Old 07-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/237/140

Height: 5'7

Question Need some help Ladies!!!

OK... so I started my journey on the 19th of June, 2011. I know its only been a couple weeks, and so far I seem to be doing really well, or at least thats how I feel. I have lost a total of 11 pounds. I am aware that it is mainly water weight that has gone away. My problem area like so many others is my stomach. However, most of my weight is my stomach/hip area. For example, at my belly button my measurement is 52". I am 5'7" and 229 lbs. I feel like that is an extreme health risk to me.

I have been doing cardio for an hour to 2 hours every night, 100 crunches every other night, and last night I just started Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred.

I was wondering if anyone else had any results with toning and losing in the stomach area with certain exercises or DVD's. Also how long into the weight loss did everyone start noticing they were going down in measurements around waistline and dropping pant sizes?

Any help or advice or wisdom on this would be appreciated. I am working hard at this journey, and want to keep staying motivated. I am afraid that if my stomach doesnt start showing some results, I may getting discouraged.

Thanks!!
smccaleb06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

The standard line is that you won't be able to spot-reduce fat on your belly through exercise. Diet is the most important factor by far for weight/fat loss. Working out, especially strength training, is great too for overall health but not really primarily for weight loss.

Personally I have had some success in losing inches on my waistline. (Keep in mind that I can only offer my individual experience.) I have been following a diet called The Belly Fat Cure for about six months. I didn't choose the diet for that name but I have achieved both weight and inches loss all over my body including my waist. The plan is low sugar/moderate carb and does not require exercise. I do work out a few times per week including strength training but I don't spend an inordinate amount of time working my abs, just general total-body work.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

The only way to reduce overall fat and inches is to lose weight.

You cannot spot reduce. No exercise or "magical" food will cause your body to take fat from one place over another. Only your body decides where the fat is being taken from. We have no control over it.

Your stomach will go down given time. You're not going to be at goal weight with a 52" waist... that's just ...not possible!

Losing inches, just like losing weight, takes time. I hear you about wanting to be healthier... but you're already making the changes you need to be making. You've made exercising a habit, and you're watching what you eat.

There's not a whole lot else to be done other than to have fun trying new activities, and find the joy in eating healthier. After all, this is forever.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #4  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

For me, it's been 90% what I eat and 10% what I do. Exercise actually completely stalls my weight loss. I haven't started working out really hard core until just recently. Here I sit... STILL 4 lbs from goal. Oh well. But like another poster said, you won't hit goal with a 52" waist. So keep doing what works for you and don't give up! That's the biggest part. Don't give up.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 117/88/77 (Kgs)

Height: 5'8''

my non-expert advice: keep going. 30 day shred is great as well as some other dvds. variety is key. focus on your workouts and eating healthy, distract yourself, get very busy with work, hobbies etc, and u'll lose the weight without even realizing it. if you focus too much on progress every now and again, u might lose it. The real progress is in fulfilling your weekly workout goals, eating healthy foods that make you feel really great, and being happy and gorgeous just because you're doing something nice for yourself that you deserve. So keep going, u've lost 11lbs that's great, and stop looking over your shoulder for every ounce of weight and inch loss. If u stick to it, the weight will fall off when you're not looking! keep smiling!
fight2winthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 187/157/140

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
For me, it's been 90% what I eat and 10% what I do. Exercise actually completely stalls my weight loss. I haven't started working out really hard core until just recently. Here I sit... STILL 4 lbs from goal. Oh well. But like another poster said, you won't hit goal with a 52" waist. So keep doing what works for you and don't give up! That's the biggest part. Don't give up.
Hey all, I am new to these forums and I thought I would finally start to contribute!

I agree with ValRock on the exercise vs diet point..... I lost 32 lbs with weight watchers and no exercise at all. I am now in my second week on Shaun T's Insanity workouts and I have gained 2 lbs!!! I don't know why exercise counteracts my weight loss so much, I am making sure I eat my activity points and I rarely have days when I don't track or stay within my points range. This seems to always happen to me and I eventually give up on the exercise, but this time I am trying to push through and see of the initial weight gain will give way and I will start losing again! I figure I have to lose weigh initially because I am burning anywhere from 600-850 calories every workout.

I definitely think diet is the initial thing to address when starting any weight loss attempt, I was lucky because after yo-yo dieting my while life, I found WW and I am now lighter than I have ever been since I started weighing myself! Even at age 14 I was probably 5 lbs heavier than I am now! Now if I could only get this exercise thing to "work"!
Lazyerin is offline   Reply With Quote