Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #1  
Stay with me

S/C/G: 240/235/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Any advice for those that work late and therefore eat late?

I work as a Front desk agent at a hotel, and most of the time I am on the 3-11pm shift, which means that I don't go to bed until 2-3am, because I get home at 11:30pm. I am hungry when I get home and end up eating a full dinner(protein, sometimes veggies, and a starch, and admitted sometimes bad snackies) I want to lose weight and get healthier but it's hard to not eat when you get home from work to just eat a salad and not a big dinner. I don't want to undo whatever I work off at the gym just because I work late and eat late. Any advice?
rubyred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Have you looked into Intermittant Fasting? it may work for your schedule!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #3  
Stay with me

I think I tried that once before and didn't have any success with it, but thank you anyway! I think it's going to be a battle of will and mind power to eat a more substantial meal before I go to work or when I have my break for dinner and then only eat light stuff when I get home.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

if you are eating at midnight and going to bed at 3 am, that's not all that different from someone who eats at 7 and goes to bed at 10 pm. Just don't eat too many calories for the whole day and it should matter that your dinner time is not the usual one - presumably, you aren't waking up at 6 am either, so your breakfast and lunch are shifted around too.

and lay off the bad snackies, those will stop your loss no matter when you eat them!
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #5  
Stay with me

Thanks April Snow! I know that it is the same it's just that my Grandma, who is the one that does the cooking--makes a big deal that I work late, but it is the same thing you're right.

I try not to eat the snackies, but sometimes it is really hard. I have been trying to not lately, this is the heaviest that I have ever been and I am so not happy about it.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #6  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred7 View Post
I have been trying to not lately, this is the
heaviest that I have ever been and I am so not happy about it.
hey, it's all relative. I started at 261 so I was super excited to get down to 239 today! lol!

Come join us here for support getting out of the 230s and 220s, on your way to a weight you will be happy about again.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...230s-220s.html
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Start Date 4/21/11 200/146/125

Height: 5'6

I want to preface this with, THIS IS ABOUT ME and not you.

I don't know anything about you so I can't say you are guilty of what I was guilty of. So use what you can and throw the rest out.

When I finally started losing weight after being heavy for 14 years I figured out some pretty hard things to face.

I always had to make dinner for the family. In fact I had to make three meals a day for a family of five.

I blamed that on my getting fatter by the day. In other words, I blamed my circumstances on being fat.

At the end of the day, it really was only me I had to blame. Blame is a harsh word and I don't mean it harshly. I'm just saying I was throwing off the responsibility on my circumstances.

That's not a bad thing, it was just an awakening. I didn't believe I could lose weight as long as I had to cook for everyone all the time.

The first time I made a meal for the family was not difficult once I figured out they weren't the reason I was fat.

Also if I had not found a diet that fit me personally, allowed me to eat anything I wanted, when I wanted and lose weight fast, I wouldn't be sitting here today having lost 35lbs in the last 2.5 months.

I was trying impossible diets for me personally which made it easy to blame my weight on my circumstances. I felt so trapped and discouraged.

I suggest you find something that suits you as far as diet that doesn't make you feel like a slave to it. Find a diet that is fun.

I don't blame myself for listening to experts that said I had to lose weight a certain way. I don't really blame myself for anything anymore.

I have to be kind to myself. There's a little girl inside of me who has been hurting for a long time, it would be cruel to take away her favorite foods too. I just couldn't handle that. I can now, but not when I started.

Once the little girl inside of me trusted that I wasn't going to take away her favorite foods anymore (I just gave her little bites of anything she wanted), and she saw I really was going to take all this weight off, I stopped craving those foods she so enjoys. I don't crave anything anymore and I rarely feel real hunger. So, we are now working together on the same page.

I hope this makes sense.

Stay away from guilt as it just perpetuates your situation. You can start thinking outside the box you have yourself in. You can do it. I know you can. You have the answers you seek right inside of you.

If I can do it, so can you. Trust me, I thought I was going to be fat the rest of my life. I had given up all hope of ever losing weight.

Best of luck,

Jude
gracewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #8  
Stay with me

Thanks I will!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #9  
Stay with me

Thanks Jude, that helped more than you know.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I used to work graveyard shift. 11pm to 7am. And had a DH and 2 teenage kids.

While I tried the best I could to keep them on their feeding schedule, mine was different. It had to be for me to function.

You just have to adjust to your schedule.

My most unusual experience with the off work hours, I stopped at the quick trip on a Friday morning, I was off work for the weekend and wanted a beer. You can't buy one, have to buy a 6 pack, so, I'm standing in line with all the folks buying donuts and coffee, and I have 6 pack. One guy looked at me and said "a littler early isn't it?" I looked him in the eye and said "NO" I just got off work for the weekend, it's my Happy Hour!"
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Start Date 4/21/11 200/146/125

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyred7 View Post
Thanks Jude, that helped more than you know.
Any time!

You just need a little love and someone who believes in you when you don't know how.

...here's a big hug coming your way.

I know you are going to get this.

Best,

Jude
gracewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 140/136/100

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Have you looked into Intermittant Fasting? it may work for your schedule!
Do you know much about this? I'm really interested in learning more, and I could always google (which I did to find out what it was) but I'm more curious if you have any information from experience or people you know with experience!
uhohitsamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #13  

most people eat their dinner when they get home from work, why shouldnt you eat dinner when you get home? Not understanding why it matters what the clock says.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I've never worked night shift, but I've been living with circadian rhythm (body clock) disorders for half my life so I am very familiar with eating at odd hours. The important thing is consistency. It is absolutely fine to have a big meal when you get home from work, but then you need to make sure that you go to bed and eat at the same hours on your days off. You also need to make sure you sleep as well as possible, which can be hard when you're sleeping during the day. Aim for sleeping in complete darkness and quiet, get blackout curtains, turn the phones off, whatever will optimise your sleep. If you need to sleep in two parts, a siesta pattern, that's fine, just get used to it and then plan for it. My weight went crazy during the years when I was sleeping and eating at utterly erratic times (look up Non-24 Sleep-Wake Disorder, it ain't fun), and it wasn't until I had a handle on the sleep disorders and got into a proper routine that I could even think about starting weight loss. Chaotic hours don't do good things to your hormones and metabolism, they make it harder to keep track of when and what you're eating, and the social isolation they can cause doesn't help if you're given to comfort eating. The Body Clock Guide to Better Health is a very useful book for anyone working shifts or with similar issues.

Last edited by Esofia; 07-09-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #15  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

i have this problem too, i work 3pm til 9pm so not as late as you, but because i only get a 15 minute break at work i tend to only have time for something small, meaning im starving when i get home, plus i still have to get up at 8am to get my daughter to school. i'm calorie counting which seems to be best for me, as it doesn't really matter what time i eat as long as i'm within my calories for the day, and i try to make sure what i eat when i get home is filling but healthy (last night i had cereal and an apple)
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote