Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile What's Your "GO TO" Veggie Dinner?

My wife...and doctor...are really pushing for me to go edit~ (more) vegetarian...(and less meat)

not sure I can do that all out but I am willing, and have been doing much better for some time now as far as eating less meat.

When the kids were here with all their ballgames/church activities/scouts/etc. our favorite go to meal in a hurry was...

grab a rotisserie chicken (shred it) ~ can of pinto/black beans ~ lettuce/tomato/onion ~ cheese ~ tortillas or chips...

we had burritos/tacos/nachos in a hurry and reasonably healthy

So, what is your "go to" veggie meal?

It doesn't have to be something really quick...the kids are gone!!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 07-06-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: clarify my doc's advice
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #2  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

ratatouille, veggie pizza or veggie soup.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 179/173.6/140

Height: 5ft 5"

Linguine alla puttanesca, vegetable bolognese, stir fry, a big bean salad...I could go on for HOURS!
bella83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

The really quick, comfort-food one is pasta with lentils, an Egyptian Jewish recipe from Claudia Roden's The Book of Jewish Food. Sauté a sliced onion in olive oil with cumin, coriander and cinnamon, and garlic; add a tin of green or brown lentils; once it's cooked, season with salt and pepper and put on pasta. Serves 2-3 depending on how hungry you are. Generally needs a dab of margarine/butter to go with, and I've been known to add a sliced tomato to the pan near the end.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

These ideas sound great Ladies...thanks...

which reminds me....Angie and I haven't been to the local French bakery, where we can get a really good ratatouille omelette, in a while...
Old 07-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey,
I am not vegetarian, but we eat at least one veggie dinner a week. I love roasted veggies with fresh basil and cilantro & garlic. And then a nice black bean burger. My doctor is a cradle vegetarian and she said the hard part is really getting all the vitamins you need and she said she has always had to take a 'good' amount of B vitamins, just FYI.

Good Cookbook is from the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca NY (love this restaurant, only about 40 minutes from where I live) You can find it on line or at Barnes & Nobles. Hope you check it out!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #7  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

veggie enchilada pasta:
6 oz whole wheat shell pasta
3 smallish zucchini
3 smallish summer squash
1 lb 12 oz can of crushed tomatoes
16 oz jar of (medium heat) enchilada sauce
12 pkg of frozen corn
hot ro*tel
can of black beans, rinsed and drained
can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 T minced garlic
an entire bunch of green onions
and all of the spices in copious amounts - cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. I like spicy and hot.
In large pot, sauté zucchini and squash in a little oil, salt and pepper until softened a bit. Take out of pan and set aside.
Add onions and garlic to pot and let them cook for a few minutes. Add in the beans, tomatoes/rotel, spices and enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5-10 minutes to let the flavors mix together.
Add in pasta and more water, if needed. Let the pasta cook in the pot.
Once the pasta is cooked, stir in the corn and the zucchini and squash. I waited until the end to add the squash back in so it wouldn’t get too soggy.

layered mexican dinner:
brown rice, lime juice, green onion, cilantro
fat free refried beans
corn
salsa
over easy egg
guacamole

tex mex roll ups
can of corn, drained
can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2T lime juice
2tsp chopped chives
2tsp garlic powder
1/8tsp salt
4 tortillas
mix first six ingredients and roll up in tortillas. Eat with salsa

lentils and rice
6c cooked brown rice, mashed with 1-2 avocados while warm
Add 1/2 15oz can lentils and 1/2c chopped peanuts
serve over romaine

bbq chickpeas
15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 bottle bbq sauce
1/4tsp onion powder
microwave 2 min & stir
serve over brown rice

cheap chili
15 oz cans black beans, kidney beans, black eyed peas
1/2 c chickpeas
14oz can diced tomatoes w/juice
15oz can green enchilada sauce
mix together -- add in water or broth til you like the consistency. Heat
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
My doctor is a cradle vegetarian and she said the hard part is really getting all the vitamins you need and she said she has always had to take a 'good' amount of B vitamins, just FYI.
Really? I thought it was meat-eaters who tended to be short on vitamins, since they tend to lurk in plant foods? I certainly get huge amounts of B vitamins from my diet, and I'm vegan. Even without the nutritional yeast, which I have a small amount of a few times a week (mostly in fake parmesan, together with ground almonds, miso and salt), my vitamins are all nicely high. The areas I tend to have to concentrate on more are the minerals, but hey, all diets have areas where you have to work a little harder. And oddly enough for someone on a wholefoods diet with lots of veg, I have to work at fibre, but I think that's because I'm eating 1100 calories and the usual fibre recommendations are for people on 2000 calorie diets, so it's naturally harder to get as much fibre in just over half the amount of calories.

