Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Suggestions for lunch on-the-go?

Hi there,
I'll be a junior in high school this year, which gives me the opportunity to dual enroll. Because of this, I won't have a lunch period - I have to use this time to drive to my other school. Really, it'll be easier to eat healthy because I won't have the chance to be tempted by the crap food in the cafeterias. But I need something I can eat on the go, as well. Does anyone have suggestions for healthy foods that I can eat while driving? Thanks!
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

There is no food that is healthy to eat while driving. Focus on your driving only.

You might make a healthy shake and drink it AFTER you've turned the ignition off.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I know it may sound like we're being too cautious, but I completely agree with Tejas. Don't try to eat (especially a meal) and drive. I've been driving longer than you've been alive, probably, and while I will admit to occasionally "multi-tasking" while driving I know that it hampers my focus. When I catch myself driving while distracted, I stop immediately.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but when it comes to driving, it's MUCH better to be safe than sorry!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm not the one driving. My mom is More like riding, perhaps...?

Last edited by McMurphy; 07-05-2011 at 02:53 PM.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Aha! Well, that's completely different!

Hmmm, well, I would take anything you would normally eat for lunch (that doesn't need to be reheated) - sandwiches, wraps, raw veggies, yogurt/yogurt parfaits, tuna with salsa, baked chips, fruit (cut) . . . I think the trick would be to make sure nothing is over-filled or messy. Bring an insulated bag with an ice pack and you can have pretty much anything you want.

I myself am a big fan of wraps - you can put lots of stuff in there (veggies, hummus, avocado, cheese, turkey/chicken, tuna) and wrap it up tight so it won't get messy. Just don't overfill!

Look around the forums for general lunch suggestions and I think you'll see lots of ideas.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 142/135/118

Height: 5'2

I used to bring my lunch sometimes when I was in high school, and I agree with everything Jen stated above. "Cold" lunches are the best to bring on the go. Wraps were my LIFESAVER -- they were so easy to eat, and the flexibility in variety made it different everyday so I never got bored. They're easy to eat and can definitely be brought on your car rides with you! My mom also used to make this really healthy flatbread and pack it for my lunch -- it was kind of like cold pizza, but I like cold pizza so I enjoyed it.

Other lunch sides and lunch ideas that I used to eat are hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks/wedges, whole grain bagels, apples and peanut butter, cheese and crackers, stuffed pitas, etc

Maybe if you had time when your mom parked the car, you could eat a packed salad? It could get messy otherwise.

I think your best bet are different kinds of wraps and sandwiches, and you can find healthy recipes for them everywhere.
RachelAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #7  
Momma on a Mission

Height: 5'8"

My go to car snack is raw almonds and string cheese.
mtnheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Whew, glad to hear that your Mom is doing the driving!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I make wraps all the time for lunch in the summer, but I really enjoy soup when it's cold out. Maybe you can do soup in a thermos to drink? My stainless steel travel mug keeps my coffee hot most of the day. I got it from Starbucks for under $30.

My most recent wrap that I'm loving is peanut sauce (1T natural peanut butter, a few drops of agave nectar, a t of sriracha, 2t soy sauce, and 1T water) mixed with 1 cup of broccoli slaw and some spinach or romaine wrapped into a sprouted rye wrap.

It's awesome!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #10  
it's always something

Munchy, that sounds delicious!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #11  

There are many alternative for lunch, you don't have to settle for the fast and easy hamburger or pizza that many of us have had before. If you are short on time in the morning, it is easy to prepare any of the above ideas the night before that way they are ready for you to grab on your way out the door. If you do order out with your mom in a hotel, always look for the healthiest alternative on the menu. Remember that lunch is as important as any other meal eaten throughout the day and shouldn't be forgotten or overlooked.
PhatBeth is offline   Reply With Quote