Old 07-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Height: 5'6

Default Cheat Day anyone?

So heres my question..... do any of you have a a cheat day? I know this sounds counter productive, but I want to enjoy life with fine dining ever so often. So, what do you guys think? When I was thin, I always had a day in the week where anything went, as long as it wasn't a binge. Anyone else do this? Thanks Guys? BTW... I know that I will get right back on the wagan the next day. I do not have a problem with that
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/266/180

Height: 5'11"

I worked with a trainer (back when I was fit) and he thought a cheat day was nessisary. 1 out of every 7 days- keep in mind that that included 5 days a week of cardio.

I could do a cheat meal but not a cheat day or that day kept going for me. what ever works for you.
nomorexcuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

I discovered cheat days for me erased all the hard work I put into my weight loss- I just couldn't help but get over excited about all the treats i could eat in one day!!! What works for me instead is allowing myself treats that i would spread around different meals of the week, that way I dont have to get it in in one day, a situation that only fed my 'frenzy'.
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I do a cheat meal now, about 1x a week, but not a cheat day. And it's still healthy food and I count the calories. It's more like I order a normal healthy looking entree at a restaurant without having them remove the sauce and maybe have a roll. Nothing major.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

There has been a lot of discussion here about cheat meals and cheat days, some for and some against. I find when I'm watching my calories closely that a day of CONTROLLED extra calories helps keep me from feeling deprived and hungry. I was also told by a WW leader several years ago that it helps rev your metabolism because your body gets used to a certain number of calories and adjusts accordingly. But be careful with this! It's very easy for a cheat meal to turn into a cheat day into going off plan entirely. I've also found that if I'm watching the scale closely my weight after the extra calories will either stay the same or go up for a few days and then show a good loss on my "official" weigh in day. Hope this helps.
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #6  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I've not done it yet - but I'm craving these really nice cookies. And I know if I go buy them and allow myself a treat, the whole pack is going to be gone. Which is not what I intend to do.

So, how do you control yourself even on a treat day, if you have brought foods that are a risk to overeating into your house for the treatday? I just wouldn't know how to do that! The "oh, just one, just once" thought no longer holds any value to me as I know it has been a lie many of times.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/242/168

Height: 5ft 7

I will be having my first cheat day today. I am going out for a night on the town with my friends and it will be the first time in months!! I did consider just drinking juice while I was out but I think I have enough restrictions in my day to day life and I am going to allow myself to have whatever I want and not feel bad about it. That is not to say that I won't feel terrible about it tomorrow but I am taking this as a reward to myself for all my hard work.
niknaknat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #8  

I always have a cheat day. When I first lost a lot of weight I did it following the Body for Life program. Go hard all week and then one day on the weekend I ate whatever I want. I still do it, but only if I've eaten healthy all week
Eruanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #9  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

I used to have a cheat day but it was a disaster. When I cheated, I CHEATED. I easily hit 3000 cals. I was totally mindless with my eating that i had to cut it out altogether. I just have higher cal days (1800-2000) and some lower cal days (1300-1500).
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Yes I do have a cheat day I personally need it. I don't go overboard on my cheat day but I do have something that I have been craving. Having a cheat day helps me stay focused for the rest of the week because it gives me something to look forward to if I've been good.
Sabletora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:44 AM   #11  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Wink

I don't have a cheat day anymore now but I do take the advice of a former trainer too, which is a "sanity meal" where I let myself have what I would like for that meal. Then, right back on track. I found cheat days a little excessive for me and also as the trainer pointed out to me, the word cheat kinda has a negative connotation, at least to me now...

good luck!!
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 249.2/on hold/166

Height: 5'5"

I have a splurge meal every 5th day. My nutritionist advised me to do this. I don't go insane and usually only end up eating an extra 200-500 cals for the day. I eat whatever I want for that meal. I record everything I eat even on my splurge meal day. Today is a splurge meal and I do look forward to it but this is the first time I don't have anything in mind before hand.
butterflymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

I have a cheat meal once a week and it still has some limits - eg eat a "bad for you" entree that I've been wanting like pad thai. OR have a healthy entree with a dessert. OR go out for fruity mixed drinks and eat healthily otherwise.

I had to stop viewing it as an entirely free pass for anything and recognize that it will help curb certain cravings, but I can't get in all my cravings in one day. And I still guesstimate the calories, and try not to go over 2,000 for the day.

It also helps me feel less guilty / stressed about events like weddings, birthdays, etc, because I can just plan my cheat meal around it and not be agonizing over how much I'm going to eat, or where I'm going to get healthy food, etc.
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #14  
The Awesomeness!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

I don't do a cheat day, but a cheat meal every week. I still eat healthy on the day of my cheat meal and I keep my calories low enough that I don't go over 2000.
KittyKat1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/180/144

Thanks so much for all the input. Well, I did end up going a little overbourd.... but I woke up this morning and went right back on my plan. Next week will be different. I think I might just have a bit of a cheat meal and see how I feel about that! Thanks Again Amigos!!!
Shmoops is offline   Reply With Quote