Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Lightbulb What are your Nutrient Dense Foods for the Holidays?

I know it's not the holiday season yet but I was wondering if anyone had some tips to make more nutrient dense foods for the holidays. I want to start early so I'm not rushing for ideas. I was thinking of flaxseeds in my cookies or brownies so that I would be loading everyone up with some fiber. My boyfriend hates the idea of using flaxseeds but I want some thing I could easily add to the recipes without making people notice that I'm being health conscious.

I was also thinking about like a tuna or salmon stuffing for thanksgiving.

Do you have any suggestions of what you've done in the past or are planning to do?
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Last Thanksgiving/Christmas I was pretty hardcore paleo, which by definition includes only very nutrient-dense foods. Here are some lists of Thanksgiving recipes I remember from last year - including desserts! Of course, this way of eating tends to be a bit higher in fat than the average dieter wants to eat, but I'm sure you can lower the amount of fat in many of these.

http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot....nksgiving.html
http://robbwolf.com/2010/11/20/the-p...sgiving-links/
http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/11/give-thanks.html
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-c...iving-recipes/
http://cavemaneats.blogspot.com/2007...g-recipes.html

Last edited by mayness; 07-19-2011 at 09:32 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

In my fam with the bday and anniversaries and holidays we ramp it up in late Oct and do not stop til end of Jan. It took me five years to sort it out so I don't come out of that sprint gaining weight!

1) Do not bake. Ever. No cookies, cakes, bars, whatever. Other people can bake and I do not need to immerse myself in trigger foods at my house.

2) Combine celebrations. Rather than individual parties, go for the "birthday of the month" gathering. Then it's only one bday cake out to trip me up rather than 3 of them 3 weekends on a row!

3) Pick the one special thing -- be it the turkey, or the stuffing, or the duck or punch or finger food or dessert whatever to sample that someone ELSE made.

4) Bring EXTRA on plan things to the potlucks so even if everyone samples like crazy there's enough "safe food" for me. Even if I have to pack some away in a lunchbox.

5) Lie. When pressed to have something I do not want by the "food=love" people, I gush over how sweet they are and how yummy it looks and how I wish I could. But I can't because I'm diabetic/high cholesterol/full already/ feeling sick/drank too much -- whatever it is they will swallow so they leave me alone. It depends on the social gathering which I use.

6) Socialize, even if I have to fake it. Or go play with kids. Anything but be the wallflower hanging around the food table. This one stinks, because I tend toward the shy end of things.

7) Bring stuff to do to share -- games, coloring, whatever. Not just for my kid but for ME. Esp at Christmas -- having some holiday crafts helps keep the kids sane as well as me sane and away from the eats.

8) Say NO to some invites. Write a nice note of thanks and just stay home. Then we enjoy the ones we say yes to much more.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-19-2011 at 10:32 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

These seem like good ideas to me. I'm all for injecting a bit of health into the holidays!

The only advice I can give is to not fiber load things TOO much. Just because we're used to higher fiber doesn't mean others who will be eating the stuff we take are. I can remember when I first jacked up my fiber intake...I was "indisposed" for a while. Best to warn people if there's too much fiber, so they know what to expect...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Omg... I'm so going through all this ideas and thinking I need to cook now!

I'm going to try the tips with the gatherings. I always go to at least 2 thanksgiving feasts. I may end up eating little bits and then eating my emergency food in the car or something. Last year I totally caved with eating macaroni and cheese. I wish they were potluck events but they aren't.

Yes, my boyfriend's complaint was similar... It was my first idea. I remember when an acquaintance would bring extra sugary foods around that she wouldn't eat because she wanted everyone to gain weight (she did actually admit to it). I don't want people to have resentment towards me bringing healthy food. I will just try to be cordial and bring at least one thing that I know I can eat.

Last edited by liliesinmycereal; 07-19-2011 at 04:45 PM.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote