Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Postpartum stomach woes...

Hey ladies - this is baby #3 for me and although I'm only 2.5 weeks postpartum my stomach is still quite out there and I look like I'm still pregnant. I was already pretty well deflated at this point with my other two so this is new!

What are you ladies doing to get the old midriff back in shape? I'm starting some transverse ab exercises and some light walking but that's it until my 6 week PP check. Any ideas, suggestions on what's working for you are much appreciated!
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I'm about seven weeks out from my c-section, and I've been doing couch-to-5k (plus calorie counting). I'm kind of afraid to start any direct ab work because I've still got a small amount of internal pain from the c-section when I use my abs to sit up or something.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #3  

Height: 5'0"

My baby is 7 months old and I still have a pp belly! It's not too bad... just a little extra skin hanging on. Not sure what to do to get rid of it, but I'm hoping to find a way!
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Wow ladies, you are all so soon postpartum! (btw BigChiefHoho, love to see your avatar, I am an extended babywearer, still exclusively wearing my now 14 month old!).

For me, it's all about diet, strong compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press), planks, and TIME! It took 12 weeks just for my abdominal swelling to go down!

Plus both of you ladies are dealing with (a) 3rd pregnancy (muscles getting very stretched after 3 pregnancies) and (b) C-section which cuts through the muscle.

Take time and just keep on track with diet and proper safe core exercises. Good luck! I've now got a flat stomach (however I have tons of loose skin!)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

I will have to second Sascha's reply! Focus on a healthy diet and exercise. You can not spot reduce but you can add in some ab work. Then once you lose the belly fat, you will be more likely to see results in your abdominal region. Good luck and stay strong!
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/161.8/159

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChiefHoho View Post
I'm about seven weeks out from my c-section, and I've been doing couch-to-5k (plus calorie counting). I'm kind of afraid to start any direct ab work because I've still got a small amount of internal pain from the c-section when I use my abs to sit up or something.
Warning: the C-section shelf (I've heard it referred to as a "dew flap") will NOT go away. Ever. Make peace with that now if you can.
Arianwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

I'm definitely getting a tummy tuck and my abs 'repaired' once I'm down to goal and maintain for a while - we're done having kids and I was not blessed with good skin elasticity!
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #8  

Me too!!! I have to have a C-section next time (I didn't for the 1st), you think they'll tuck then??

Haha, just kidding I can hope.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

well, i also have had a c-section about 10 weeks ago. And I am doing intermittent fasting. my stomach is ALWAYS my sore spot for my eyes. the fasting is really whittling away at the belly. I still eat lots of protein and good food during the times I eat...but I usually have seen the best results with fasting. it also stabilizes my blood sugar, and am not having any milk issues--too much fat stores I guess.

you ladies have to find what works best for you. I do recommend NOT doing situps though. the best thing is an all over core exercise like the planks. you can do some modified planks (not get all the way down to the ground) another good one is a modified super man. plank position (maybe over the bathtub? and raise alternate arms and legs.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
btw BigChiefHoho, love to see your avatar, I am an extended babywearer, still exclusively wearing my now 14 month old!
Thanks! I love that ring sling SO much - easiest way in the world to carry him around. I figure giving myself an extra twelve pounds to carry can't hurt the weight-loss, either.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #11  

Quote:
Thanks! I love that ring sling SO much - easiest way in the world to carry him around. I figure giving myself an extra twelve pounds to carry can't hurt the weight-loss, either.
And it's best place for your little one My boy is now 30lbs and I still wear him at least 1 hour a day, now that's a workout, good thing the baby's weight increases as you get used to it, keeps you challenged
Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #12  

Height: 5'0"

I really need to wear my LO more. I'd love to put her on my back and walk the mall with the senior citizens (pushing toddler in stroller) since it's soooooo HOT here now!

My second kid was born via c-section. Such a bummer to hear I'm stuck with tummy flab forever!! I'm older too, so less elasticity in the skin. But I'm still gonna try and whittle it down as much as possible. I'm apple shaped, so I really gain in my tummy, but there's got to be a way to flatten it out again!
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Lol I credit babywearing to a lot of my weight loss...my DD LOVES to be carried and I carried her everywhere (still carry her lots actually...mind you at almost 18 months mostly she likes to run away from me giggling ), especially while cleaning the house from top to bottom, it definitely adds to the workout! And when my 3 year old clamors to be carried too, well there's a he-man workout if there ever was one.
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote