Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 09:51 AM   #1  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Default **Kid Chat: Week of June 8th**

Hello Moms!!

I hope the sun is shining where you are!! I can't believe it's actually sunny here! Soo many things to do, soo little time...you never know when it's gonna start raining again!

Peter's still sick...I broke down and bought some Infant Pediacare yesterday. Not sure if it's helping yet...I guess it may take a good 24 hrs. or so? I'm giving him 0.8 ml (one dropper). He's been really gassy too, and I'm sure it's my fault, because he's been almost exclusively nursing for the past week or so...really since I've been home. He's only gotten a few bottles. Not that I'm not loving him nursing all the time, and barely any bottle to wash, and no pumping, but he's nursing constantly, like every 1 1/2 hrs. or so!! Last night he was in bed be 8:45, up at 12:15, 3:15, 4:00 (never really went back to sleep after 3:15) and 7:00!! I need sleep!!

Adrienne- Any tips on travelling with a baby?? We're driving down to Florida on Friday for a week at DH's Nana's. We've gotta drive straight through, can't afford to stay over anywhere. We're gonna leave at around 7:00 PM, so hopefully Peter will sleep a good portion of the night. Then I guess we'll be stopping every 3 hrs. or so to feed and change him...ugh! I'll bring the kid's music CD's I have...not that he really cares about them, but it may help. I'm assuming I'll be spending most of the ride in the back seat entertaining him!

Vicki- How are Kaylee's ears doing now? Is she back to her old self...or should I say, is she like a new baby?!

Karen- How's Alex? Is he stil stuffy? Being high maintenence? Gee, if I don't get that job and I'm still out of work after I get back from FL, maybe we should get together and commiserate over our cranky babies?!

Well, Peter's sleeping...for now...until his coughing wakes him up, so I'm gonna try and have breakfast and maybe a shower!

Have a great day all!
Old 06-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #2  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Good Morning!!!

Lauren--Let me know about kid traveling!!! We are leaving in 3 weeks for a 20 hr drive to Michigan!!!Yeah, Kaylee is a new baby..Yesterday, at Walmart, she was laughing and grinning every time something was scanned and it went beep..It was the first time she did that..Even daycare is saying she is the best baby ever..the report Friday was "silly and giggling all day"
THe brown goop is still running from her left ear..Really nasty but soo glad it is out!!!I am sorry but no sympathy about the sleep issue!!! We go to bed at 8pm and up at 11:00, 1:00, 3:30 and 5:00 etc etc..It is making me crazy!!!

Confession:Kaylee fell out of my bed this week..I cried and felt horrible..I left for one minute to get more coffee and when I reached the hallway, I heard her scream..I almost threw up when I looked to grab her from the bed and she wasnt there....My bed is low and I have carpet soo no marks!!!

Well gotta run!!!Damage control with SD#2!~~
RR
Old 06-09-2003, 07:53 AM   #3  
LBH

Hey,

I'm ready to shoot myself...Peter is being soo fussy, cranky...horrible!! Last night he fell asleep at my mom's...crying...around 8:00, went right back asleep when DH put him in his crib, woke up at 1:30, ate, wouldn't go back to sleep until almost 3, then back awake at 6:00...and has stayed awake! Now he's whining in his exersaucer. I'm going to call the nurse today and see what to do. I know she's gonna say nothing. It's days like this I don't want to be a mommy. I'm soo tired and mentally exhausted. I love him to death, but I just wanna cry. At least it's supposed to be nice out today, so I can take him for a walk...or two or three.

RR- Glad Kaylee's a new baby! Glad she didn't hurt herself falling off the bed too! Babies are soo strong.

Have a good day....I'm counting down the time to 9:00 so I can put him down for a nap...hopefully a good one!!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:27 PM   #4  

Lauren - with regards to traveling... sounds like you have the basics covered. Trying to do as much driving at night as possible is a good thing. We took the twins to my grandparents house when they were, um, lets see, they were 4 months old. We left around 4:00 or so in the afternoon and got there about 1:00 in the morning. The greatest part was that my grandparents took over the child care for us and we slept in. It was wonderful. But even by that point, my kids were sleeping a good 6-8 hours at night. Lauren, my husband and I weren't the best at "daytime" routines, but we had a very good plan for the nights. Every night at 6:30 we'd start the "bedtime" ritual. We'd do bath, jammies, then a book and by 8:00 we'd put them in bed. From that point on, NO LIGHTS and we did not remove them from their room. If one woke up... we'd go to the fridge, warm the bottle and bring it to their room. We had a night light on all the time. I didn't talk to them, I didn't even look them in the eye most of the time. I didn't play with them - nothing. It was quiet and dark. I'd burp them, change them and put them right back in their cribs. By 4 motnhs they were going 6-8 hours, and by 6 months, through the night. You might want to look at how your nighttime "routine" is helping or hurting his learned sleeping habits.

Oh, and I'm sending your stuff tomorrow - I didn't make it to the post office on Friday and my work week changed a bit this week!

RR -my son rolled off the couch once - scared the crap out of me. I set him too close to the edge, he was only a month old! Also, I did what we all KNOW we're not supposed to do - I put my son in the basket part of the grocery cart at Toys R Us one day (remember, I have twins, so my daughter was in the front part strapped in.) My son stood up while I was looking at something and within a split second he flipped out of the cart and landed on his head. He was like 9 months old. I cried and cried and took him to the doctor and he was perfectly fine. But I just felt awful. I was so thankful nothing happened. Stuff like that happens too often. Kids are REALLY resilient. Now my kids are climbing over the tops of the couches, launching their little bodies onto the floor and they think it's FUNNY. Every day I'm amazed they aren't snapping thier necks in two. Hang in there.

I took my kids to the zoo today. Chaos, of course, and they're still really too young to get much out of it. Most of the animals were on the other side of their pens so my kids couldn't really see them. We did ride on the train and they loved that! I packed a lunch and we ate there and now they're napping well.

Have a nice week, ladies!
Old 06-09-2003, 07:05 PM   #5  
LBH

Ear infection!! Whew...I am actually relieved it's an ear infection!! It's in his right side. Just got home and p/u his Lorabid... i think it's called. Gave him a dose, so now i have to wait an hour to feed him. i soo hope he's feeling better by morning!

A, night time ritual is pretty down pat, around 7:30 bath, jammies, boob, and bed by 8:30.

argh...gotta go...
Old 06-09-2003, 09:39 PM   #6  
Moderator - 30 Somethings

hi guys,

well, the visit with my parents was nice. they left this am. aj did not sleep at all well the past two nites. i wish we could get into a nighttime routine. heck, i'd be happy if he would just sleep in his own bed the time that he does sleep. any suggestions? last nite i threatened to run away and leave him with dh. he was not amused at all.

lauren: oh, yuck!! but at least you know what it is and can give meds to get it better. hope he feels better by the time you leave.

rr: i'm terrified of the first fall. i just hope it's not from my bed. it's 4 feet high and i have wooden floors. glad she did not get hurt.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:12 PM   #7  
LBH

Karen, Glad you had a nice visit with your parents. Give it time, he's only a little over a month old! The way we got Peter sleeping in his bassinet was to make sure he was warm enough. I don't think you'd have that problem now, but maybe swaddle him up good, so he feels secure? Do you have a bassinet, or are you trying to get him in the crib? If you don't have a bassinet, I'd be happy to lend you ours. He may feel more comfy in a smaller surround. I didn't force Peter into a schedule. I watched to see what kind of schedule he was on. Eventually I decided to put him down around 8:30-9. Then I started giving him a bath at night, since I had to go back to work, which associated bath and bedtime. Even now, while he's sick, he's still pretty much going down around the same time. Tonight he went down around 9:00. Eventually AJ will get himself into a routine. Just try and do things the same every night, that will help.

Adrienne, I do the same thing during the night, I don't make eye contact, no talking, no playing. I do what i have to, and back to bed...DH can't seem to though. Unfortunately there's nowhere to sit in his room, so I have to bring him out to the LR to nurse him. We just have night lights though. Thanks! I'll be watching for the package!
I can't wait til Peter's old enough to enjoy the zoo! We're just looking forward to seeing how he is in the pool at Nana's!

Have a great evening all! I'm hoping for a peaceful night's sleep and a good day tomorrow!
Old 06-10-2003, 07:31 AM   #8  
Working on Weight loss!!!

Kaylee slept from 8PM until 1am and then 1 am until 4:40!!!!Yeah!!!!! I feel sooo much better!!!
SHe had 6 loose stools, bad diaper rash and nothing but wet drool all day yesterday and a low grade temp..Maybe a first tooth soon????

Lauren--I hope that package makes it there before friday???

Karen--THings will get better..Make sure he is wrapped tightly!! That is the only thing that worked with my dirty shirt from the dayin the bassinet!!!
RR
Old 06-10-2003, 07:46 AM   #9  
LBH

RR, YEAH!! Peter did pretty good last night too...9:00 to 3:30, and he's just started squirming at 7:30...gotta go get him!

Tracking says it should be here tomorrow! I just checked and it hasn't been updated since it left Atlanta on the 7th.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:42 AM   #10  
LBH

RR- It came last evening! Wow, you really did get a lot of stuff! Peter's gonna be in overalls every day!! I'm going to wash it all today so I can pack for FL. Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2003, 02:45 PM   #11  

Hi guys,

Just a quickie. Baby boy is crying in the swing!!

Lauren: We have a bassinett and a pack'nplay. Neither one works well. Niether does the car seat. I've tried everything. Including swaddling tightly and my dirty shirt in the bassinet. We tried last night from 10:30 to 1:00. I finally gave in and held him. I just worry so about squishing him.

OK, gotta go. His little face is turning red. Have a great day.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #12  
LBH

Hey All,

Had a gift card with some money left on it for TRU, so I went and got a doorway jumper! Peter's in it right now, and he seems to like it! Wait til he figures out it goes up and down, not just around in circles! He's just hanging out, going in circles, watching the cat!

Karen, sorry you're having such troubles getting him to sleep. Is he "colicky"? Don't forget I spent the first three months holding Peter, walking the floors until he'd cry himself to sleep. Fortunately it was only in the evenings most of the time, not overnight. Have you tried running the vacuum next to his bassinett? Peter would go from screaming to silence as soon as we turned the vacuum on! If you leave it on long enough, he may go to sleep!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:01 AM   #13  

Hi guys,

Lauren: Hope you are having a safe trip and a wonderful holiday. Alex sleeps fine just as long as I am holding him or he is lying against me preferably with a nip in his mouth. I just don't sleep well that way 'cause I am scared of rolling on him or smothering him. That's why I want to get him into his bassinet or crib. Right this moment he is napping in his crib. (YEAH!!)

RR: How are things going your way? How are the ears??

Adrienne: How are your kiddies?

OK, being paged. Nap didn't last long. Have a great day guys.
Closed Thread