Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/167/138

Height: 5'6"

Default Can't afford a nutrionist but I don't know what direction to go!

I have been a big girl my entire life. I have never really been able to have a control over food, I seem to let the food control me. I am fairly athletic, I love to play lacrosse and run, yet weights confuse me. I'm saving money to see a trainer and a nutritionist, but being a full-time college student (even in the summer-ugh!) means I am one poor girl.
that is all sort of a ramble, but what I am trying to get at is, who wants to share their story on their exercise/diet successes? I must say, I am jealous of all the beautiful people here accomplishing such major feats, and I want to soon be one of them! so if anyone would like to share their story and give me somewhat of a direction, I am all ears!

btw my current stats are 5'6" and 167lbs, hoping to get to around 145 (just be healthy!!)
cgirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #2  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

You don't necessarily NEED a nutritionist or personal trainer... though they help.

Why not just try basic calorie counting and see if you like that? Keeping your calorie count at around 1500-1800 or something... and see if it works for you... or try low carb...

Just try to eat more fruits and vegetables... more "whole" foods instead of processed foods... and... just figure out what works for you.

For me... eating whatever I want works for me. I calorie count... but my aim is to stay under 1500 calories... I CAN go up to 1800... but no higher. I can eat whatever I want... which is great for me. Because I just don't like the whole "I can't eat this... I can't eat that..." etc. But I am allergic to things... But oh well.

And then just exercise when you can.

I mean... the biggest thing is just trying stuff and seeing what works for you. Not everybody loses weight the same way.

Good luck!
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #3  

I don't really have any special story to share, but I would suggest that you use all the knowledge available on the internet. There are some great sites out there that with all sorts of weight routines. Try the link below for a site that provides a few different types of strength training workouts, depending on your level and circumstance:

http://www.stumptuous.com/

As for diet, you might try Dieting for Dummies, which is a down-to-earth, no nonsense guide to losing weight. You can probably find that or other good nutritional guides in your public library.

I hope that helps!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #4  
SciFi Geek Gettin' Skinny

S/C/G: 186 / 156.6 / 140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgirl16 View Post
I have been a big girl my entire life. I have never really been able to have a control over food, I seem to let the food control me. I am fairly athletic, I love to play lacrosse and run, yet weights confuse me. I'm saving money to see a trainer and a nutritionist, but being a full-time college student (even in the summer-ugh!) means I am one poor girl.
that is all sort of a ramble, but what I am trying to get at is, who wants to share their story on their exercise/diet successes? I must say, I am jealous of all the beautiful people here accomplishing such major feats, and I want to soon be one of them! so if anyone would like to share their story and give me somewhat of a direction, I am all ears!

btw my current stats are 5'6" and 167lbs, hoping to get to around 145 (just be healthy!!)
I went from 206 to 140 in college, and am fresh out. Now, I did regain alot of it before finally putting a stop to it.

In that, I learned some valuable lessons though about how to lose weight.

Now, I am no expert, but I do have my own personal experience to share.

I do not know if your school has a gym? But mine did and it was included in tuition. I would do 45 to an hour of cardio nearly every day on the eliptical. After a while, I switched to weights. Use a low weight, just enough so you feel it and it makes you a little sore in the morning, lol. I went through the leg and upper body machines, would do about 15-20 lifts, about three times with rest in between. I would do this 2-4 days a week depending on my schedule, and after my cardio.
After I got more fit, I took up jogging every couple days.

As for nutrition: I recommend omega 3, it has soooo many benefits!! Take a multi-vitamin, and calcium.

I also cut out drinking, and any junk. Ate whole grains, plenty of veggies, some fruit, the basic things you think of as healthy. I reduced and watched my calories, eating about 1,200-1,400 a day. And we are almost the same height, so yours should be similar.

Hope this helps!
mlgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Are you sure your college/university doesn't give you access to some of the services you need? I have been able to see a nutritionist multiple times through my university totally free of charge/insurance. And I don't think the trainers at my school gym are free of charge but there are certainly an abundance of gym classes, including "Weight Lifting for Women." If I were you I would look into those services.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote