General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/197/138

Height: 5'6.75"

Post Intermittent Fasting coupled with low carb (Paleo, SBD...) SUPPORT

I have had pretty good success with IF having lost 8 pounds since starting it the last week of June... I have also had past successes with SBD and Paleo eating styles. I just couldn't seem to keep up the low carb eating style mostly due to the need to "snack" and all those dang mini-meals. Since stumbling upon IF I now feel that I would be able to tackle the low carb lifestyle again with new found strength.

I've been searching online for info on these styles meshed together... Every since my google search of "intermittent fasting and low carb" I feel enlightened. It seems these two eating styles are a match made in heaven. I know there is already a thread for Intermittent Fasting but I am hoping to narrow it down a bit to IFers that are eating along the same path I am hoping to take. Newbies, veterans, IF/LC hopefuls...whatever, I hope to gather support for us so that we can win at losing together.

One for every 5 pounds GONE!

AmberJae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #2  
~Kim~

I don't know how low carb SB and Paleo are exactly, but I am a "low" carb IFer. I usually consume around 50 net carbs per day on a 1400-1500 calorie diet. My IF window is 2pm to 8pm.

I've actually been meaning to look into South Beach. A friend told me a lot of the recipes would suit the way I eat.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #3  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

This is me. I eat low carb (80-100g a day) and I only eat between 6am and 3pm. I work out in the evening which always suppresses my appetite and it keeps my mind off food. If I need something sweet or if I think I am hungry I will have a cup of coffee. In the beginning I was averaging a 2-2.5 pound loss a week but now that I am closer to goal it's more like 1 pound a week. But hey, that just means I'll be at goal in a short 2 months which is nothing compared to 7 months ago!

Congrats on making it into one-derland!! If you need any advice or tips please feel free to reach out to me anytime.

Oh....and if you workout then I recommend eating as few carbs as possible 2-3 hours before you exercise. The less carbs you have in your body the quicker the workout will target fat. I will say that this is based on my own research and I'm sure there is an article out there somewhere that says this doesn't work. But it did for me so I'll leave it at that!
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #4  

I have not actually kept track of the number of carbs because I started low carbing with SBD. That style of eating doesn't make you count anything. That is why it was so easy for me to follow...until I got skinny Then the attitude kicked in... "I can eat what I want, I'm thin and I deserve it..." Well, now I'm not thin and I think I need to get back to thin but with a different mindset.

When I ate Paleo, I didn't keep track of net carbs either, I just ate like a primal human would eat...and it worked. The reasoning behind my quitting of that style was mostly my husbands sweets habit...and my lack of self control.

I found GREAT info on this combined style at justin o wings dot com. This was the site that made me have the "ah ha" moment.

My IF wndow bounces but is pretty consistently only about 3-4 hours. I also don't ever eat after dinner so my window closes around 8pm. I don't have much trouble not eating throughout the day and I usually just think of it as a good oportunity to give my kidneys a good workout by drinking plenty of water and green tea. (my favorite is Jasmine green tea).

I try to keep my calories around 1200-1500 but have trouble often because of starches. That's why cutting them out makes so much sense. If I don't eat them I don't have to worry about moderation.

@ Kim, Thank you for joining... I have some great low carb recipes... I'll have to find my dang recipe box and post a few here. Maybe we can swap some.

@ShanIAm, I'm glad you joined...I've seen you on the IF thread and hope to have as much success as you've enjoyed with IF. You are an inspiration. And thank you for the congratulations...I'm still not quite used to the idea of being under 200, but it's sinking in. I haven't really figured out my workout schedule yet, I just fit in small amounts of activity where I can because I stay home with my 6 month onld son. He is a handful but most times I am able to use his body weight to my advantage. I am thinking of getting a gym membership just to have som me time so I guess I'll worry abou the "when" of eating then. I have actually read your tip on other sites as well so you're spot on there.

On Friday I was wearing a workout top and yoga capris and my husband stopped what he was doing and asked, "Are you wearing Spanx?" It was the best compliment I've gotten in a long time. I simply answered, "nope"
Old 07-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

ShanIAm-
not to play the devils advocate (really) but how do you know you werent burning muscle (as opposed to fat) for fuel when you ate no/low carbs before your workout? Really, im just curious, not picking a fight or anything.... did you take BCAA's before /during to help ensure muscle maintenance?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 143/no idea/120-110

Height: 5'2'' (and a half)

I've only just started IFing but only after the first few days I've noticed that without even thinking about it my carb count had gone WAY down. I might count my carbs tomorrow to see just how low it's gone.

For some reason the carbs just don't seem to appeal.
TheManekiNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #7  

I've found that food in general doesn't appeal by the time I get to eat. But if there's bread on the table...and it has garlic and cheese on it...I eat it It's my own fault for making it though. Dang cheesy bread!

I did notice my need for sweets is gone. I ate a bite of cake this weekend and actually threw the rest away (at a baby shower). My MIL made a peach pie yesterday and I barely choked down the piece she gave me...it just tasted SO SWEET.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #8  

As I sit here eating my giant bowl of cauliflower and broccoli coated in cayenne and a touch of butter I'm wondering what you wonderful ladies do for your feeding window when there's no one to feed but yourself. My husband is working late so I am on my own. I've been told that the "not hungry" feeling goes away the longer you IF, but I'm looking at 300 calories and wondering how in the heck I'm going to force feed another 900 down my gullet with low carb options... This is hard. I just really want to drink some agua and be done with eating for today but I know that I have to eat more...

hmmmm.....
Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #9  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

How odd, just a few days ago I decided to do a low-carby- IF thing. I've been logging my foods and times for a few days to get an idea of when I'm hungriest. I think my window will be in the afternoon and evenings because I was not hungry all in the mornings if I drink a cup of coffee.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #10  

@ Ghost, WELCOME! It took me over a week to adjust to IF. I'm not really that hungry in the morning but I still get an urge to eat. My tummy growls, but I tried eating breakfast this weekend and I nearly puked. I ended up taking a 3 hour nap afterward because it made me so lethargic. Once your body gets the hang of it it's pretty much smooth sailing. How are you doing with low carb? Last night was my first night of it and I didn't make close to my calorie goal. I just kept eating and eating... I think I may need to open my window sooner so I have more time to eat more foods. Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 143/no idea/120-110

Height: 5'2'' (and a half)

@ AmberJae Made my lunch for work earlier today, lots of chopped up vegetable and a bit of hummus. I'm having difficulty eating enough calories since I've started IF. I've been averaging about 1000 calories and even eating 1000 calories has been so much effort.
TheManekiNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #12  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Low carb to one person if different the another. My body goes into ketosis really quick so I stick around 60 to 75 grams and try not to go below that. Some low carb diets make you go as low as 20 g a day for a few days, but that turns me into an idiot who passes out when she stands up too quick.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 282/220/175

Height: 5'10"

Oh yay!

An Intermittent Fasting/Low Carb/Paleo Support group! YAY!

I'm currently 26 weeks-ish pregnant (a surprise, I never expected due to being told I was practically infertile due to PCOS) As of today.. I've realized overall I feel much better with a High-Fat and Moderate-Protein diet... Carbs just make me feel horrible!!! No matter what!

Of course, my... boyfriend thinks I need to eat and the best food for a pregnant woman is nothing but Carbs, carbs and more carbs bleh!!!

As for intermittent fasting, it's just natural... I can quite happily go without food untill about 3pm as long as I have plenty of water with Braggs ACV. I then break the fast by taking my time drinking 1/2c of heavy cream. Mhhrm cream it's so sastisfying... and keeps me happy untill I get properly hungry around/ or after 7pm.

This is where my boyfriend likes to prepare carb-rich meals... Which untill now I've been complying with his wishes yet afterwards, I feel horrible... My Eczema is flaring up because I get so damn itchy afterwards and I've had an annoying cold for over 3 weeks now which turns into an unbearable uncoughing fit so soon after dinner! Grr!!!

But yay! After a somewhat lengthy disscussion and a few google searches, the boyfriend is somewhat grudgingly accepting my choice for a more high-fat and moderate protein approach.

YAY!

Tonights dinner shall be 2 hard boiled eggs, 4 chicken drumsticks covered in a reduced cream/butter sauce! and... a handful of veggies/ or fruit... to keep boyfriend happy with at least some carbs.

A compromise, but better than a big heaping of carbs.
Anonymia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #14  

I'm sorry I was absent yesterday...
Welcome, welcome, welcome Anonymia !

I'll be back later...At the moment the baby monitor is buzzing
Old 07-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/169/149

Height: 5'5"

Awesome!

I've been playing around with IF for the last week or so, and I'm really loving it. I've always eaten breakfast because I'm 'supposed' to, but I'm never actually hungry until much later. Now, by not making myself eat in the morning, I can save those calories for when I actually want to eat, which is in the evening. I'm also one of those people that once I start eating, all I can think about is food-- when I'm not eating, I don't think about it!

I've also been doing SBDish for the last four months (taken a few hard falls off of the wagon in the last month or so, but I keep getting back on).

I'm really looking forward to seeing how everyone else is doing with this!
AriRuns is offline   Reply With Quote