General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Default Shaving Legs with Sensitive Skin

I know you ladies are often great with this type of stuff I could use some tips and product recommendations.

Previously, I shaved them about once a week. My semi-sensitive skin is pale, freckly and little red bump prone, though not prone to product irritation. I seldom make it through a shaving without at least a little knick.

In college I shaved daily. I did it In the morning, in the bathroom sink with hot water. I alternated calves and knees one day with thighs the next. This was 2 years ago and I didn't have much trouble. I also religiously moisturized my body. Doing myself head to toe practically every day.

Now that I'm feeling thinner (recently hit ONEderland), I've been trying to get into this daily leg shaving routine again. It's not going well. Today I got crazy razor burn all over my legs (I'm pretty sure I had a bad razor though).

I'm wondering if moisturizing daily again will do the trick.

Some other notes

I usually do mine in the sink. I know it's weird but I hate leaving the water running in the shower to clean my razor. Also if I leave the shower on it usually sprinkles on my leg rinsing off the cream. I like resting my leg on the higher sink. I go against the grain. I've tried going with the grain and it doesn't work well.

Last edited by Scarlett; 07-14-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #2  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

I'm the same - pale, freckled, sensitive. Bumps and razor burn are so much more noticeable when your skin is white or pink. At the drug store I got shaving cream for sensitive skin made by Noxema. I've also had to try different razors because I seem to react differently to some. For me, Bic Soleil are the worst. Most others are okay. I use a loofah with some body wash and scrub a bit first although doing that daily might irritate your skin a bit. I also find that putting moisturizer on straight after makes it 1000x worse. If I do moisturize, I do it before bed (having showered the previous morning).
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I have the worst skin ever.. Ingrown hair, razor bun & eczema, ugh. What works best for me is to use a electric razor like Panasonic curve because they do not shave too close.

I have also heard that the new Nair works really well. Also if you can find a Indian salon, they wax legs for $30-40 which will keep your legs hair-free for a couple of months.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I use a shaving lotion called Gilette Satin Care sensitive skin. I use it in the shower every other day on my legs.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #5  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

I still shave my underarms and other stray hairs that dare to grow in unmentionable places, but for my legs? I just let them grow out and then use the Nair Hair Remover, which you just pat onto your legs and then use a cloth to wipe the hair off. And yes, they come off! Afterwards, my legs are so smooth! I'm totally addicted to doing it this way now. I figured, why in the world am I killing my legs shaving so much when I don't date? LOL
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #6  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Shave with conditioner instead of shaving cream! It does the same thing as shaving cream by softening the hairs, but it has more slip so the razor glides more easily over the skin.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

thanks for the replies guys, some great suggestions

NemesisClaws - haha the point of this is that I want to start dating though. I just feel so much sexier when my legs are smooth.

aliquot - I'll try that. sounds like a good idea and I don't need to invest in a new product. Thanks alot.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #8  
back to square 1(70)

S/C/G: 176/170/150

Height: 5'5.5''

nina123 - how long should your hair be to wax it?
ahyessophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquot View Post
Shave with conditioner instead of shaving cream! It does the same thing as shaving cream by softening the hairs, but it has more slip so the razor glides more easily over the skin.
That's what I do, too! Most of my skin isn't that sensitive, but my legs don't react well to shaving. I just buy the absolute cheapest conditioner at the store, whatever junk costs $0.79 a bottle that week, Suave or whatnot. If your skin is sensitive to fragrances/colors you might have to be more picky though.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #10  
Zombie Girl

S/C/G: 460/455/190

Height: 5'6"

I have your typical sensitive skin. I break out from the wrong type of lotions or soaps even! Instead of shaving I use an epilator.

The epilator is much like waxing, but you use a small hand held machine to do it. They're about 50 bucks (us) for a good one, but I've had mine for about 3 years. You can also use it on your under arms, public region or where ever you need. The hair only needs to be about 1/5th of an inch to do it.

Like waxing it pulls the hair out from the skin by the roots. So it takes a while for the hair to grow back. Since I live in Florida it's always hot and therefore I am always in shorts. I normally shave every 2 days, if I use a razor but with the epilator I do it once a month or month and a half and I'm good.

Also, since I have been using it so long I have noticed a decrease of hair growth in certain area. ( This is common with epilators. ) Like my legs went from sasquatch to pretty not hairy.

The bad point, if youre prone to ingrown hairs you might get a few. But I find as long as you exfoilate before use of one then a few days after you really don't have to worry. They also sell creams to help prevent this problem as well.
zombiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquot View Post
I used to do this too, until I got a very painful, itchy rash. When I went to the doctor, she said it was a fungal infection from shaving incorrectly. While the conditioner makes your skin smooth, it makes the hair follicles lay flat, which means you have to use use more force with your razor, which means you have a bigger chance of nicking the skin, or removing more skin cells and allowing bacteria or fungi into your skin.
I had to use an antifungal cream for weeks to get rid of it, and wasn't allowed to shave in the meantime. I use shave gel or foam for sensitive skin, or Nair and it works great.
I'm sure lots of people will disagree with me, but I just wanted to let you know what happened to me. Good luck!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #12  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Thumbs up

I have sensitive skin as used to get tons of painful nicks. Now I use a CVS generic body gel wash, and Bic Silky Touch stick/slim disposable shavers. I have less nicks and if I do get a nicks, they aren't nearly as painful as when I used the blue Venus- OUCH with the Venus, never again there!

I may have to try the conditioner approach!

thanks for this
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I've given up on de-hairing my legs. I used to use an epilator, but then my general pain levels increased and I found that my legs would hurt for over a week after using it. Then I would shave my legs every now and again, but after a while I found that shaving left my legs hurting for the next few days as well. My partner's mother's wedding is coming up in November and I will have to work something out by then. Although you never know, they're about to put me on rather scary pain meds, and if I can survive them, then they might help with the skin pain as well. Also I'm going to try biotin for the seborrhoeic eczema soon, that might help too.

Good tip about not moisturising until hours later, thanks for that.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Shaving..I always found if I exfoliated my skin first I got a better shave and with less bumps.

I have had my legs (and other parts) lasered now and it has absolutely revolutionized my life! Lasers are better and cheaper than ever. Also, there is a home laser available now called Tria. The reviews are good and I think it can be purchased at Nordstrom.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote