General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #1  
89lbs going, going...

S/C/G: 221/221/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and other Diet/Health shows

Has anyone watched this documentary? One of my friends sent me the trailer and I checked the movie out.

It's about this Aussie bloke who goes on a two month juice fast while he road trips across the USA. He looses 91lbs and inspires a bunch of people to go on a juice fast as well. After the fast he continues to eat healthy and excerise.

No my ideal diet and eating plan but it was an interesting film to watch.

Does anyone else watch TV shows and Documentaries like this to inspire them or give them ideas. I really liked watching a show called Supersize Superskinny that examined the eating habits of the seriously over and under weight.

I also remember watching a food culture documentary hosted by Alan Alda where he investigated the eating habits of Americans including everything from Native American traditional diets to marcobiotic raw diets.

I like learning about different food points. Does anyone else do this?
chubbycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #2  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Absolutely. I watch/read/listen to as much as I can relating to nutrition, health and exercise. I love learning new things and love learning about these topics from various perspectives. So I listen to some Paleo podcasts, some vegan podcasts, etc. I'll have to look for the ones you mentioned....I've actually heard a couple of different comments about that juice fast documentary today!
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

Hey fellow Canadians! Haha... and fellow Albertan! chubbycanuck I always try to catch Supersize vs. Superskinny, it's really interesting to see both sides of the spectrum. Another show from the UK, Embarrassing Fat Bodies, is an interesting one too - very graphic though. That documentary sounds really interesting, I'll try to get my hands on that.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

I just watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix the other day - it's on instant view right now. It was interesting... Nearly convinced me to buy a juicer But as I have reactive hypoglycemia I think removing all the fiber from what I eat and not having protein would be a bad, bad idea!

Another good one on Netflix is Food Matters... Ingredients is a documentary about local, organic, slow food which is interesting. Fat Head is a rebuttal to Super Size Me and makes some great points. All those are documentaries available on Netflix instant for the Americans (I understand you can't do Netflix in Canada).

I love watching documentaries about food.... Food Inc, King Corn... There are so many and I'm forgetting them now. It's fascinating watching the dysfunction of the modern food industry...
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I like to study nutrition for fun, so I've watched a lot of documentaries.

I loved King Corn, Fat Head, and Food, Inc.

I tried to watch Food Matters but right toward the beginning someone said something very woo-woo about cooking being unhealthy because it "destroys enzymes" and I got pissed and turned it off. Maybe later they prove that guy wrong, but it was just really off from what I was expecting and it turned me off from watching the movie.

This is on Youtube so you might have to watch it on a computer or something, but Sugar: The Bitter Truth is fantastic. There's lots of biochemistry so I'd imagine it's a little heavy for the average person, but it's very interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #6  
89lbs going, going...

S/C/G: 221/221/145

Height: 5'6"

I am definately going to check out Food Matters. I loved Food. Inc but it was really um... eye opening!

Im going to check out King Corn and Fat Head to, thanks for the suggestions!
chubbycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Mayness, no one comes around to contradict that guy He's some worldwide expert on raw/vegan/etc, so that is his dearly held belief!

You really should give Food Matters a second chance though! It was really interesting. The main point is talking about how modern medicine routinely fails us, and how we should look to what we are putting in our bodies in order to promote health. Doctors aren't trained in nutrition, but nutrition plays a HUGE role in health. Lots of talk about vitamins and whatnot. It definitely inspired me to start taking my vitamins again and have done so every morning since I watched it I highly recommend giving it another shot!
abluvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Good to know, abluvion... I'll put it back on the Netflix queue and give it another chance!
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

What's funny is that I had just put Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead in my Netflix instant queue just days before this thread was created. I have felt my motivation waning the last few days, so I decided to watch it today.

Wow - super motivating movie!
Makes me want to try it to kick things into gear. I don't have a juicer, but I may think about getting one soon. Meanwhile, my motivation is back. So thanks for that!
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 AM   #10  
banned

I love watching documentaries on food, exercise, and eating in general. I just watched one on eating disorders yesterday called "Thin". It was sad, but good.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

I watched Food Matters yesterday too, and liked it quite a bit. There was one guy on there that was a bit "off"(I think it's the "woo-woo" guy mayness mentioned), but otherwise, fantastic movie.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/210/130

Height: 5'5"

Thank you Mayness, very interesting video.
swansong56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #13  

Height: 5'3"

I am a third of the way through the documentary right now (Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead) and I am already inspired....and as I am watching it I cannot help thinking about my older sister who died at age 62 on February 17 2010 in a hospital room weighing over 650 pounds....and sadly I am headed down the same path at the age of 49.

I am glad that I clicked on this thread because it made me curious enough to go find the movie.

Last edited by canadianwoman; 07-23-2011 at 03:47 PM.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/265.4/170

Height: 5'9"

I saw this movie on instant Netflix as well (Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead) It hit home for me. My mom has diabetes and doesn't have health insurance. I told her about the doc and told her I wanted to try it. She thought I was nuts. I had her watch it with me and it changed her mind.
I am borrowing a friends juicer and am on Day 9!! I've lost more weight in the 9 days than I did working out for a month! 9 Days ago I weight 278. Today I'm down to 265. I can't remember seeing those numbers on a scale with ME standing on it! Don't get me wrong, it's tough the first few days but it's getting easier! There's at least 1 thought a day where I want to give up. But the progress is so great I don't want to throw it away! If anyone decides to start it, make sure you start on your days off from work. You'll be grumpy and really hungry and tired. Do light exercising. Drink lots of water! And good luck!!
mgauuril58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgauuril58 View Post
I saw this movie on instant Netflix as well (Fat, Sick, And Nearly Dead) It hit home for me. My mom has diabetes and doesn't have health insurance. I told her about the doc and told her I wanted to try it. She thought I was nuts. I had her watch it with me and it changed her mind.
I am borrowing a friends juicer and am on Day 9!! I've lost more weight in the 9 days than I did working out for a month! 9 Days ago I weight 278. Today I'm down to 265. I can't remember seeing those numbers on a scale with ME standing on it! Don't get me wrong, it's tough the first few days but it's getting easier! There's at least 1 thought a day where I want to give up. But the progress is so great I don't want to throw it away! If anyone decides to start it, make sure you start on your days off from work. You'll be grumpy and really hungry and tired. Do light exercising. Drink lots of water! And good luck!!
Great advice. Thank you. I plan on trying it as soon as I purchase a juicer.
At this point I have nothing to lose....except the fat.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote