Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #33

Good morning all. Another early morning for me. I hate it when Fortune rousts me out of bed so early, but I guess if you have to go, you have to go. Then of course it isn't long and he wants to eat, then back outside to go again, sheesh.

Did you all read the article about the little Hasidic Jewish boy who was murdered in New York? He was in his neighborhood, which is very tight knit community and walking from camp I think they said. He is partially autistic and stopped a man and asked directions as he got confused. I guess the guy was caught on a camera talking to him, having him wait outside a dentist's office then back on camera with him walking off. The cops went to this guy's door yesterday and ask where he was and he pointed to the kitchen. The refrigerator had blood all over it and inside were carving knives, cutting board all bloody and the boy's feet. I guess he told them where the rest of the body parts were. This reprehensible piece of garbage used to live in Memphis I guess. The guy is also an Orthodox Jew but not a Hasidic Jew. Vile, just vile.

Well, the good news is I have started the sweater for myself. The bad news is when I got the bag that had the yarn, pattern and partially done sweater, it was missing page 2 and 3, which is the body of the sweater. I hunted up the pattern again, but when I clicked on the free link it went to the website and said it was no longer available, but would be available soon for purchase. I raised the roof and emailed them about it as I am not paying for a pattern that was initially free. I have never heard back so I ripped what I had done already and found a different pattern and started it last night.

Jean: I have never found anything with regards to kids' toys I have wanted at Walmart's, but then when we went to Toys R Us to get Jackson's scooter they didn't have it either and I had to get it online so I give up shopping for toys anywhere but online anymore. My bras are getting too big, but I am not buying new ones for quite awhile. I am not going to waste money that I will eventually have to get rid of as I get smaller so will just "slop" around in the ones I have for now. I hope when you do make the cookies you like them. They are not the recipe of my grandma's but I went through tons of cookbooks and cookie cookbooks to find that one and it was a "hermit" recipe without the coffee so I added coffee. I have only made them once as Jack doesn't like them and neither do the kids so I would be left eating them all myself, which is ok, but no so much with WW!

Maggie: I haven't made homemade bread in a long time. I have a brand new bread machine, but the one time I made it, the dough was like soup. I miss my old panasonic bread machine. It always worked great. I just need to fool with this one, but never feel like messing with it.

Susan and Gail: Hope you gals are doing well.

We had shrimp scampi and rice last night, but I can't decide what to pull out of the freezer. Maybe some gr sirloin and have some plain ole hamburgers tonight. We rarely have them now. Maybe Jack would put them out on the grill, but then it is so very hot here and he always seems dragging when he gets home that I imagine I will just put them in the broiler. Have a good day today everyone. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 AM   #2  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning Magnolias! I feel better now about things so I'm going to jump in here as it is the start of a new thread.

Donna, my Mom gave me a Panasonic Bread Baker about 15 years ago and its still making wonderful loaves of bread! I love it but I usually don't make bread (its not like I'm doing any of the work right?!) in the summer for some reason. That is a shame about your sweater pattern. I agree with you, why on earth would you pay for something that was offered as free?! As slow as I knit it would be at least 3 or 4 years before I would finish knitting a sweater! You are like another fellow knitter I know--she can just churn out those knitted items in no time flat! I'm still knitting on that lacy scarf/shawl I began after I attended the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival back in May! I have two pairs of socks I need to finish. And I think there is a scarf on needles still. Last night I did start knitting a dish cloth....which is always a good sign for me because that means I'm getting back to knitting. I tend to take a hiatus from knitting from time to time. I had heard about the little boy in New York...which is so sad. There are no words to express the awfulness of the whole thing. Shrimp scampi and rice sounds wonderful. I love shrimp. I love rice. I love food!

Today the weather is going to be nice. In the low 80's. I have a few errands to run but I'm thinking I'll take my walk in the park in the evening.

So far it looks like my FIL is returning to Virginia on Saturday. He is much better and is getting stronger everyday...thankfully. It's his attitude that has made it a difficult experience....well, along with a few other things that I won't speak of.... Wayne and I have really tried to make his experience convelescing in our home a good one for him. We even dragged the recliner from our office to our bedroom so he would have a comfortable space to sit/snooze in while watching tv because he cannot go down the steep stairs into the renovated basement that is now our family room. Last Sunday, he made it clear to Wayne how much he hates Delaware (we have taken him out often and especially on the weekends when Wayne is not working), hates our home, hates living in our home, and he's bored. I was not home for that conversation....thankfully. I know it has not been easy for him and he still has a long road back to recovery. I just hope (and pray) that when he returns home he doesn't rebreak the leg or some other bone in his body.

...and I need to see my Dad. I've only been able to spend a few hours of time with him when we visited my FIL while he was in the hospital. I'm thankful for my brother and all he does for him.

Well, everyone have a nice day...and drink a glass of water!
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #3  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy and we have a few rain sprinkles here 'n there. I don't think it is supposed to be too hot but very humid today. I need to make a grocery list, also a WM list, and pick up my old glasses, with new lenses, on my way home. Otherwise not much is happening in my neighborhood today.

"Gma" -- I did see the tv broadcast about the Jewish boy being murdered. That is just sick, but I hope the guy doesn't get off by pleading insanity or in competent to stand trial. That is too bad about your sweater! I hope you can find a pattern you like as well. I also have a bread machine but my bread never turns out as good as what my sister makes in hers. I'm not even sure what brand I have but the loaves even look different.

Gail -- How nice to see you this morning! Is your FIL the type of person that would "shut up" if you (not Wayne) would give him a piece of your mind about his poor attitude? You have gone above and beyond to make him comfortable while he's been with you. I will send that he gets to go home and stay there! I hope you find your dad holding his own this weekend.

I'm off to get dressed and get started on my lists. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-14-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #4  

Good morning, ladies! It has cooled off finally and 76 degrees right now and into the 80s this afternoon. There was another storm last night. We have had nearly 8 inches of rain already this month as of 5 pm yesterday and the normal is less than 2 ... at least the grass is green for a change.

Today is a work day but I'm having my coffee break right now so this will be short. My left leg is getting tired of compensating for the right and that knee is now protesting. I'll be going to PT in 3 weeks so decided to stop by yesterday and talk to them. I've been there before. Their office (Mary Immaculate Hospital PT) is attached to the Y so it is very convenient. They have their own space and machines, etc. but use the Y pool. I wanted to be sure we'd do some water therapy so I know that I'm okay with that again. Jackie worked with me before and I hope I get her again.

Faye, quilt teachers will pass patterns out free when they first come out to see if people are interested and then charge for them later. It's a common practice. I used to test patterns for Marge Eddie and she still gives me free ones that eventually get charged for. It's their living. I've never had a bread machine because I enjoy the kneading process. I haven't made any in a long while though. Fortune has you trained that's for sure! I heard about the murder, too. What a tragedy! It just shores up the fact you can't leave your children unattended even in their own neighborhood. I'll bet they try the insanity plea. I can't wait to see the new sweater. It's about time you make something for yourself!

Jean, I find I always have to try bras on, even the same model number from the same manufacturer. I have a hard time because I wear a 34D. I used to get a 36C and then I had a real professional bra fitting and found 34D was the ticket.

Gail, I know you will be glad to have your FIL go home. It's hard on him because he can't do what he wants, his friends can't visit, and he was in pain and its hard on you trying to have to take care of him. A lose-lose situation. I would be cranky if I had to stay for an extended time with someone in town, let alone another state. I like living alone and doing what I want when I want. At any rate, it will be better in a few days and you'll get to spend some time with your father.

Hi, Maggie!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is another day here in the Heartland. Every day in the coming weeks forecast has us in the tripple digets. And today the humidity is very operssing. That's a fact and I am sticking to it. That is what happens to me when I go out side ~ get sticky . Not much on my agenda this day but I will certainly find something to get into. I don't want to do any glasswork today but I am thinking of making some cookies and getting most of them into the freezer quickly. Seems I am in a baking mood this day. I am not much of a cookie eater but Will is. OH BTW that cinnimon mixed with butter to spread on toasted raisin bread worked out great. I am going to have a piece of that and an egg when I finish my post. My new egg poacher thingies work great. I sprinkle a few bacon bits on the egg after breaking it into one of the cups before cooking it and they are so yummy that way. Will has one of the display cases built for the museum and now gets to make a second one. It will go much easier since the second one of anything seems to go that way. My soup that I made yesterday turned out so good. I've got two quarts of it now in the freezer in serving sized bags. I used the last of our spiral cut ham in it so it looks like it is time to order another. I still have some of the spiral cut turkey breast yet. I think I will take a packet of that out of the freezer and have a turkey dinner this day. Sounds like a plan.

DONNA FAYE Thanks for starting us out with a new thread. OH yes I read about that child that was murdered. Terrible, terrible how some folks treat others. Senseless acts of horror. Just when you think your neighborhood is safe it all comes crashing down. Those poor parents to lose a child that way. The price of everything is going up and what was formerally free now costs. It is a shame that this is all happening to our wonderful country. I shudder to think what it will be like in a couple years. I just take it a day at a time. I had one of the first Panasonic bread makers that they ever made years ago that cost @ $400 and now there are many companies making them and the price has come down. The one I have right now is a Zojirushi mini breadmaker. Compact, slim-desigh kneads dough for a stadard (3 cup-four) loar, or kneads and bakes a 1-pound (2 1/4-cup-flour) loaf. It is 8" x 11" x 12" tall. It has a loop handle which makes it easy to move from one area to another. It makes a small lovely loaf and currently sells for $189.95. It's big brother makes up to a 2-pound loaf and costs $239.95. It is an excellent brand I would recommend it to anyone. I can even bake cakes and make jam in it.

JEAN No need to buy new frames if you really like the ones you have. I have done that before. I prefer the smaller metal frames to the huge plastic type that is very popular today.

GAIL Good to see you here this day girlfriend. Ah ~ the light is there at the end of tunnel and getting brighter. Hopefully you can get that ingrate settled in his own home this weekend. I know you are so thankful that your dear Wayne didn't turn out to be like his father. I use that lovely dish-cloth you sent me as a place mat on my TV tray. Good to see you here ~ did I already say that ~ I am getting addled.

SUSAN Howdy to you this lovely day.

I am off to make some cookies. Type at y'all later. Be safe my friends.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-14-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #6  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good afternoon! It is such a nice day here in Delaware! The humidity is not high at all and there is a nice breeze outside. Just a very nice afternoon! The kind of day that calls your name to be outside!

Maggie, are those egg things you're talking about called "Eggies"? I saw this advertisement on tv the other night about these amazing little plastic egg-like things that you pour an egg into and cook it in water on the stove...like you do to make boiled eggs but w/o the shell and I looked at Wayne and said...which he said BEFORE I could get the words out of my mouth, "You want that don't you?" I just laughed. And guess what?! When I was in Boscov's on Monday afternoon they have a whole department filled with "As Seen On TV" stuff and guess what they had and guess what I bought? EGGIES! I haven't used it yet but I will! Anyway, is that what you have? Well...I wouldn't exactly call my FIL an ingrate (although I can see your point). It's just he's old (86), set in his ways way beyond stubborn, extremely tight with his money, hard of hearing, doesn't understand some things or thinks he does and ends up saying the most assinine of things, and thoughtless....and did I mention bored? WHICH I'm taking it as a good sign of him getting well.

Magnolias, I know I've complained, whined, and ranted about my FIL...and with good reason...but he is family. One can't choose family like one can choose friends. Part of my b*tching is because I am worried about him. And to top it all off, I'm worried to pieces that once he goes home he will fall down the three steps into his garage and knock himself out at the very least and the worst....well.... MY problem is that I'm used to having the house to myself and I'm not used to constantly picking up after someone (I have Wayne trained very well thank you very much), cleaning the most awful of messes in the bathroom you really don't want me to describe (as Donna knows) and having to constantly repeat myself and yell to be heard. And there's so much more to this (as Donna well knows) that I'm just worn out mentally. So inspite (or is that despite?) of all that Wayne and I feel right now we worry about the old man...and are we doing the right thing in taking him home on Saturday? IF something happens to him will Wayne be able to carry the guilt feelings that I'm sure my sensitive husband will surely have?

I do thank y'all for reading my posts.

AND the awful truth of it all is my FIL is losing weight while I am gaining!

