Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Cool This is going to be hard.

Hi everybody,

Ubergirl here. Some of you old timers remember me. I lost 110 lbs starting in June 2009. I overhauled my entire life too, started running and went from complete couch potato to running and daily exercise.

Unfortunately, my big weight loss plan coincided with many other major life stressors. In September I moved my entire family from our home of ten years, my kids started new schools, my husband started commuting, and I started a brand new job with a schedule I wasn't used to and a lot of stress.

I held my own in spite of the stress until about January, then slipped up, then got back on track. Five weeks ago, we moved again (out of temporary housing into a permanent home) but I also lost access to the gym I had been using.

I've had to work all summer while the rest of my family has vacationed. (my husband is a teacher.) While they were away at the beach, I used the excuse that I was feeling stressed and sorry for myself to go hog wild. I literally ate two entire sheet cakes. BINGE CITY.

This morning, I stepped on the scale. I've adjusted my ticker. I've called the gym and made an appointment to join.

So, I'm not as thin as I was this time last year (my all time low was 187)

On the other hand, I still weigh less than I had previously weighed any time in the past twenty years-- prior to my weight loss, my all time low was 230, back in the early 90s.

I am a stress eater, and what I've realized is that I basically give myself permission to binge because a) I can restart tomorrow and b) I'm still not as fat as I used to be.

This morning, I weighed 217. On 5/28, the last time I weighed in, I weighed 204. I had previously bounced all the way up to 215 in late April and then gotten back down.

My family is away AGAIN, but this time I have bought healthy food and am going to stay away from the grocery store.

One day at a time. My goal, for now, is to make it through today.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #2  
Hoping for 160 by NYE!

S/C/G: 323/ticker/150

Height: 5'7

You did it once, you can absolutely do it again! Hope you can overcome the stress eating for good...That's a HUGE one for me too!
sevencallmemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I hear ya. I've given myself permission to binge for all kinds of reasons in addition to the ones you listed... my dog had cancer, or I'm really busy, or I just want to, darn it!

In the end, I know that's not a successful strategy. Certainly not the quote in my siggie "Commitment to conscious control"... but "choices sure do have consequences"! I had lost 125 pounds or so and gained back 50!

I finally have the right "head space". I started a 100-day on plan challenge, and it's helped me get back on track.

Sadly, your story is an all-too-common one. The good news is that you CAN get back on track!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Uber, you're one of the strongest chicks I know. You can SO do this!
goodforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #5  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

Thank you for sharing. Sometimes it seems (to me) as though you have to be perfect to lose weight. I know you will get those additional pounds off because you've done it already, and knowing that means that there is hope for me.
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Good for you for getting back in the saddle...you've done it once and you can do it again! That is a lot of stress....and oh my having your family on vacation while you work would tick me off big time! Anyhow we're here for you!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

We all know where you're coming from, regardless of the point of the journey we're in. Most of us know what it's like to make excuses to not do what we know is best for us.

You've done it once, which proves you CAN do it, and you sound determined and focused, which is wonderful! It stinks that your family is away, but you can use that to your advantage by experimenting with new foods/meals and not worrying what everyone else is going to want, etc- you can go to the gym at your convenience and not around their schedule. You can do this!!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

You are very wise to recognize old patterns and to put a stop to them. I think we need to have compassion for ourselves especially during times of stress and when we slip up.

I too am a stress eater and one thing I have noticed is I eat to distract myself from what I am feeling. Sometimes we are so scared to feel the emotions that come up that we distract ourselves hoping the emotion goes away. The problem is that not only does that not work but it causes more pain and suffering and adds to the intensity of the emotion.

I have been trying to accept my emotions and feel them and not try to push them away. Yes some are pretty intense like abandonment, fear of losing my son (I lost my first born daughter at birth and this is a common feeling for me when my son gets any kind of illness) I am also trying to come to the understanding that there is nothing wrong with me and I am a whole person now not just when I reach "perfection"

Also I try to find other stress release that are not food like napping, exercising, writing, knitting, etc.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Gained back weight? Oh yeah. Been there. Done that.

You've caught it. You're managing it. That's progress!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #10  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

Proud of you for coming back and getting back at it again!!
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #11  
Asses 2 Ash/Guts 2 Dust

S/C/G: 292/ticker/175

JamiSue3916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #12  
GettingHealthier

S/C/G: 278/256/145ish

The re-gain is a common story. What is less common, however, is catching it as early as you have and being super determined to fix it. Yay for that!

I remember making a million excuses to myself when I was re-gaining weight. They all made sense at the time. Yet, even the best excuse didn't stop me from getting fat again.

So hooray to both you and Heather for not waiting until you gained all of it back (and more) before re-committing. So great to have you here.
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Uber, I remember you, and had occasionally wondered how you were doing. I'm glad you're back! I think putting one foot in front of the other right now, day by day, is a good plan.

You know how to do this. It may not be easy, but it's been done once, and you can do it again!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Welcome back! I remember you -- and good for you for taking action!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM   #15  
*~ZUMBA~*

S/C/G: 324/197/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophronia View Post
I remember making a million excuses to myself when I was re-gaining weight. They all made sense at the time. Yet, even the best excuse didn't stop me from getting fat again.
I want to remember this quote!
dewdrop1970 is offline   Reply With Quote