Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #1  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Very needy cat?

One of my two cats has been very needy over the past few days and I have no idea why, but I was hoping someone here might have some thoughts?

He tends to be pretty loving in general, and usually wants to lay next to my husband or I (or on top of one of us if laying on the couch) for a while in the evenings. When we go to bed, he sometimes wants to cuddle, but that usually lasts only a short while and then he does his own thing for the rest of the night. The past few days, though, he has been by my side almost constantly it seems, and it's been just me - not my husband. Next to me, at my feet, on top of me, laying two feet away while I cook, etc., all.the.time. This "morning" (I woke up much too early), he jumped up on the bed as soon as I opened my eyes, and wedged himself between my shoulder and the pillow and pressed the side of his face against mine, purring like crazy.

I'm worried that all this lovey-ness might mean he's sick or something, as he tends to be one who will seek me out rather than hide when he's upset or nervous. We've had some rain and storms lately, and those always scare him a lot - he always wants to be pressed against me or wants me to hold him when it's storming. But the neediness has lasted well outside of those times over the past 4 days or so.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be going on?
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

How is your kitty's appetite? Is he urinating and defecating normally? Any signs of illness like runny eyes or nose or sneezing, is he wandering around acting lost and crying alot? Keep in mind that your kitty could be responding to a need that you have too - are you feeling okay? Our beloved fur kids can be very empathetic when we are sick ( or about to get sick) or feeling blue, and maybe your weather is in for a change back to storms...it is really hard to say. Once you have ruled out signs of physical illness in your kitty, then just enjoy the attention and give it in return and you will both benefit.
Tea Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/183/150

Height: 5'8"

My cat is also extremely needy. Not sure why, I'm guessing she was abandoned by her mother and has never gotten over it. Kit is very vocal at all times...when I wake up, when i'm walking around the apartment and when i get home from class. Probably needs a friend, but for the near future, its just me and her :/
maita88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

A couple years ago my kitty died and my other one became very clingy several months later. She had lived with the other cat for all her 8 years. I think they can become emotionally distraught sometimes. She would jump on my lap and want to be held in my arms... very unusual for her. After some time she settled down.

Something is going on but it's hard to say what. Any changes in the house lately? Perhaps it is health related. I would just keep on eye on her to make sure she is eating, drinking and using the litter box normally.

Keep us updated!
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #5  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I completely forgot that I had posted about this. Thank you so much for your replies and thoughts, and I'm sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner.

I think that my cat might, as you all suggested, have been responding to myself, my husband and things in his/our environment. My husband ended up in the hospital for 5 days beginning a few days after my original post, so it may be that our cat was sensing my husband's poor health before it was apparent to us and was seeking comfort and reassurance. I, too, have had some health issues the past month that resulted in a major surgery 2.5 weeks ago, and my cat has been very "attentive" thoughout this time.

I think it seemed odd to me because our other cat, and all cats I've had previously, seemed pretty independent - but this cat seems to want more and more attention as he gets older (he's about 11 years old now). His appetite and litter box habits have all stayed the same though, and a recent routine vet visit showed no problems, so I think I'll just cuddle more and worry less.

Thank you very much for your advice.

maita - I think a friend for your kitty could help enormously if you could manage it!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Glad to hear all is well. Thanks for the update.
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Sounds like you have a wonderful kitty friend!
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote