almost exactly what I was gonna say when I read the first post.

If you're asking which I'd do if it were a perfect world and either one would let me lose weight, I'd choose exercise... I loooove exercise, and I love to eat huge quantities of junk food. I wish that worked.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I'd much rather pick exercise. It can be fun, makes me feel hardcore (), and I just like seeing constant improvement in what I can do. However, if I HAD to pick one, I'd go with diet, since it's a lot more effective (and necessary) for weight-loss.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/192/140

Height: 5 Feet, 5 Inches

If I had to pick just one, it would be diet. Like others have said thats where the main weight loss happens. You can never out exercise a bad diet!

This would change if I had access to my favorite exercise (volleyball and soccer). But in my town that means shelling out $70 per month to go to the Y. I do like when on the weeks the scale doesn't move, I've lost inches and can see a change in my pictures. And that comes from the exercise!
NotJustALittleFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 300/283/230

Height: 5'8"

Yea! I love all of your answers, I just started back on My diet this past week, of course I had a couple of cheats today, I have been doing good this week, one more cheat allowed on Sunday and then another strict week of diet. I am finding new recipes though to make it more fun and enjoyable.

Next week I start with walking, just up and down the stairs (it's too hot here in Ga to work out outside for Me). :-)

Thank you all for your fun thoughts on this.

Mandy
MandyBuz is offline   Reply With Quote