General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #1  

Height: 5ft 8inches

Default Healthy cereal that tastes nice??

I am getting really bored of eating porridge or weetabix everyday, it gets pretty boring! Today I was naughty and had coco pops for breakfast

Is there such a thing as healthy cereal that actually tastes nice aswell?

What do you lot do for breakfast?
JustGoGaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I'm of the mind that portion matters a lot. So if you wanted to eat coco pops... you could... you just have to watch the portion.

That being said, there are plenty of cereals out there that are possibly "healthier" depending on what your visions of health are.

I love Kashi GoLean cereals. They're crunchy and sweet. You obviously can't eat the whole box, but I prefer the ingredients in them over the latest kid craze box of Sugar Frosted Milk.

I also like oat bran and hot whole grain oatmeals. I usually heat those up and then put in some dried blueberries or maple syrup on my own so I can control what goes into it exactly.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/152/140

Height: 5 ft 9

Special K is nice you could have a chocolate cereal like wheeto's as its wholegrain but you'll have to watch your portion size. I also like Fruit 'n' fibre, but again because of the fruit and nuts in it you'd have to watch your portions. On the other hand you could dress up your porridge or weetabix, with natural yogurt, fruit (banana's,strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries are good)
IsobelRose22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Can you be a little more specific about what you're looking for with "taste"? Are you trying to find something that's sweet?

I have really cut down on my white sugar intake, which has helped keep me feeling fuller longer and helped me not have so many sugar cravings.

I'm not sure what's available in the UK, but I would second the recommendation for Kashi cereals. I'm also a HUGE fan of plain rolled oats (not quick-cooking) mixed raw into plain Greek yogurt (more protein!) with a touch of vanilla and cinnamon. Add some fruit and it's plenty sweet without sugar.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I love the taste of fiber 1 orginal crunch cereal. it's very filling (half your fiber for the day), is great as cereal or sprinkled over a little yogurt with some fresh fruit.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #6  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

You could try granola with yogurt and fruit or a fruit smoothie. In terms of cereal try oatmeal with vanilla extract, cinnamon, splenda brown sugar and any kind of berry. I also like the kashi cereals
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 244.6/237/155

Height: 5'5"

Honestly I eat honey nut cherrios with my daughter, 220 cals for 1cup of cereal and 1 cup of milk. Or I have a Blueberry ego waffle with her, 1 tsp becel, and a tbsp of syrup, only 190 cals, Both taste good
MellyWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #8  

Height: 5ft 8inches

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I live in the UK and I don't believe we get those Kashi cereals here..... I've been looking on tesco.com at the nutrition in cereals, many of them are actually not that bad. Like cheerios, I read that any of the whole grain stuff is best, and those are all good things like shreddies and cookie crisp (love that) but like

I just looked at Granola, that looks great, I'm going to try that this week. Thats a good point Lovely, it is all about moderation.

I do normally have banana smoothies for breakfast, but it does sometimes get boring.
JustGoGaGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/ticker/165

Height: 5'11"

I think mini-wheats are actually fairly good, they have some sugar on them but according to calorie count's website it's only 10 grams of sugar for 1 cup, which isn't bad.
LemonZest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 156/156/135

Height: 5'6"

Im not a breakfast fan, (which is likely half my battle since its the most important meal) but I have found that Kashi go lean crunch mixed with my favorite flavor of low fat yogurt instead of milk is really great. You can even add in fresh berries. It also makes a great parfait type snack!
MissBtoMrsPin2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #11  
Fighting to be Fit

Height: 5'3.5" Age: 22

My favorite "healthy" cereal is Honey Bunches of Oats-- Yum! Recently we've been eating Fiber One 80 Calorie cereal however, as it was on sale and I had some killer coupons. Only .87 cents per box? Yes please! You get a 3/4 cup bowl of cereal for 80 cals, add 1/2 cup Almond milk and you've got breakfast for 110 calories!
UrthWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Dorset Cereals are reasonably good, and Tesco sells several of them. I have a box of the Super High Fibre one (oddly, not the highest-fibre cereal they sell by now) in the cupboard for when I don't have time for porridge.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

Like the others, not sure what is defined by "tastes good", but I really love the taste of Nature's Path Flax Plus Cereal.

Their Pumpkin Raisin cereal is awesome, too.

My normal breakfast is usually the above cereals, if I'm in a hurry.
Otherwise, I make steel cut oats, or have fage 2% greek yogurt with fruit(berries, figs, OR a spoonful of all fruit jam).

Occasionally, it's toast with honey, or eggs and toast. I'm generally well behaved at breakfast. hehe

As has also been mentioned, if you truly can't get into the other cereals, have your cocoa puffs - just practice portion control. I will say that eventually you do come to prefer the taste and SATIETY of real foods and cereals with whole grains, though.

Last edited by RawrDinosaur; 07-08-2011 at 07:50 AM.
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #14  
Keep on Moving!

If you like bananas, Kellogg's Fruit n Fibre is really tasty and the coconut makes the milk taste tropical.
georgeshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/158/130

Height: 5"5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoGaGa View Post
I am getting really bored of eating porridge or weetabix everyday, it gets pretty boring! Today I was naughty and had coco pops for breakfast

Is there such a thing as healthy cereal that actually tastes nice aswell?

What do you lot do for breakfast?

Rasin Bran!! It is very good for you. The Rasins give you the sweet taste you love to get from cereal. Except it is a natural sweetness rather then throwing sugar on it lol. Plus you have the bran flakes in it as well. This is my go to cereal when I dont have my egg whites.
130ismygoal is offline   Reply With Quote