Susan, I love the physical therapy place where my FIL goes and IF I ever need PT I know where I will be going. I hope you're feeling better soon. And yes, you are right in all that you say about my FIL...but he has made this complication of living 4-5 hours away. You see, after my MIL passed away some 15-16 years ago, we begged him to move to Delaware. There is no one there for him. No one. These dances he goes to...or rather he has gone to because Lord love him, he will not be able to dance again, the people he sees there are acquaintances. Not friends. At least not the kind of friends one can call on for help. They are old like him! IF he had moved to Delaware back then he could have been in his own place, independent, and as much involved in the three senior centers that I know of, parents w/o partners, 60+ group, up here like he is down there. As he has aged he has gotten sick, had heart surgery, pancreas surgery, accidents, and not to mention the fool-thing he got involved in that he was taken to court two years ago...which required Wayne to take off work and not get paid for. I won't go into all the times he passed a kidney stone and ended up in the hospital down in Va. Beach and Wayne and I have rushed down there at his request...and never got a thank you. We have begged, pleaded, argued with him until all three of us are blue in the face, to move up here WHERE HIS FAMILY LIVES. And so he is going home on Saturday and I will be counting the days until we receive a phone call from some nurse at one of the area hospitals down there.

Jean, it's really kind of funny about my FIL. IF my husband speaks his mind, my FIL explodes with expletives! IF I speak my mind, my FIL is afraid I will have an anxiety attack and shuts right up. IF I speak my mind...and you know I have...he will back down and shut his mouth. From what I understand, my FIL and Wayne really got into it. Now...my Dad. His Parkinson's Disease meds have been tripled in the past two weeks. So far, he's not having side effects....like hallucinations. I know that would scare my Dad as it has happened to him before. My Dad is a very gentle man although he can be stubborn also. (Are all men stubborn?) I can usually gauge the seriousness of his health issues by the breakouts of psoriases on his hands and neck. My brother (bless his heart) promises everytime I leave from visiting Dad, that he will phone me if something goes wrong. My brother tries to reassure me that "it is what it is" and "everything's cool, Gail". I love my brother.

Well, this afternoon's post is extremely long. And I promised myself that when I posted I wouldn't go into these long diatribes. And here I have done it. I am okay now. Truly. I just need to get a handle on this weight thing before it gets out of hand. And I will. Because I gave all my fat clothes away! I would have to buy larger clothes and I refuse to do that!

I need to use those Eggies....boil me some eggs....

Last edited by GailR; 07-14-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #7  

Listen Gail, sometimes we just need to vent. It can be hard to be in your situation. When I think about getting stuck with my mother or my mil living with us it makes me shudder. They have both passed but either one would have been a handful, more my mil than my mother as she adored Jack and his mother didn't like me! What's not to like, I am loud, mouthy and opinionated, but truthfully, when she was alive I never ever insulted her and kept my opinions to myself trying to get along with her. You have had a hard road trying to take care of him and worrying about your dad and not being able to go see him. It can make you cranky and frankly even resentful and that is natural. You haven't done anything any of the rest of us have done. We are friends and friends should be around to listen. Hugs to you and glad you FIL is going to get to go home. Just don't worry so much about him. You might be surprised how much better he gets in his own home.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #8  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Thank you, Donna.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

BACK FOR A BIT

GAIL No, my egg things are not like the ones advertized on TV which I thought about getting but then I saw a demonstration on things "not to buy" and that changed my mind. Now if you like them when you use them then there is another opinion. What I ordered from Bakers Catalogue are individual silicone cups for making poached eggs that have little nonskid "feet" on the bottom so they stand when you get them out of the water. They are colored aqua and yellow. I have two of each. They work great. If you go to www.kingarthurflour.com and type in silicone egg poachers you can see what I am talking about. Or if you have the July catalogue they are pictured on page 46. Good to see you here my friend.

The men are here installing the new fiber optic TV-phone stuff. I am staying out of their way. It is supposed to up our internet speed to 10 which is what all the businesses use around here.

Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-14-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:42 AM   #10  

Good morning to you all. I really thought it couldn't get much more sticky outside, but whooee. We had a rain storm move through yesterday evening and it is actually wet feeling now. It smells like a rain forest outside at the moment but the sun is out and the sky is blue. Last workday week though and that's nice.

I have to get in gear and get some work done today. I have been planning on getting upstairs and cleaning bathrooms but haven't done it yet. I think when I get done here I will get up there and get it done. It doesn't take long but the heat can get to you fast. The upstairs doesn't cool down with the one unit like the downstairs as the downstairs is all open and everything upstairs is individual rooms. The hall gets cooler but that's about all. Of course, I thought he put the unit in the wrong window, but there was no arguing with him. Unfortunately, where he has it makes it hard to get into my side of the bed! I am going to look and see if I have some envelopes that I can get you girls those slippers while I am up there. I keep forgetting as I had them drying in the dining room. The non skid bottoms are now completely dry so they are ready to go. I am just nervous about them not fitting, but they do stretch some and I think when you put them on they will be ok,

I have 3 1/2 panels vertically done of my sweater and it looks like it will work fine. Here is what it looks like so far. The pattern isn't hard, but can be tricky. You can't be watching tv, listening to music or day dreaming or you will miss a step then the numbers will be out of whack. If I make a mistake, it is usually I forget to psso a stitch so end the row with too many or forget to yo so I don't have enough. I am in my stride now and paying better attention and not having issues at the moment, but I do make sure the count is accurate. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I haven't made myself something in a long, long time and this is smaller so I have something to work towards too. I didn't make it goal size, but did make it cruise size. I am working the socks too and have the first one now to the heel flap so moving right along with it. It is some color combo though.

I think our scales have got to fat heaven. It started acting weird yesterday and though I would love to have lost 20 lbs in a week, it isn't likely. So, I ordered a new set and should be here sometime next week. I have another set, but the wt doesn't go high enough for me to weigh on them yet. Frankly, I never did like this homemedics set we have now. The new ones lay flatter so will be easier to use I think.

Tonight is good ole hamburger night. I think I will have Jack put them on the grill if it isn't raining and he isn't too tired. I only use ground sirloin so the points aren't bad at all. I am not a cheeseburger kind of gal so I don't have added pts with that either. Ketchup, mustard, dill pickle and onion and not much ketchup so all in all my condiments don't shoot me down either. I like the Sara Lee wheat buns as they are the only ones I have found that feel fresh, but Jack just won't eat wheat so I just use a white bun. We will have 1 pt potato chips to go with and maybe some nice strawberries for dessert.

Maggie: Hope your cookies turned out ok. I plain don't make baked goods so then I don't have to worry about us eating too much of them. I don't like artificial sugar in stuff so would prefer to just have a treat of the real thing now and again. I have Splenda in a bag, but don't care for the taste of the artificial sugars in baked goods.

Gail: Hope Delaware is having some nice weather. I know you like to go out and take walks. You have to be getting excited about your visitor returning to his home and having your home to yourself again. He will be alright. Old folks can be quite resiliant. We can't always watch over them all the time. Hope this allows you to go for a visit with your own father too. I know you are so worried about him.

Susan: The thing with this pattern is it is from 2008 and was given out free for several years so I don't think in this case it was to titillate people to her patterns. She has a lot of buy patterns. I don't mind paying for a pattern I really want, but don't want to have to pay for one that I had free before. I haven't heard a word from their pattern support either so maybe they don't plan on answering me, I don't know. Doesn't matter at this point as I am using someone elses. Jack had a really good pt person with his knee and I imagine he hopes he gets him again. In fact, when Jack was having the problem several years ago with foot pain, this guy was his pt person at the other facility. Jack only has about 6 1/2 weeks until his knee surgery and then the long process of pt and such begins. I think he is looking forward to the time off actually. He really only has pain in the knee the first couple days or so then it does pretty well after that or at least the other one did. I hope they are able to get Tricare to ok the same system they used on him before because it kept the swelling right down and I think that made all the difference in the pain.

Jean: I only make the dough in my machine than I knead it and make up the rolls and such myself. I like it better that way. I also used to use it to make my noodle dough and it would come out perfect that way. I guess I just need to fool with this one. It truly is brand new and been sitting on a shelf for probably two years now.

Well I better get out of here and get my benefiber and breakfast too then upstairs to clean and get some work done today. Have a wonderful weekend all. Faye
Old 07-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's going to be a week of HOT 90+ days according to the weatherman. My air conditioner is humming away. I need to make a WM run so think I will do that this morning before the heat warning begins this afternoon. Bob's hometown is having an all school reunion tomorrow with a street dance in the evening after the catered meal. I'm hoping they will that inside! I picked up my glasses yesterday and "someone" ordered the wrong prescription -- the one I wear with my contacts and I wanted the one I wear without. Make sense? Evidently it didn't to someone there!

Bob just left for the cabin. He got a call last night that the lake level is coming up and the creek behind us is out of its banks. He is mainly concerned about the boat being high enough so when it is windy the waves don't hit the whole back end. The relative next door has water, from the crick, surrounding what used to be their garage and they remodeled into an extra bedroom and bath. When we were flooded out in '93, it was from the lake coming up, not the creek. Our boat trailer behind the cabin is standing in water.

Susan -- You've had a lot of rain for your part of the country! Are you still using crutches or just wearing the brace on your knee? You mentioned the other knee being sore. Can you have therapy on the "good" knee while you wait for the hurt knee to heal more?

Maggie -- What kind of cookies did you bake yesterday? I did get new frames and lenses a few weeks ago; I picked out plastic and a dull red color for the frames. What I picked up yesterday was new lenses for my old wire frame glasses, that I only wear w/o contacts and rarely. I know you will enjoy having a faster internet connection. Are all 3 eagles still together?

Gail -- It's hard to share living space, with anyone, after being alone! You have been a wonderful caregiver for your FIL; you will be doing the happy dance soon! You are so lucky your brother lives next door to your dad. It's hard to be two places at once!

"Gma" -- You are a brave one to clean in the heat! I need to do some major corner cleaning upstairs but will wait until I can have windows open I didn't see any picture of your sweater, or were we just reading your description of what it will look like? I finally put my scale away and just weigh in at WW. It seemed like when I thought I had lost, I gained, and vice versa, plus it was never even close to the WW scale. I hope you like your new one . . . or did you get two, his 'n hers?

I need to add a few things to my WM list and get going. Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-15-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #12  

Jean: I guess it does help if I actually post a picture of the pattern if I said "here is what it looks like" rather than you guessing! DUH! I tried to get the true color of the yarn as close as possible. It is just a shade darker than this, it is called light clover, but reminds me of the color celery. It is actually fun to go back to knitting patterns once in awhile even though you do have to keep your mind on it. No, we just bought one new scale. Jack came downstairs after work yesterday like a teenager all excited because his "skinny jeans" 36's now fit. On May 1, he was wearing 42's! They are almost brand new too. He said that before not only wouldn't they button but the thighs were snug and they were pretty loose yesterday. Jack can use the other one if he wants or the new one. He cracked me up this morning. He always has just cereal for breakfast and he texted me to please write down 8 pts for his Lean Cuisine pizza for lunch. He called me just a little while ago and asked me to look up on dlwz a chick filet bagel sandwich as a guy at work brought a bunch in to share and he had eaten one. I told him it was 11 pts did that mean he was going without supper and he said he still had his 35 bonus (we do old pts system not new) and that he had weeks of them as he had never used any. I told him he could not accumulate them and he said he knew but too bad you couldn't and carry over pts day to day. I told him it was logical but not sound thinking and he just laughed. Well, back to work. Just came over to the computer to write down his pts and my breakfast pts then I guess it is time to face the upstairs work. I have a basket of clothes to put away, bed to make and those darn bathrooms to clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mysweaterpattern.jpg (36.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by gma22; 07-15-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #13  

I just got back from WM and taking my glasses back to the eye joint. Come to find out it was the optometrist who put through the order. He and I discussed what I wanted so don't know how he goofed that up.

Bob just called and we have no beach left, but the creek level is going down; boat and cabin are both ok. Hopefully there won't be any rain up there for awhile. He leaves for Canada next Friday.

Donna -- Your sweater is so pretty! You will look so nice in it. I really don't feel like I am ahead of the WW "game" with the points plus as we get more points but we can eat more. I come out about the same as the old program when I'm really dedicated to keeping track. I need to get back to doing that 100% rather than the "hit 'n miss" that I've been doing.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Default Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 110. Now is anyone jealous? Didn't think so. No one has ever seen temps like this in this area that we know. I stay inside when it is like this. No need for me to go outside. Will is keeping the garden moist so that is a good thing for the plants are loving the heat since they get enough water. I received my new Cooking Light magazine this day and will have fun going through it. AH, but I got my new dresser scarf this day delevered by the UPs man. It is absolutely wonderful. They enclosed a very pretty pink cloth handkerchief that has darker pink design running about an ench above the scalloped edge. I remember in my youth seeing such as this. I think I will use it as a doiley. I placed the dresser scarf over the one I had on there that is handkerchief print with fringe and it looks really pretty. It mutes the red and ties it all into the rest of the room. The cookies are Sugar Blend Snickerdoodles that use Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking. It is a recipe out of my big Splenda cook book by Marlene Koch which are 2 P+ each. They freeze well.

DONNA FAYE That sweater is absolutely gorgeous. Have someone take a picture of you wearing it later and post it please. I have a set of the Health o Meter professional scales which are the tall kind with the weights you slide on a scale to determine what you weigh. They even have that measuring thingie to see how tall you are. I have them standing under a high shelf in my office where they are easy to get to and use. I only weigh once a week. They are right on with what WW uses so I know I am getting a proper reading. I have had several of the electronic ones and never did like how they worked. So I ordered this set up and have been very happy with it. Since it is metal I was able to put some magnets on it ~ like my set of lips biting a bullet picture. I think the important things is just to have a set of weights that are consistant and don't hop around with your numbers.

JEAN You sure have had trouble with your glasses. Graceous sakes I hope they get it right this time. I don't even know where my clear glass are at the moment. I only ever wear my shades and can see perfectly in the house. I do wear cheep-o reading glasses though. Have a pair in every room. My clear glasses are blended lenses and the area to read through is too small. My shades are better glasses and are pale pink wire frames. It is good your cabin and boat are not affected by the creek water rising. Will you get your beach back or did it claim that land?

HOWDY GAIL & SUSAN Hope your day is going well with you.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #15  

Good afternoon, ladies! A balmy 79 degrees today. I love it!

I went to the Y this morning and sat on the bleachers while my friends did water aerobics. It was good to see and talk to them again. You know I can't wait to be back in the thick of it. Then I had to go to Walmart and pick up a birthday cake to take to lock-in tonight. The shop owner's birthday was July 6 but she was in London until yesterday so we couldn't do it sooner. Tomorrow they are having Christmas in July and a cookie exchange. I don't bake so Glory is making cookies for both of us and I'm getting the cake but it will be front both of us. Can you believe it - she's finally getting the computer hooked up on Tuesday. I have it all ready to go, it just needs internet and Cox will be coming for that. I won't have to do her email anymore! Not that I minded in the least.

Gail, you have been a good DIL and Will has been a good son and you have offered to get your FIL moved to your area. He wants to go home and if something happens you will have to comfort yourself knowing he was doing what he wanted the most. I'll be glad you'll have you days free and can take care of yourself - you deserve it! I can be pretty stubborn, too, so I don't think it's only men. I know you'll get the weight under control shortly. Maybe sometime when things get settled and you come to VA Beach we can get together. Its not far at all for me.

Faye, I knew you would be knitting away on your sweater. It's beautiful, expecially the color. Don't worry about the slippers, I'm sure they will be fine. If they are tight, we can wet them and put them on our feet to dry! LOL. I'm sure Jack can use the rest! And I hope his surgery goes fine again. I'll put him on the prayer list when we get closer to the time.

Jean, we aren't eating more with points+ because foods cost more points. I'm eating exactly the same. Carbs are really pointy because the body converts them to fat fastest so carb lovers are having to make some changes. You can do this! Do you weigh and measure your portions? I still do that unless I am eating out. My left knee will be fine once I get my right back in motion. I'm still on crutches but I get around real good. I finally get to use the electric carts at the store! Wow, some flooding still! Optometrists can drive you crazy. I've been given the wrong prescription before. I think you had a good idea using your old frames. I have some Gloria Vanderbilt that I love and I'm going to do that when I go next month.

Maggie, did you get the Hungry Girl email about Splenda Brown Sugar? It's half regular brown sugar and half white Splenda so you can mix your own for half the cost. I like it in cooked cereal. I don't like the texture you get in baked goods with artifical sweeteners but then I don't bake so it gets to be a moot point.

Have a lovely evening. It's only 4:30 but I have to get my supper because I'm meeting Glory at 5:15 to go to lock in.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote