Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #1  

Default What do you wish you knew when you started?

Hi! I'm new to this diet and been looking over this forum for awhile before I started to make sure it was right for me. I was wondering for those who have been doing this diet what do you wish you knew when you first started? Maybe it's info your coach didn't tell you or you didn't realize the importance of it. I'm starting today with alternatives and am very excited. I would like to learn from you guys. If there is a thread out there please point me in the right direction. There seems to be lots of really loooong threads here. Thanks!
luckygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I wish I knew there were alternatives, as the program is really expensive. I don't have the nerve to quit and use alternatives, 'cause I am a chicken and I really love my coach. I am only on week 3 and already feel the money pinch, I guess I should have asked about cost more upfront, who'd a thought one packet would cost $4???
As for the program (diet) itself, I love it and it is working when CC and WW just didn't work.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 159/150/129

Height: 5'2

That changing up lunch and supper isn't a big deal...
That drinking your water is a minimum.... that 100 oz is a better bet
That you will have ups and downs, and charting your weight loss, in relation to your monthly cycle and sleep patterns will help you be prepared for those weigh in days when things aren't moving. That what you average is as important as those "big weeks", and you probably won't see big weeks every week.

Be prepared.... Buy an extra shaker and stash a couple of packets, bars, snacks with you in your purse, car, work, etc.... Keep a small pill box with an extra set of vitamins. I ordered a few WF single packet dressings for emergency use at restuarants who don't offer great dressing choices.

It is totally possible to eat out... but plan ahead. Most places offer menu's online. Be difficult if it means you stay on program. Get them to take everything off your salad that isn't on the plan.

Plan plan plan your meals. I portion out everything at the beginning of the week and again mid week, so I am never unprepared.

Invest in a scale and 2 cup tupperware containers.

Look up recipes, find variety so you don't get bored. There are a ton of recipes on here to keep you motivated.

This diet DOES WORK.... but it is a non cheat diet. The more you stray and the more you cheat and not be OP the longer it will take for the weight to come off.

I also have found that taking Melatonin and the Omega's have really helped by personal weight loss quest.
Thefireresides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #4  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
I wish I knew there were alternatives, as the program is really expensive. I don't have the nerve to quit and use alternatives, 'cause I am a chicken and I really love my coach. I am only on week 3 and already feel the money pinch, I guess I should have asked about cost more upfront, who'd a thought one packet would cost $4???
As for the program (diet) itself, I love it and it is working when CC and WW just didn't work.

Yes, it is expensive but we are worth every cent of it. Think of it like this, If you were to go out to eat you couldn't get a meal for $4 could you?
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/137/140

Height: 5' 2"

I only wish i had started this years ago! LOL!
Not just for the weight loss, but it has done wonders with pain management too. This time last year, I was popping painkillers like tic-tacs to overcome the burning pain in my left hip and knee. After about a month on the program, I stopped taking painkillers all together. (Funny thing is, when I've been sitting down for a while and I go to get up, I still kind of grimace at the anticipation of the pain of getting up...but it never comes...I wish I had ended the pain sooner by starting the program earlier!!)

I think there is an alternative thread in the stickies, with some very helpful information (some of the posters started on IP and then moved over to alternatives). There are many on here that have had fantastic results on alternatives, keep your eye on the prize and you will do great!
brummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/177/150

Height: 5'2"

I wish I had known that you can't have aspertame. It is in a lot of foods and drinks that are 0 cal 0 fat 0 carbs, so be warned you cannot drink diet soda (execpt I found diet right made with splenda instead), sugar free jello, or diet peak ice tea (all favorites of mine that I pigged out on that first week) I would be much further along if I had read the boards better or if my caoch had told me that.
Bickel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: IP160/131/130

Height: 5'3"

I wish I had known that I might get sick -- yep, I was one of those who went through two very, very bad days. Fortunately, I came out on the other side feeling great! So -- I wish I had known to start cutting back on coffee, sugar and processed foods for about two weeks before I started -- it was pretty rough for me. But for my husband, the former cookie monster, he had nooooo problems with being sick. Go figure. . .

Also, read these threads -- they are life savers as far as what you are going through -- there is great support out here. Be creative with your food -- see what others have done. There are some great posts right here in this thread!

One last thing -- I found out that I lost more weight in four weeks on IP than I did for six whole months on another weight loss program.

Good luck with whatever you decide! =)
Lone Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Yes, it is expensive but we are worth every cent of it. Think of it like this, If you were to go out to eat you couldn't get a meal for $4 could you?
True wuv2bloved, but I don't eat out every meal of the week. lol. Actually don't eat out but 1 or 2x/month because of expense. I am not complaining, but you have to admit an extra $400/month is alot, at least for my family. I think many people are doing just as well on alternatives for 1/3 the cost. So, people that truly can't afford the extra $$ each month still can follow the IP protocol by reading the book or just coming to 3 fat chicks.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

This isn't specific to IP but I wish that I had taken my measurements when I started. I measure every month and keep track. It has sustained me as a measurement of progress when the scale has stalled a little.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #10  
Freedom from Food

S/C/G: 170/170/138

Height: 5'7" size 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
True wuv2bloved, but I don't eat out every meal of the week. lol. Actually don't eat out but 1 or 2x/month because of expense. I am not complaining, but you have to admit an extra $400/month is alot, at least for my family. I think many people are doing just as well on alternatives for 1/3 the cost. So, people that truly can't afford the extra $$ each month still can follow the IP protocol by reading the book or just coming to 3 fat chicks.
I am using alternative products, and if you read the labels closely, you can substitute things carefully. The cost does matter especially if, like me, you need 4 or sometimes 5 packets a day to get through.
Just keep the carb count under 30 grams, and make sure none of the no no's (like aspartame) are included in the ingredients.

I still buy the IP packets, I have found some favorites and consider that the protein blend may be important in how it is assimilated in the body. I just buy fewer.

Also remember you aren't on phase one for ever. It's a short term investment for a long term benefit!
Purrfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 129/129/113

I've been OP for 3 weeks and I wish that I:

1) read the IP protocol more carefully! For the first two weeks I was consuming 2 TABLESPOONS of oil each day instead of 2 teaspoons. It doesn't sound like a huge difference but I was adding a ton of unnecessary fat.

2) tried some of the recipes found on this forum to prevent boredom in the beginning.

3) purchased only 1 of each packet. I purchased several packets of things I thought I would like, only to discover they were disgusting. Then I had to eat them because I didn't want to waste money.

Last edited by jennylauren19; 08-03-2011 at 01:14 PM.
jennylauren19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel83 View Post
I wish I had known that you can't have aspertame. It is in a lot of foods and drinks that are 0 cal 0 fat 0 carbs, so be warned you cannot drink diet soda (execpt I found diet right made with splenda instead), sugar free jello, or diet peak ice tea (all favorites of mine that I pigged out on that first week) I would be much further along if I had read the boards better or if my caoch had told me that.
My clinic says aspartame is fine???
wheekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/210/150

I too wish I had know about alternatives sooner. It got to the point where I was buying IP products instead of paying my bills. Now I pay $10 for a box instead of $28
wheekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

I wish I had known that the "coaches" aren't that knowledgeable and that I wouldn't be receiving the type of medical attention I thought would come with my $250 fee. I thought I would have bloodwork (cholesterol et al), blood pressure checks etc. and that it would be monitored throughout -- I was looking forward to seeing some positive changes in my overall health but now it is just a mystery. And my coaches don't know anything that isn't on the one-page handout and don't even seem to know what affects ketosis . . . not exactly the expertise I thought I was getting! It doesn't affect me (as I have 3FC) but I was a little disappointed!
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 153.8/142.6/135ish

Height: 5'7

Would love to know which alternatives you are finding @ that price? I planned financially to be on IP for 4-6 weeks. I am about to start week 5 but am not that close to goal so if I could shift products than I think I could continue on!
coliep is offline   Reply With Quote