Another favourite recipe in this household is pasta primavera. Sauté assorted green vegetables in olive oil and put on pasta, usually with basil pesto and/or some sort of green beany thing (e.g. frozen baby broad beans). Pine nuts or almonds together with raisins and a pinch of ground coriander is an alternative way of seasoning it, bringing it more to Middle Eastern than Italian. Broccoli, courgette [zucchini], artichoke hearts, spinach, leeks, peas, that sort of thing. I don't eat cheese but I'm sure you could add it quite easily. Colourful and fabulous and you know, I haven't made it in ages, this is actually a good reminder.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #9  
it's always something

I agree, Esofia. The bulk of our vitamins come from plant foods. I think the doctor mis-stated herself when she mentioned the vitamins. Doctors traditionally recommend B12 for vegans, though vegans as yourself that eat nutritional yeast don't even need to take B12. I really think the doc wasn't paying attention to what she was saying.

My GO-TO veggie meal is my vegetarian chili. It's only as good as I say it is if you use the same brands of ingredients, especially the seasoning, anything else will give a completely different flavor and I don't have a clue what it will taste like but it won't taste like mine

My Chili:
3 large sweet onions, chopped (I use Vidalia when available)
3 large red bell peppers, chopped (though I always use a large 28 oz can of roasted red bell peppers, chopped, and prefer Roland brand)
3 large cans (28 oz each) Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (best flavor and consistency with nice pieces of tomato)
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans black beans
2 cans white cannellini beans
4 Tbsp Smoky BBQ Rub from World Merchants Spice (key ingredient. Crucial ingredient. Seriously )
Saute the onions and red peppers (if using fresh) in a little olive oil, stir in remaining ingredients. Add a little water or vegetable stock if it's too thick. Simmer in crock pot all day. Tastes best the next day IMO. Freezes really well in individual portions. I always have some of this in my freezer.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:22 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

crockpot beans, veggies & seasonings to taste. I go Mexican, Italian, French, Indian, African with PB,or eclectic depending on my mood and what beans I have. In the winter i make a pot every weekend for quick weeknight meals.

Seasonal vegetable frittata

Greens & beans
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #11  
it's always something

Cyndi, what is African with PB?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Heat a little olive oil in a heavy skillet, toss in about a cup of chopped onion, and when the onions are almost soft, add 3 or 4 cloves of minced garlic and some red pepper flakes. Stir, and add a can of drained and rinsed chickpeas, and let cook until the chickpeas start to pop. Add several handfuls of baby spinach leaves and let them cook down, then add a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Shave a little pecorino or parmesan cheese over each serving. I get barely two servings from this, depending on how hungry I am.

(I sometimes make this with Swiss chard, and it's just as delicious.)
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #13  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Cyndi, what is African with PB?
This is the basic model but anything with beans, tomatoes, some spice, & PB. Sweet potatoes are also a good addition. My favorite cafe serves an African Peanut Butter Stew that has sweet potatoes and, I think, garbanzos and is amazing.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Thank you all so much!

I can't wait to try these choices

I edited my post to clarify my doctors advice. She wants me to eat lean meat and go green a lot more than I have...

not that Angie hasn't provided the options for me

Anyway, I have really done well in the last few years of adding more veggies (which I love by the way) to my meals...

The link below is the black bean salsa we made for dinner tonight to go over some brown rice that we dipped ..... well I did with tortilla chips...

Angie skipped the chips, used the fork.....better choice and more civilized

The website is from a blog of an awesome friend of hers....

http://goodcleanhealth.com/blog/?p=155
Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 PM   #15  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Burritos: Tortillas, black beans, spanish rice, pam "fried" onions & bell pepper, avocado & hot sauce =)

Spaghetti: WW Noodles, spaghetti sauce of choice, & pam "fry" some veggies -broccoli, carrots, onion, zucchini- So fast & easy.

Mashed Potatoes: Boil potatoes in vegetable or chicken broth, when done mix with seasonings of choice (roasted garlic is yum), I usually add a little of the juice after mashing also. Veggies on side.

Can Chili w/ Diced Baked Potatoes or Sweet Potato "Fries": Make potatoes in oven, when done pour chili on top, add a little ketchup if wanted.

Veggie Stir Fry: Broccoli, Onion, Carrots, Snow Peas, Teriyaki or Hoison Garlic Sauce. Serve over whole wheat rice. (stir fry veggies of choice using pam and a little soy or teriyaki sauce. I always also add garlic seasoning. When done mix with chinese sauce of preference and a little ginger seasoning.)

Quinoa Salad: Cook quinoa in veg or chicken broth, then drain put in bowl, mix with veggies such as green onion, green beans, corn, pepperoncinis, top with avocado and a drizzle of dressing if needed.

You can also throw veggies of choice, corn on the cob, and potatoes on the grill.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote