General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 11:16 AM   #1  

Angry

I'm very curious to hear anyone's results with this diet. I tried it last week and lost about 6 pounds. I am going to try it again this week and drink more water? I really felt good all week long and I ate alot. =)
Old 03-13-2001, 06:36 AM   #2  

A friend of mine did this once but she could not keep it up. Her house also smelled like the soup for about a week after too. I know that she lost weight while on it but in the end it was too restrictive.
Old 03-13-2001, 06:23 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

All those diets are just passing fads.....diets where you die of starvation on them and are tooo restrictive for everyday living, and not giving you proper nutrition....we have to realize that we need LIFESTYLE changes!!
Old 03-13-2001, 07:56 PM   #4  

Default Soup Diets

I tried this diet and a similar diet out of Woman's World magazine (it was a spicy oriental vegetable soup). It is impossible to stay on for any length of time, but I do make these soups in addition to Weight Watcher's zero point vegetable soup and my own variations of very low fat, low calorie vegetable soups quite often. For me, it's the easiest way to get in several servings of vegetables (it's filling and takes a while to eat too, so meals seem less sparse).
Old 03-18-2001, 11:15 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default There was a previous thread on CSD...

...I was trying to locate it to bring it to the top - I'll keep looking for it though! I think the person who started this thread would find it interesting.

Myself - I enjoy eating soup, and YES I have tried the CSD (It's one of those fad diets that reappear from time to time) and just thinking about eating that soup makes me want to barf! After day 3, my stomach would just turn when heating the soup up.

Not to say that eating soup to help in weight loss isn't a bad idea - not at all! In fact, "Volumetrics" by Barbara Rolls, PhD advises eating soup before meals to help fill you up - pretty much any soup that is 120 calories a serving or less. I personally find that soups such as split pea or minestrone really go a long way towards satisfying my appetite!

I'll keep looking for that thread in the archives for you.
Old 03-29-2001, 04:07 PM   #6  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default No dice

I GAINED 2 pounds on this diet!!!

I didn't cheat at all, either!!! My poor husband felt so sorry for me. He knew how hard I was trying and how faithful I was being and just didn't know what to say.

I'm sorry - I just don't think it's a realistic lifestyle way of eating - it's not fun - it doesn't offer any variety - it doesn't take care of the problem even if someone does lose weight on it.

Of course that's just my opinion and I'm sure my personal experience has nothing to do with why I don't like the diet.
Old 03-29-2001, 09:11 PM   #7  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default CeeCee

Do you know the recipie for the zero point soup? I love soup!
Old 03-29-2001, 11:06 PM   #8  

I can't find the recipe (I'm sure someone in the WW threads would have it), but it's so easy to "invent" since most vegetables (except carrots, corn, potatoes, and peas) are zero points. The soup recipe does have carrots in it (carrots used to be free, now they count, but not alot). Basically, I use a can or two of fat free chicken broth (or bouillon cubes and water in a pinch),
a big can of tomato or V-8, and whatever vegetables I feel like (onions, canned or stewed tomatoes, cabbage, green beans, carrots, rutabega, celery, even beets). Then I add garlic, parsley, a bay leaf if I have it, and a packet or two of sugar substitute. If I'm going to use it as a meal instead of "filler" I add a few things with points like leftover chicken or beef, pasta, potatoes, corn or beans. It's almost impossible to make the soup worth many points unless you added high fat items, or used a lot more "point" items than free items (so much it probably would be a casserole rather than a soup)
Old 04-05-2001, 02:32 PM   #9  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Default A couple of soup recipes

Here are a couple that I found:

The cabbage soup soup:
6 large green onions
2 green peppers
1 or 2 cans of tomatoes(diced or whole)
1 bunch celery
1/2 head cabbage
1 package Lipton soup mix
1 or 2 cubes bouillon(optional)
1 – 48 oz can V8 juice(optional)
Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry garlic powder, etc.

Cover the veggies with water
Boil for 30-40 minutes.

ZERO POINT SOUP:

5 medium carrots
3 medium celery stalks
3 large onions, chopped, or 3 medium leeks
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes in juice
1/2 medium cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces
12 ounces green beans
3 medium zucchini (6 oz. each)
2 packages (5 oz. each) baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 chicken-flavor bouillon cubes or envelopes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
12 cups water

Cut all vegetables into bite-size pieces and cook until vegetables are
tender, about 20 minutes.

* Note this may be different now that WW has changed their points
Old 04-09-2001, 04:02 AM   #10  

Default makes you fart

I hope you guys know that cruciferous veggies like cabbages make you fart. and having so much of cabbage all at one... euuu...
Old 04-10-2001, 10:10 PM   #11  

Beans, beans, the magical fruit.... Actually, since you brought it up, cruciferous vegetables and the much maligned bean tend to cause more..... trouble.... for those that don't eat them very often. If you gradually increase your intake, your body will make the enzymes needed to digest them and no uh... gastrointestinal disturbances will occur (the product Beano is the enzyme needed to digest the fiber in beans, which is why it works to prevent gas, but your body will do the same thing if you eat beans regularly). Besides, cruciferous vegetables seem to prevent all sorts of nasty diseases, so I guess the temporary intestinal distress is a small trade-off. And, if you experience an embarassing moment or two while waiting for your body to adjust, just glare at your companions
and
shout "What, you'd rather I get cancer?"
Old 04-11-2001, 03:00 AM   #12  

Cee Cee, Your right. When I started the veggie eating I found that I was replacing lots of beans and things like broccoli, and that sort of thing for meat and starchy stuff. I just stayed close to home for the first month or so and now I don't have any more trouble with gas than I had before I upped the intake of those gassy foods. And I will shout from the mountain tops that I am working to reduce my chances of cancer, obesity and heart disease, all three of which are big health issues with women in my family.
Old 04-11-2001, 04:55 AM   #13  

Default But Where the CSD is concerned..

But where the CSD is concerned, most people who get on this diet dont usually consume much veggies of any kind, or cabbages. I just want you people to make sure what you're getting yourself into, darls.

Thanks, Cee Cee, for reminding all of us. But really, it's the carcinogens that causes cancer, and cruciferous veggies dont really help much in combating/preventing cancer, does it?

Anyway. the CSD does work for awhile only, and is no good for a long term weight loss plan. Should be coupled together with exercise and so on so forth. Yup. Maybe weight lifting as well.

Ahh. listen to me. Here i am trying to lose weight as well. But no, i am not gonna make th CSD a option. I'll go for the traditional way. Exercise and Cut Calories.

Thats me.
Old 04-11-2001, 10:10 AM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Veggies and fruits CAN help in preventing cancer!

Cornell University's 10-year "China Project" showed undeniably that the consumption of fruits and veggies DOES help in preventing cancer.

Here's a link to an article by Dr. T. Colin Campbell of Cornell University entitled "Avoiding Breast Cancer with Diet"

http://www.newcenturynutrition.com/p...stcancer.shtml

Another article about the link between cancer and diet:

http://www.newcenturynutrition.com/p...iscancer.shtml

And lastly, a page with links to numerous articles regarding cancer and diet...

http://www.newcenturynutrition.com/p...concerns.shtml

Take care!
Old 04-11-2001, 11:38 PM   #15  

Wow, Mrs Jim you are informed, I am impressed! I have to admit most of my info comes from Prevention magazine, the news, documentaries on cable and other "prepackaged" sources.

graceshu, I responded to your first post (and I guess the second too) because your sense of humor is contagious. Which fits right into this thread, because I don't think any of us seriously consider any single food diet a great idea. Anyone remember the hotdog, egg, and banana diet: 9 hot dogs one day, nine eggs the next (can you say cholesterol?) and finally nine bananas on the last day. You have to admit (or maybe you don't if you really hate cabbage) cabbage soup sounds mightly appealing next to that.

My main point is that we all know that vegetables are good for us and that soup (whether it has cabbage in it or not) can be a good way to eat more vegetables and
fill your stomache without alot of calories. Soup is probably the best diet bargain around (even if it's directly out of the can, especially if it's broth not cream based). I was raised in an "add a quarter pound of butter for every half pound of vegetables" family,
so plain raw or side-dish vegetables usually don't appeal to me very much. Homemade vegetable soup, now that's a different story. My mother would make a HUGE pot of soup with maybe a pound and a half of meat, and add huge quantities of fresh tomatoes, green beans, corn, potatoes, cabbage (probably a whole head), carrots, kohlrabi, celery, onion (plus three bay leaves and a tablespoon of whole allspice). It would fill two very large mixing bowls AFTER our family of six finished dinner (of at least two bowls each) on the first night. We'd eat it at least three or four days in a row, and the soup would still run out before we got tired of it. It's no wonder, though that I don't mind soup without meat, since getting more than three chunks of meat in your bowl was like winning the lottery. It sure sounds good right now!
Closed Thread