Old 07-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Default Water

So I've been trying my hardest to use the water drinking technique... Ya know, take your weight and divide it in half and that's how many ounces you need to drink a day to help in weight loss!!
Well I downloaded a "Water Log" app on my phone to keep up with water as i drink it and tell me what percent of my goal I am for the day...

I NEVER realized until this last week how hard to is to consume THAT much water!
I thought all this time "oh yeah, I consume a ton of water... no problem..."
Well I've noticed by the end of the day I'm around 60% roughly of my goal...

Who knew water would be so difficult!!!
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #2  
Vegalitarian

Height: 5'8

I've a read a recommendation of 2-3 liters a day for women, so I usually aim for at least 2. You must be drinking about 4! That would be terribly difficult... Honestly, I wouldn't stress it too much. If you're having trouble doing it, you probably don't need that much. Just make sure you're plenty hydrated. I don't personally believe you can flush out fat just by drinking in excess.
Astrild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/see ticker/135

Height: 5'8"

I cant even imagine drinking a liter! I have to pee ALL the freakin time!! UGH
pointless2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I drink 4-5 liters a day no problem. My body's gotten used to it and I pee about 12-15 times a day. I feel completely functional having 2-3 liters a day though, and pee less. It's up to you! I think the gist of all these formulas and whatnot is to get people to drink more water and stay hydrated, period.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #5  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I've been drinking a lot of water for almost a year now. I honestly love it (I feel okay with less, but I like to drink more). I drink about 4 liters a day on regular days. Yeah, I pee like a racehorse, but it's worth it. I feel more awake, fresher, and (TMI) my pee never smells! In fact, it's almost always clear/pale.

I think you should drink however much water keeps you feeling hydrated and feeling good. I also drink mine in the form of tea, or sometimes I add knockoff Crystal Lite to mine (1/2 a pack per liter, because those things are reeeally SWEET).
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I drink 4-5 liters a day no problem. My body's gotten used to it and I pee about 12-15 times a day. I feel completely functional having 2-3 liters a day though, and pee less. It's up to you! I think the gist of all these formulas and whatnot is to get people to drink more water and stay hydrated, period.
I drink about the same amount as you, Krampus, however if I drink 2 liters of water I usually feel rather dehydrated. I don't know, I just feel so much better/cleaner/healthier when I've been drinking lots of water. I love the way it 'tastes' and so I've never used any of the water flavoring packets, but I have some friends who love them. I guess it just depends on personal preference. I don't think people should just wake up one day and double their water intake, as that would probably just make you sick.
effie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

I section out my day into 'how much water I need to drink before "X" o'clock.' As soon as I get to work, I hit the vending machine for an Aquafina (only 50 cents for employees, haha). I drink it and refill, goal is two full 20oz bottles before lunch. If by lunchtime I haven't finished, I make sure to polish off whatever I have left before I do anything else. After that, I can afford to spread it out a little bit...maybe one or two bottles before I head home for the night, and then water with dinner, and sip through the evening.

Once I'm at home I'm usually too busy fussing around to remember to drink...it's much easier when I'm at my desk at work and the bottle is right next to me. If I don't drink at LEAST those two bottles in the morning, and I work out later around dinnertime, I get one heck of a headache that lasts through the next day (it's hard for me to drink during my workout because for me it's instant stomach-cramp). That's my incentive to stay hydrated!

Plus since I wake up in the morning dehydrated in the summer, I find I'm retaining water if I weigh as soon as I wake up. I eat light, but healthy while at work, and because I drink so much at work, my weight is down if I weigh when I get home.

Last edited by mimi86; 07-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/154.4/130

Height: 5'2

mhill0823, I totally understand. I didn't realize that it would be so hard to drink the recommended minimum either. I use MFP to track my water, and I use a cup that holds 2 cups of water, so it's a little bit easier to keep up with (as opposed to trying to track one cup at a time).

From drinking next to no water each day, I've managed to average 2-3 liters per day since May. Any less, and I feel yuck. I'm hoping to up it to 4-5 liters, slowly.

Last edited by petitefleur; 07-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.
petitefleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I keep a 32 oz bottle on my desk at work. I find if it's there, I will drink it. I have been drinking 3 bottles a day lately since it's been so hot (plus another few cups at home) but you have to work your way up.

Almost forgot - use a straw! It really helps a lot.

Last edited by juliana77; 07-08-2011 at 10:29 AM.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

I drink a little over 3 L per day. I used to drink 4-5 L but my nutritionist told me to cap it at about 3 L while I'm losing weight. mhill, did you consult a professional about the amount to drink? I've never heard of the formula you repeated.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/166/130

Height: 5' 2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill0823 View Post
So I've been trying my hardest to use the water drinking technique... Ya know, take your weight and divide it in half and that's how many ounces you need to drink a day to help in weight loss!!
I heard it just like that when I got done delivering my kiddo (c-section). Before letting me go home, they gave me health/recovery tips. They gave me a giant travel thermos with water and said to drink 2-3 of those a day, basically half your weight in ounces. I've kept that as a rule, but I've also heard to drink eight 8-oz glasses a day or to drink about 90-oz a day. I shoot for a minimum 1 liter of water a day (in addition to my 40ish oz of coffee & tea a day). These past couple weeks, I've been cutting out the tea (canned or bottled premade) and drinking more plain water. I easily drink 2-3 liters of water a day and I do have to take a lot of pee breaks, but when you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated and when you're dehydrated, your body holds on to its water and fat (so I don't like letting myself go thirsty).

The amount of water each person drinks varies by the person's weight, by their preferences and by what other drinks they have in addition to water. Like krampus said (& I agree),
Quote:
the gist of all these formulas and whatnot is to get people to drink more water and stay hydrated, period.
To squeeze in more water, you could drink a glass as soon as you wake up and before meals (before eating or drinking anything else). A glass of water before meals could help prevent over-eating.
ferretgirl is offline   Reply With Quote