General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/169/Ticker

Height: 5'6"

Default New report says on avg. 30% of adults are obese.. Thoughts?

Think your state should have landed higher (or lower) on the list?

Hate to say it but I'm surprised Texas, which ranked 12th, isn't higher.

While it serves as a reminder that I'm not alone in the constant uphill battle of obesity, it's also really sad that this is the state of our country...

Links to AP article, "Percentage of obese adults in all 50 states": http://bit.ly/qAtUP2
shellofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I'm not surprised. We're overfed and undernutritioned as a nation.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Not surprised. New England, as usual, lands low on that list. Not sure why.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

From a social perspective, it's interesting that almost all of the top ten most obese states are southern states. Why do you guys think that is?

I think it's partly because typical southern food is greasy, breaded and loaded with calories. Also, healty affordable food is less available in the southern states due too often big distance for those who live rural.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Not surprised. New England, as usual, lands low on that list. Not sure why.
It's statistcally proven that people with higher education are less obese. The rates are 21,5 % obesity for those with a degree beyond high school while for those did not graduate high school the rate is 33%

I live in England, so I'm not sure if I'm right about the following: Isn't New England one of states with the largest % of educated people?
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I think the problem in the south is all the fried food, and all the sweet tea. All that southern hospitality is fattening! (I grew up in NY, but lived in NC for 10 years.)
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm actually surprised the percentage is not higher! After living in Japan, coming back to the states was a bit shocking.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaOlivia View Post
It's statistcally proven that people with higher education are less obese. The rates are 21,5 % obesity for those with a degree beyond high school while for those did not graduate high school the rate is 33%

I live in England, so I'm not sure if I'm right about the following: Isn't New England one of states with the largest % of educated people?
New England is the name for the group of six states in the upper Northeastern corner of the US. Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine.

I honestly wouldn't know whether or not New England boasts a higher education level than the rest of the States. I've never more than glanced at the charts with the rankings with that information.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #9  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Well, I live in Alabama, and I can tell you southern cooking is dangerous. I am not originally from the South, but my DH is. His mother's idea of a good meal is cornbread, ham, butter beans, corn on the cob, and mashed potatoes. That's right, starch, starch, and more starch. Then, she justifies it to me by saying that they are all vegetables. Uh, yeah! Starchy vegetables! Oh, and let's have some peach cobbler for dessert, with ice cream on top! Not to mention the gallons of sweet tea they drink.

Whew! Sorry about that! I just needed to vent, I guess.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #10  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Education level is a HUGE factor (and yes, the northeast has more people with higher education).

And what is it about higher education? Well, first, they know better how to eat better. Second, they can afford to eat better with higher incomes and they have more time typically to devote to going to the gym, taking a walk, riding a bike etc.

People who are poorer work longer hours and have less free time.

And I really don't think it's about the food in the US that is the problem. I've traveled around and everywhere there is cheese and fried foods and fattening desserts. What makes us unique (and unfortunately, less and less unique) is that we are a driving nation. We drive EVERYWHERE. We don't walk. We don't take stairs, etc. In most of the rest of the world, people walk to work or walk to a tram and then from the tram to their office and then take the stairs to the office. People walk to the food market and carry their food home (doing so EVERY day). They walk in the evening with friends, etc.

In the US we drive three blocks to take the kids to school.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #11  
No description available.

That article talks about "obese". According to the CDC, another 34% fall into "overweight and not obese."

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm

34% of adults over 20 are obese
Another 34% overweight but not obese.
68% are overweight or obese (2008 data)

We have a big problem. (no pun intended)
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6

How about the fact that childhood obesity is also on the rise? The percentage doesn't shock me. Everywhere I go people seem to be eating fast food by the bagful. That kind of thinking has got to catch up with you eventually. What's the saying in the fitness industry? "Garbage in, garbage out." It's sad, really.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #13  

My 1st thought was, "that's all?". Midwife, you added that more fall into overweight.
Read it - ANOTHER 34% are overweight. That means 64% of our coutry is overweight.

I think that's all I need to say.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #14  

Height: 5'6

But are we talking about obese individuals who had their BMI done? Because my husband's body fat percentage is within the normal range, if you plug his height and weight into a BMI calculator, he's considered "obese" because he has a lot of muscle. I wonder what parameters they use. According to my doctor, everyone should be going by how much body fat and lean muscle mass they have because that's a better indicator. Regardless, it's still a sad situation.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #15  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
How about the fact that childhood obesity is also on the rise? The percentage doesn't shock me. Everywhere I go people seem to be eating fast food by the bagful. That kind of thinking has got to catch up with you eventually. What's the saying in the fitness industry? "Garbage in, garbage out." It's sad, really.
And I will state again - it's because our kids are too inactive. When we were kids we were walking to school, playing outside until we were called in and were always on the move. Kids today sit in front of the TV and in front of the computer and if they have activities, they are driven to them, jump for an hour and then get driven home and sit some more. It's all about movement!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote